Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

I suppose I should introduce myself too:D

I'm a sophomore in University now, in the small state of South Dakota. Always been interested in China and figured that now is a good time to go there. There is no local embassy for South Dakota, I have to go through the Washington DC one.

I haven't got any papers notarized yet, but my bank will do that for free.

I applied to one school in Wuhan, in case I don't win the scholarship :lol: Other than that, my 3 choices for the scholarship are in Beijing.

I got my physical done at the local community health center, since I am a full time student with no insurance and a part time job, it was only $90 for the bloodwork, xray, and ECG.

What I learned and would like to share is: Get everything done ahead of time, with plenty of time to spare! I also learned extrapages is an awesome person for organizing this thread, and the last thread!

Hey everybody, I've been a long time reader of this thread and now a first time contributor. I'm an American currently studying the language at a Chinese university and a non-scholarship student. First, hats off to extrapages, and thanks to everyone else for taking time to help others. I hope I can give some assistance, but I have a question that i'm a bit stumped by.

-I visited the office in my university today to ask about the scholarship and it's due date and the lady responsible for it told me A) That the CSC scholarship is only available to students pursuing master's degrees, and B) since i'm already enrolled in a Chinese language study program in China (I just began, we are in the second week of classes now) I'm not eligible for the CSC scholarship.

I doubt either of these are true, in fact I know statement A is false. But can anybody verify that CSC scholarships are closed to those already studying IN China without support from the government?

Also, after reading through the thread, I'm still unclear on the due date: it says all materials need to be forwarded to Beijing by April 30th, but does anyone know when it needs to arrive in my home country's (USA) embassy?

Thanks a ton guys, and I'll do my best to contribute.

@Keynes

The CSC scholarship is obviously not only available to master's students, but its possible that your university only accepts master's/Ph.D students through the program, so she may be mistaken or telling your the truth for that school. I'm not familiar with the process of applying from within China, so hopefully someone can answer that part.

When it comes to deadlines, the CSC lists April 30th, but each jurisdiction has their own local one. For example, my local deadline was December 15th, and we received our admission notices in late February, but some jurisdictions are still accepting applications. Once you find out where you would have to apply, they would be able to tell you their deadlines.

Application Deadlines???

I want to apply for the master's degree scholarship but cannot find any official deadline?

In the CSC website it says that you must submit your application to the higher institutions supporting the scholarship and then they forward it on to the CSC. Does this mean that each higher institution has their own deadline?

I talked to a visiting scholar from one of the HEI's and she couldn't even tell me an exact deadline, just that I should apply to their website....

So should I contact universities individually about their deadline and then forward my materials to them?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

hi again,

I'm applying though my embassy (language program) and though they do answer the phone, I'm not sure they allways understand my questions. I'll be safe when i hand them personally, but I dont wanna spend two days on that so my final questions are:

-I'm getting my doctor to sign the form after i get all the tests results. Then I will do 2 black&white copies of the form, with the signature and stamp. and put those 2 copies in the folder. right? or should i get my doctor to stamp and sign the 2 copies so that they are "official" copies? so i spare on notary... or it wouldn't require being notarized anyway?

-then I copy the application form and make 2 copies and put all 3 on the folder. right? sonce the original goes with it, i assume it doesn't need being notarized. right? (it includes as part of the form an extra paper with the study description and all, just stapled)

-I'm also putting in the folder 2 notarized copies of my high school certificate. the problem is that in my country grades are not stated there, but thoughout the "school book". This is more than one page (not huge though so i could afford notarizing that) but doesn't say that I graduated. I'm trying to reach my high school (another city) and see if they coud issue a certificate that states both. that i graduated and the grades i earned. If they can do it, i'll ask them to send 3 copies, i keep 1 and put the extra 2 on the folder, right?

- i'm doing a Bachelor now, but will study only language in china, must i send my grades for my bachelor instead of the ones for high school? or both?

-my embasy says they dont need recomendation letters so i guess that'll be all.

I'm european, I know i can send it though my embassy bu also though brussels (or at least know off some not belgian appling though brussels). I suspect each "entrance" office does their own selection (regardless of a final selection by the school in china), has anyone heard wich way is it easier? spanish embassy or brussels exchange education office or something like that. (sorry i cant find the name right now)

thank you in advance, whoever may help.

code01

kongli,

Since you want to do masters, you can send your documents to the university directly. The CSC site is correct. Each university has its own deadline so take note that. If the university thinks you are qualified to their program/scholarship, they will send your documents to CSC for final approval.

Last year, I applied for masters program directly to the university of my choice. And then they informed me that since my chinese level is not enough, they would give me 2 years of language training which is also part of the scholarship.

I hope I made things clear for you.

For those others who have already bachelor's degree but just want to study chinese, you can follow the same thing I did and just forfeit the masters after 2 years of chinese.

code01:

There are two types of scholarship for EU citizen: There is the so called "EU Window" scholarship for 100 European citizen (you apply Brussels EU Mission), and there are many other "bilateral" scholarships (spanish-chinese; german-chinese, polish-chinese etc.). So if you apply at yout local Chinese embassy in Spain you will have obviously more chance. Spain is a big country so I guess your quota is relative high (just to compare, Hungary has 19 places. So I guess Spain should have more than 50).

