Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Hi everyone,thank You for all the infos! But I still got a question: I´m Russian, but for 10 years living in the Czech rep. (I´ve got my permanent adress here - I´m a resident, I´ve got mostly all the rights the Czechs have, including insurance and paying taxes:wink: ) Should I apply for the EU scholarship program or for the Basic scholarship program? And then - if I have to contact the embassy to send the documents - can I contact the Chinese Embassy in the CZ? Cause I have no possibility to get to Moscow. :wall

Thank You for Your replies!

Olga

ersoh, you can photocopy the application with the picture attached. no need for a new photo. and i dont know how or why your application is more than 20 pages, but im guessing it should be one-sided. i dont know. i honestly dont think it matters very much. theyre not going to sit there to count and make sure you have 20 pages or less.

Olzik,

even if you contacted the chinese embassy in cz, you are still a russian citizen. russia and china might have a different deal than cz and china - and it doesnt matter where you are a resident, you will be under the terms of your citizenship. you dont have to GO to the chinese embassy in moscow, but you should contact them either via phone or email to see what you should do.

tyrandfenrir,

that depends on the school you would end up going to and if your school accepts that university's credits. it has actually nothing to do with the scholarship itself - which is why we dont really have any information on it.

---

hope this helped you guys. good luck!

Edited by extrapages

@extrapages

ersoh, you can photocopy the application with the picture attached. no need for a new photo.

Sweet! You just answered one of my questions. I have exactly two passport photos remaining, but they are not the same photo (I took them at different times). I will use one on the application and then photocopy the form w/ photo attached.

Thanks, extrapages!

hi all!

i apollogize if i ask something that was clear in another post, but I'm really in a hurry

does anyone know if you have the right to work in china with the visa you are issued? if so, unrestricted? if not... is there any chance to change visas from there or is t mandatory that you stick to the original visa in order to keep the scholarship?

I plan on staying for a long term and have some fix expenses back home... being full time student for a year is not an option for me:cry:

and I'm extreemly happy that this forum exists. I just found it a couple of hours ago, when doing some research to go to china on my own after last year i descarted aplying for the CSC scholarship because instructions were uncomprehensive!!! I even found out there's a million "different" scholarships that consist -in the end- of the same thing and most likely are approved by the same department, just processed by diferent organizations. One was the UNESCO, so I tried to apply through them and they never replied!!!! ever...

So as I said, very, very happy indeed to find you.

code01

no i have to go through my computer and see if i save any of the info i gathered back then.:-?

does anyone know if you have the right to work in china with the visa you are issued? if so, unrestricted? if not... is there any chance to change visas from there or is t mandatory that you stick to the original visa in order to keep the scholarship?

This is something you should contact the consulate/embassy about to be sure, but its my understanding that neither the F nor X visas (the two which apply to CSC scholarship students, depending on their length of study) allow you to work. Its also generally the case that you can't change your visa while on the scholarship, although most schools seem to have some info on extending its duration.

I've read of many people teaching English under the table, and getting paid quite well for it too, but its informal employment, not necessarily stable and likely not legal.

Depending on what the debts are (i.e. student loans) you may be able to get them refinanced or have repayments put on hold temporarily, but that will depend on a LOT of factors and is really beyond the scope of this forum... =P

it seems i live in the wrong country because,here the deadline was afterall on December.And besides that they told me that i don't have hopes since one of the inquirments is the high school grade.And mine was very low.I m just very unlucky:cry::cry::cry:

Hi Everybody!!

I'm an ecuadorian citizen but now living under permanent resident status in the US, I tried to apply through my home country's Chinese Embassy but they said that they were only taking post-graduate applicants which seems to be unreliable information according to what I read in CSC website. As time is running by I'm considering the option of applying through the US China embassy, but not sure if they'd process my application since I'm only a permanent resident. Please I need your help guys!!! I tried to contact the DC people of the dept. of education from Chinese embassy but without positive response. Best luck to everybody in the blog, hope to see you all in China!!!

It seems i live in the wrong country because,here the deadline was afterall on December.

