Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

@ceurvels

This is false. You can apply even if you are not currently a university student.

The deadline is March 30th, so you better hustle if you want to apply for Fall 2010.

@JonBI

But I don't want to wait until freaking July! *tantrum* Your deadline was in December, they released admission notices in March, which means they had a three-month turnaround period -- so fast! I want that turnaround time! Who's palms do I need to grease over here to get some fast actin' guanxi?

Just met a Canadian studying at BLCU on scholarship for a bachelors. He briefly mentioned how this coming year will have far fewer scholarships, but they will increase the payout of each scholarship. He mentioned there will only be 30 for Canada (down from 60-100?) and 2 for British Columbia. I'll question him on his sources next week, but anyone hear of this or should I stop with the rumor mill?

Baden,

Thanks so much for the reply. I actually figured it out myself (who'd have thought?), But thanks anyway hopefully it will help someone else out later on.

Also for anyone who is curious about the agency number, you should contact your first choice university by email and they will give it to you. Contact the International students office.

Also, as I previously posted, I had originally applied for the 1 year language study scholarship through my University. I was not awarded this, I was told, because I had already been to China and they wanted to give the opportunity to someone else. Note: This was MY UNIVERSITY not the CSC, if I had been awarded the scholarship they would have forwarded it on to the CSC.

Now I have applied for the Masters degree scholarship and I am applying through a University. I will post the results and more details when I find out in June, hopefully I can contribute something to this thread that has done soooo much to help me in my process.

Also, to anyone still applying for graduate degree programs. I was informed that the CSC deadline has been post-pond so make sure to contact the schools you are interested in directly, there still may be a chance to apply.

I also got my documents send finished, and now they are on the way to Belgium.

Good Luck to everyone!

Ps. I would like to know, how u guys handeled the problem with preparing an evelop for sending the documents back 2 u in case u get the scholarship.

I couldnt find a place where to buy stamps that could be used in Belgium so I just used some german ones. :conf

Hi Axses! first person who actually applied the EU window :mrgreen:

I will send my application on Monday, I prepared everything only the motivation/study plan is missing.

About the stamps... Your German stamps are unfortunately useless :( You could have done 2 things:

- buy Belgian stamps (order via online shop of the belgian post or ask somebody who is working/living in Belgium)

- use IRC (International reply coupon) - this can be bought in bigger post offices worldwide. But, with this IRC you can only use small standard envelope... And they wrote they will send max. 20 A4 pages with the admission package, so maybe the standard small envelope could be a bith tight.

I also had a real hunt for the stamps. But fortunately I found a friend, who had moved to Belgium this year, so she bought the stamps for me, and sent to my homecountry. But anyway, I guess the majority of the applicants could not buy belgian stamps...

Wie viele recommendation letter hast du Ihnen geschickt? und welche dokumente hast du auf chinesisch geschrieben/übersetzen lassen?

Hi Axses !!!

I also apply for Chinese scholarship government for the university year 2010/2011. I have sent all the documents required in Belgium. I could'nt find some stamps also, so In case I get the scholarship, I bought in my post office a"reply coupon" which will be exchanged in the other country's post office against a stamp covering the postal rate to answer me.

Good Luck !!! ;-)

hi lilou! :)

Yes I know at least 6 who got the scholarship (in person) from the last 2-3 year. And they are very different in age, character,and educational background. (Among this 6, there are people who had never learnt Chinese before they got the scholarship). Anyway, as I look through the "winners" of the last two year, the so called "new member states" are overrepresentated (just from the names, the half of the list is Polish, Czech or Hungarian).

About the when: It seems we have a new coordinator in the "EU Window" (last couple of years the coordinator was Mr. L. and now we have Mr. K.), so I am not sure about the notice. But last year the method was that they published a list in the middle of May about the pre-selection of the embassy, and actually this pre-selection was the final result. Two years ago they published the list late June, and three years ago they published the list on the internet only middle/late july, just after they sent the admission letters to the successful candidates. So best would be a pre-selection list in May...:roll:

I also have a question to you, how many pages were in your application alltogether? And what size had your envelope, and the attached reply envelope? and which universities did you select?

And your international reply coupon was a good idea... :)

Increase the payout? Like, more money for the monthly living stipend? I don't know how you can make a free education more free, other than increasing the stipend.

Pretty sure he meant they are looking for more long term commitments like bachelors degree+. I feel if I start guessing then I'll confuse more people, so I'll confirm with the student next week about his sources.