Your other question, about the marks/grades. If your BA marks are good enough send them. If not, then send them your high school marks :)

And yes, I would attach a recommendation letter, at least one.. (I know that they say it is not needed, but it will not hurt)

You can notarize every copy you make, but its a waste of money and energy. If you send the original, the photocopy is enough.

hi lantos,

thakns for replying. I've decided to put my grades for the bachelor too. thank you. the recomendation letter is a pain, because I'm looking for a job at the moment and have bother my past employer already a couple times. asking them to actually write a "text" annoys me. I have only one personal comment to a course I took. It's not only about my personality or attitude in general, but about my ability to teach... i will add it, in spanish. and hope it works.

for the number of scholarships in spain: 18, of wich 3 ar partial! And spain is not only 5 times the size of hungary, it is also almost 5 times more populated. And through EU they offer 100... what should i do? I'm also uncertain in my embassy they give me all the info. it could even be that they don't take any language students. I don't know!!! :wall

good luck yourself, lantos.

code01.

Oh... only 18 for Spain??? That's few. It seems Chinese do not prefer proportionality.

Anyway if you apply EU Window, read through carefully the EU mission Brussels webpage about the special requirements. For example for this type of scholarship this year you SHOULD attach a recommendation (written in English/Chinese), its a precondition. (Last year it was optional, I didn't attach, I didn't get the scholarship). And there are some others too (including some strange ones, e.g the response-envelope with stamps. But since they are in Belgium, and the local post only accepts local stamps, we need Belgian stamps. I am sure that in your country every Mercadona sells Belgian stamps... :D)

about the recomendation letter, if it's difficult for you to get one, just fabricate one. They not really care about the authenticity. I know a person who even fabricated (photo-shoped) HSK certificate, and yes, he got this scholarship 3 years ago. Bad guys.:roll:

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here. The CSC deadline is fast approaching in the US and I suspect a lot more lurkers will soon be registering to discuss the applications and eventually their results.

I'm currently a college senior in the US hoping to spend the first year after graduation traveling and learning Chinese. I'm taking first year Chinese now at school and if all goes well, I'll be able to take more Chinese in my gap year.

My spring break is coming up and I'm looking forward to finishing and sending my application. I was looking through the old threads and it seems like the contact person at the DC embassy has changed. Does anyone know the DC embassy contact info and address for this year?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Found out about the CSC scholarship very recently. I am a graduating senior in the U.S.A.

I guess my best bet is to contact the Chinese Consulate General in Houston.

I hope their deadline is April 1st or April 30th... and not something depressing :(

I'm going to try to blaze through these forms/examinations/recommendations as quickly as possible(but making sure I don't miss a single thing!)

Good luck to you all

I will update with my progress and results

Update on my progress and a little bit more background information:

My teachers have blazed through letters of recommendation for me. One of my professors did the entire thing in a matter of hours.

I didn't just pick the Houston Consulate on a whim, they're the consulate for my general area. I did a search in the 2010 thread for 'Houston' but didn't turn up anything. What I did find out, however, is that the archived CSC Scholarship thread has a lot of useful information that one can search through(hence the suggestion on the very first post of this thread).

Two years ago, the Houston consulate had a deadline of Late-April 2008.

fsutalltree applied April 15th to the Houston consulate in 2009. I would also guess that last year's deadline for the Houston consulate was Late-April as well.

I emailed the Houston consulate yesterday but they have yet to get back to me. I might try calling today or tomorrow. One of the main key pieces of information I will ask for is the deadline for this year.

Anyone also doing Houston?

@m000gle

You were notified in February of your admission?

I was told by the contact person in DC that the CSC would inform us of their decisions in July. Do you believe this is their attempt to give us the worst case scenario, and there actually is a chance that they will notify us prior?

Also, how did they notify you of your admission? Email? Mail to your permanent address or your current address?

Thanks, m000gle!

-Helios

@BeijingStyle

I would apply via the Washington, DC embassy. They seem to be the only ones who handle the CSC Scholarship applications for Americans.

I am a Californian, and I sent my application to DC. The DC representative received my application, and as far as I can tell, she is okay with handling my application. However, I am not certain if this means that other embassies are unable to handle the CSC scholarship applications.

Best of luck,

Helios

Gosh, March 30, guess I should stop procrastinating and get my things notarized and sent off.

Would someone kindly tell me if this is the correct address?

And would I address my package to a certain Mr. L J ?

Education Office of Chinese Embassy

3505 International Place, NW

Washington DC, 20008

I've done a lot of reading through the archived thread, but couldn't find anywhere this was answered for sure. Searching "Chinese embassy washington dc" on google reveals 5 or 6 likely suspects.

Thank you in advance!

It seems as though the U.S.A. CSC scholarship is open only to students currently enrolled in a US university. This information is based upon several conversations I had with the New York branch chinese consulate regarding the scholarship. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Will

Helios, it varies by country. Ontario, Canada had its application deadline in mid-December, whereas most other countries and states have it later, hence the later notification. The reason for this is it is probably easier to process Canadian applications, since we are far, far fewer.