@travelgirl

Some jurisdictions do have this earlier deadline. My local consulate, for example, was December 15th. This sucks if you wanted to apply this year, but it could help you if you apply in the future, since it will likely mean reduced competition. There's unfortunately no info on which marks etc they take into account when applying... My high school marks were average at best (and all over the place and ranging from a 51% to a 96%) for the first three years, but my final year earned me an honours award from the provincial Ministry of Education; my university transcript/GPA so far is bang on the university average (2.5) and my Chinese class marks were not yet available, but I also had two stellar references from professors who are well known in the fields of Chinese History and Politics. Who knows what made the difference, but I got the scholarship in the end. If you can afford the cost of the medical/application you have nothing to lose. To quote an email I received from Peking U when I inquired about applying there through the scholarship scheme:

"[They] have no fixed requirement for GPA. [They] will take all the factors into consideration such as your university reputation in the world, your rank in your department, and other documents or certificates that can prove your abilities etc."

I'm an ecuadorian citizen...but not sure if they'd process my application since I'm only a permanent resident.

@valenciajosue

It's my understanding that you have to apply through the embassy/consulate in the country where you are a citizen. Its still possible to do it while out of the country, since you can email/call the diplomatic mission for info and courier the completed application package, but it is a hassle and likely more time consuming. There may be ways around this if, for example, you're an international student at a university with a special agreement with the CSC, or if you're already in China, but these are not the norm.

For the ecg, chest xray and blood test, is it required to send the original reports or photocopies?

@zingermeal

I only submitted photocopies (two copies) of everything, and when I was awarded the scholarship the Consul told me to keep the originals and bring them with me to China, to avoid having to retake the exam when registering at the university and applying for residency. The CSC application said that these photocopies had to be notarized, but since I submitted the package in person, and the Consul saw the originals, he said that wasn't needed (saving me a lot of money :mrgreen: ). I dunno if he simply stamped/notarized them, or if they're not needed at all, but contacting your diplomatic mission is the only way to know for sure.

What kind of information is needed for the following in the Physical exam form:

Development, nourishment, neck, eyes, coulor sense, skin, etc... up to abdomen?

My physician seems to be clueless about what to put there

For the USA, I think I've found the address to send the scholarship to, but would someone mind PMing or emailing the address to me in case I'm wrong?

I think it's this:

Education Office of Chinese Embassy

3505 International Place, NW

Washington DC, 20008

Right? Wrong? I've been unable to get anyone on the phone over there.

Thanks.

I have another question: if we are applying only as a Chinese Language Student, what do we need to put in sections 5.d and 5.e?

I only have my PDF of the application at the moment, and not the online form, so I can't see the section numbers. I'm guessing from your question that you're looking for the Discipline/Major which needs to be selected. In that section I selected: Chinese Language Student; discipline, Literature; and major, Chinese Language.

If that's not what you referring to, please post the form heading/section name itself.

Anyone who has the address where I should send my application? I'm ready to mail it now and I'd appreciate it! :clap

I live in the USA.

Oh, and to clarify one last time, I only need to send two copies of the application FORM, not two copies of each application item, correct? :)

Edited by Sarpedon

Applying to the university of choice before applying is OPTIONAL. We don't know if you get a better chance of either getting the scholarship or getting your first choice if you do get the scholarship. Also, there is no guarantee that you will get your first, second, or third choice that you list. There have been some people last year that didn't get any of their three and were sent to a random university.

1) I understand that applying to universities prior to applying for scholarship is optional but after we apply to CSC, do we still have to apply to the university or are we automatically accepted? (Might seem like a dumb question.. but just to be sure!)

2) I am looking into applying to HArbin Institute of Technology (LANGUAGE program only, not undergraduate) and I couldn't find any application for that.

Did anyone have this problem with any other universities? I'm also considering applying to Jilin Normal and Jilin U (but I haven't researched them thoroughly yet).

Thanks!

vkim67,

you have to choose your top three universities - if you get the scholarship, csc will handle everything for you (and you are automatically accepted) - and you just have to show up to the university they chose as your institute. sometimes you get one of your top three, sometimes you dont.

but if you REALLY want to go to harbin, apply and register as if you were going on your own. get back the papers from the university and send it in with your csc application. sometimes, schools dont have applications (especially for the chinese language program), but general registration processes. each school is different. youre on your own for that.

sarpedon,

we're not really sure. to be safe, some people have sent copies of EVERYTHING. ill PM you an address.