I can see where this new direction makes sense. Most of the scholarship students in my classes do not plan on continuing Chinese after the first year. Although I am in the beginner classes and everyone has their own reasons for studying, I wouldn't be comfortable with my level after only one year. Yet, going back to page one, we have no idea how to improve your chances. I wouldn't recommend everyone to request Doctoral degrees.

Hi Lantos !!!:D

First of all ,thank u for your response !!!:wink: to answer you, in my application I think there were approximately 20 pages, and my envelope and the attached reply envelope had A4 size. For the universities, I have selected BLCU, BISU and BFSU. and you ? which universities did u select ? I'm from France and u where do u from ? I hope we will get the scholarship because I really want to study in China to learn Chinese, in fact that's the first time I applied for the Chinese governement scholarship (EU windows) and I don't know what are the chances to be selected. I saw they awarded only 100 full scholarships and I don't know how they make their selection.

I want to doublecheck with the folks who are sending in their application to the Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C . Where are all of you sending it to?

I am about to send it to Jiangyi Liu at the Connecticut Avenue address. Is this the most updated one? Just want to make sure!

@Lantos

Oh well thats too bad. :-? Well I guess I just have to wait and see then.

Last year it wasnt all that troublesome...

I just sent them one recomondation letter. A professor from my university wrote it for me.

Then I also attached the results of my studies here in China for the last six month, and my Abi-Zeugnis (English-translation).

@lilou

Well, last year I got the scholarship through the EU window. And at my university there are about 6 six other guys, who also got the same scholarship.

urs

@maddalena:

if you check post #126 in this thread, you can find all agency codes, thx to Gibbs :wink:

BTW: BLCU is 10032

@lilou: last year my list was similar... BLCU, BFSU and something other. But this year, I changed my strategy, and chose institution out of Bj/Sh. Like hangzhou, xiamen..

anyway good luck for you (and for Axses too)! :wink:

Hi everybody! I hope everyone's apps are coming to a satisfactory completion.

I am so thankful for this thread and am definitely sending my app to the Washington, D.C. contact person. I thought I might cover all my bases if I could send it more widely, however.

Do any of you have contact info for the Los Angeles or New York Chinese embassies as well? If so and you're willing to share I'm eternally grateful!! :help:help

Loretti :D

Just met a Canadian studying at BLCU on scholarship for a bachelors. He briefly mentioned how this coming year will have far fewer scholarships, but they will increase the payout of each scholarship. He mentioned there will only be 30 for Canada (down from 60-100?) and 2 for British Columbia. I'll question him on his sources next week, but anyone hear of this or should I stop with the rumor mill?

Seems right, I applied at the Ministry of Education in Québec and they had 4 full scholarships and 15 partial. Didn't get an answer yet though...

Last time I bugged my "contact" in the Ministry, he said I should hear from them by email in the next week (which happened to be last week) when they finish the selection. Don't know if that means they haven't selected me and I'll get a nice "postal" rejection letter or they're just taking their time. :conf

I believe the Ministry will "preselect" 4 candidates among all the forms received and submit only those lucky chosen to the CSC or if they just all send them and let the CSC decide...

Just confirmed with the Canadian student today that he got his information from a CSC representative. I still take it with a grain of salt as a few representatives that I have talked to didn't really explain...anything.

I probably missed this somewhere, but he also suggested the U.S. is setup the same way. The certain amount of scholarships awarded to the U.S. are then broken down by state.

Don't know if that means they haven't selected me and I'll get a nice "postal" rejection letter or they're just taking their time.

Do we actually get rejection letters?

Another lurker here coming out of the dark - sent my application off today to the EU window with recorded delivery.. cost a lot...

I'm a bit paranoid about the fact that I printed the form off before I filled out the details of my guarantor's wife and parents as I didn't know they'd ask that and didn't know he'd be able to e-mail me in time. So I added that in pen.

Also, the application form has a checkbox with "two references" but the EU thing says only one, so I hadn't asked my other referees to prepare something after I got my first one. I attached a sheet with contact information of my other referees instead.

And finally, I'm a British national but I was born in eastern europe so don't have an English name. Do the chinese care about that kind of thing? As in, do you have to be born in the EU to receive the EU scholarship? I know for sure that I couldnt've gotten the one for my country since I haven't lived there since early childhood.

Good luck everyone!!