Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian US

Just met a Canadian studying at BLCU on scholarship for a bachelors. He briefly mentioned how this coming year will have far fewer scholarships, but they will increase the payout of each scholarship. He mentioned there will only be 30 for Canada (down from 60-100?) and 2 for British Columbia. I'll question him on his sources next week, but anyone hear of this or should I stop with the rumor mill?

Seems right, I applied at the Ministry of Education in Québec and they had 4 full scholarships and 15 partial. Didn't get an answer yet though...

Last time I bugged my "contact" in the Ministry, he said I should hear from them by email in the next week (which happened to be last week) when they finish the selection. Don't know if that means they haven't selected me and I'll get a nice "postal" rejection letter or they're just taking their time.

I believe the Ministry will "preselect" 4 candidates among all the forms received and submit only those lucky chosen to the CSC or if they just all send them and let the CSC decide...

A little update, about the canadian selection process.

:clap

I just got an answer today from the Ministry of Education of Québec and they have "recommanded" me for a partial scholarship. Now from what I understand, they won't recommand more than what is available. I had asked for a full scholarship (which covers tuition plus dorm plus insurance and some money to live (the standard thing) but they switched me to the partial scholarship (only tuition), probably because I was older and working full time (so less poor than a young full time student, I can understand that!).

So next step for me is the medical examination, send the form filled out by a doctor to the CSC representatives directly!

At that point, not sure what can go right or wrong, but I'm very happy!

@Soteria: welcome to the european squad. :wink:

About your concerns:

- the citizenship counts! So if you have a british passport/ID you are eligible fort the eu scholarship. Birthplace, name => not important (only in extreme cases).

Anyway in China you will need a Chinese name.

Haven't stopped in here in a bit.

I noticed that in my last post I had touched on the specific art requirements but didn't list them, and they don't seem to have been mentioned anywhere else in the thread.

There's a page on the official site that gives the ideal portfolio as 2 drawings, 2 paintings and 2 works in another medium. I can't for the life of me find the link right now but I'll drop it in here when I come across it again, just in case we have other art applicants for next year and so on.

I'm about to drop my app off at the post office this afternoon. Express mail ahoy.

dear my friend

1 i would ask how do notice me whether i get or not?i am in beijing

2 i will apply in beforehand,will they payback my registration money if i am accepted?

3 i came to doctor asking physical exam form,but they dont give unless i take a med check cost aroung more than 300,any advice?

i really looking forward your respond

thanks

Hi! for years Ive been trying to apply for this....now, i'll really gonna submit my application form and documents. but i still don't know where to submit it. anyone from the philippines here? ive been to the old thread before and told my 'story', should i share it again here?

@Sidhi

1.If you'll get the scholarship, the notice will be send to ur permanent adress.

2. I dont know about that. Just apply for it. If you get accepted at the university you don't have to register immediately. Just wait 'till u know if u get the scholarship or not.

3.If you need to do it now (for the EU-window u dont), than u will have to pay the 300rmb. Actually I think ur lucky since in most other countries you would have to pay way more than in China, so 300kuai isnt all that bad, I guess.

greetz

ps. where are u from?

A late update on my status...

I breezed through all the blood work and testing. It didn't cost nearly as much as I thought it would and didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would take. It took approximately 4 days from my first appointment to getting all the test results back.

Sent the whole thing off with time to spare. 100% sure I'll make the deadline and I'll be calling the consulate soon to make sure they got everything. If they say they're missing something I can still rush deliver overnight... or drive to Houston myself :shock:

It's pretty much waiting game now for me. If I don't end up getting the scholarship, I'll find some way to get a loan and pay the whole thing myself. I hope it doesn't come to that because it really would be a burden on me but I just want to study in China so much.

Good luck to everyone here and extra thanks to extrapages for organizing all the information together.

Hey there everyone,

Long time lurker interested in applying for the Fall 2010 CSC Scholarship. Been to China once before, and really enjoyed it. Spent around a month in Yunnan and Sichuan, and also some time in Hong Kong and Macao - feel free to send me a PM with questions about any of those places.

A few questions:

1.) It seems as if there's a wide discrepancy in terms of when applications are/were due. I assume this is because of geographical issues, but just to be clear, the general deadline for Americans applying through the Washington, DC embassy is April 30th, correct?

2.) I'm a college dropout, who maintained high grades all the way through (at a decently ranked institution), but left because of mental health/financial issues. Will not having my college diploma be a huge hindrance to being awarded the scholarship? Should I even include my college transcripts?

3.) Given the above, I assume that I should apply for a scholarship leading to the B.A., but I will admit I'm confused as to how people are applying for scholarships which just involve language training. Any thoughts on this? (Also, is the speculation with regards to overfull language classes true? It seems rare that someone gets awarded 2 years of language training.)

1.) It seems as if there's a wide discrepancy in terms of when applications are/were due. I assume this is because of geographical issues, but just to be clear, the general deadline for Americans applying through the Washington, DC embassy is April 30th, correct?

The wide discrepancy in terms of due dates, and specific application requirements (what needs to be notarized etc), seems to be more a jurisdictional issue. Each diplomatic mission or sponsoring agency seems to have flexibility in how they implement the process set out by the CSC, and some have specific agreements with universities etc. For example, some follow the CSC deadlines (and are still accepting applications now) while others set their own earlier deadline (for example, Toronto's was December 15, and we received our admission notices back in February). Your best bet is to always just contact the consulate/embassy directly, although hopefully someone here will be able to give you those details to avoid that hassle =P

2.) I'm a college dropout, who maintained high grades all the way through (at a decently ranked institution), but left because of mental health/financial issues. Will not having my college diploma be a huge hindrance to being awarded the scholarship? Should I even include my college transcripts?

If you maintained good grades all the way through, then I doubt this will be a major issue. I'm still a university student and included both my completed high school and incomplete university transcripts in the Education Background section. You list the certificate/degree "obtained" or "to obtain" so you would list the latter as its still technically in progress. What can make or break any application (especially ones with incomplete transcripts) are the letters of recommendation... Get two stellar ones from an employer or former prof and you're good.

In terms of the mental health issues, there are specific disorders listed on the medical examination form. If its not one of those, and you feel up to the challenge of living/studying abroad, then its probably not worth mentioning.

3.) Given the above, I assume that I should apply for a scholarship leading to the B.A., but I will admit I'm confused as to how people are applying for scholarships which just involve language training. Any thoughts on this? (Also, is the speculation with regards to overfull language classes true? It seems rare that someone gets awarded 2 years of language training.)

This really depends on what you're planning to study while in China, your prior background/proficiency in Chinese etc. If you want to study Mandarin for up to two years, then apply as a Language Student. If you're planning to start and complete your entire 3-4 year undergraduate degree in China, in Chinese Language, History, etc and have the appropriate fluency in Chinese required to enter a normal stream in one of their schools (HSK3-HSK6+), then apply for a B.A. program. My guess is that the former applies to you, as it did for me.

What can make or break any application (especially ones with incomplete transcripts) are the letters of recommendation...

Are we really sure the recommendation letters carry much weight with this scholarship? Besides pulling up horror stories online, I've never heard of a "Bad" recommendation letter. When I did reference checks at a prior employer I found talking to a supervisor provided the best information. Yet, someone isn't going to ask their supervisor or teacher if they have nothing good to say about the applicant.

Are we really sure the recommendation letters carry much weight with this scholarship? Besides pulling up horror stories online, I've never heard of a "Bad" recommendation letter.

Good point. I can't really be sure they carry that much weight, but they can never hurt and in my case they may have made a difference. My university marks were average at best, but with recommendations from two well-known professors (one is the head of the university's Chinese Language instruction and the other a well known scholar of 20th century Chinese history/politics), I think my odds improved.

This might interest those of you who have applied for the EU window (deadline was yesterday):

"I am sorry that we can not confirm the receipt since there are already 600

applications in my office.

Thank you for your understanding."

6/1 odds then... is that good or bad?

"already 600 applications in my office"

I don't want to be negative, but this could mean that there are hundreds out of the office (maybe already in the garbage)... :roll:

I wonder what will happen with the tons of unused reply envelopes... And I am especially interested about the "stamps-issue". Maybe this whole thing was because the officer wanted to collect some stamps from all over Europe.

@Soteria

If you had sent your application package via registered mail, you could ask the local post (so in your case the british), because they always get a feedback, when a mail is delivered. I called my local post, and I was quite suprised, how quick the infamous eastern european post service was (i sent on 22nd and they delivered in Brussels on 24th).

Anyway, it's an improvement that they even answer your inquiry. If you are in correspondence with them, you could ask them if there will be any pre-selection list published in the middle May or not...

Well, I sent it with recorded delivery and the pin code the post office gave me didn't work online, which is why I sent an e-mail asking if they've received it.

As for stamps, the same guy told me to send international reply coupons, which cost me like £6, so if anything, that's what they're hoarding..

I'm pretty sure that it referred to the number of applications he's received. At least if I were in his position I wouldnt start evaluation until the deadline day, because this way you get it done quicker and you treat everyone fairer (what if all the crap ones sent theirs in extra early etc).

:)

I've read pretty much all the posts about the scholarship and BLCU, and I seem to remember someone saying they would get their answers for the scholarship as late as july. Maybe I am mistaken, could this be true?

Now the deadline of application for the one year course is july 19. I know they are supposed to register you if you get the scholarship, but if I don't get it, I will still be going (maybe not for a full year though...) but will need to register myself, and I wouldn't want to register now, if I get it and they do it for me, I'll be registered twice... :wall

Can anyone shed some light?

I just received a letter from the organization that handles the scholarship here in Switzerland, and I was recommended for a full scholarship. Which was kind of a surprise for me, since I nearly finished my engineering studies and applied as a language student..

Unfortunately, for the final decision, I'll have to wait. Last year, the applicants were informed at the end of July :-? what a short notice..

So anyone knows what the chances are, that I really get the scholarship? Okok, it says in the letter that normally, the applicants get what they were recommended for. But still.. I'm used to be not normal, so.. :roll:

@Pascal Ma

Well. For the EU-window, they released a pre-selection list in early May last year.

This list actually was the final one.

For the general scholarship I'm not too sure, but I talked to a guy who got that scholarship, and he told me, that he got the notice in late July.

So I think, that if u really want to study at BLCU, you should register before the deadline.

Just because u cant be sure if you get the scholarship or not. I think its no prolem to register twice.

Got luck to u anyway!

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum-- you guys really have some great stuff up here. I appreciate all the info!

I am planning on moving to Shanghai in late August. I am applying for the CSC Scholarship and to Shanghai Jaiotong's long term Chinese training program. I plan on being in Shanghai anyway (boyfriend is living and working out there now) which is why I am applying to the school before hearing back from CSC.

I am graduating from law school in May--any recent law grads out there who received the scholarship?