Chinese-Forums

Newspaper Article of the Day

renzhe

Q1. What is羅生門?

It's a Japanese short story by 芥川龍之介, perhaps Glenn has read it before?... sounds like it's not very uplifting, lots of stealing from dead people...

Q2. What is 控股?

That is a "holding company", very popular corporate structure in China these days, mainly due to certain tax breaks you can get by consolidation of large businesses.

Q3. What do 二房 and 三太 mean?

二房 is his second family I think, and 三太 is probably his third wife (who is part of his second family?)

I had a very hard time reading that article, I'm not really used to that writing style I guess.

Re 羅生門.

In this context it refers to Akira Kurosawa's film, in which different people tell the same story in different ways because of their different perspectives / intentions so it is difficult to tell what the truth is and who is / are lying. This is also how this reference is usually used.

Yes, I have. I'm a fan of 芥川龍之介, actually. By the way,

(skylee probably already knows this), the setting for 羅生門 the movie was taken from 羅生門 the short story, and the story for 羅生門 the movie was taken from 藪の中 (Yabu no Naka/In a Grove), also by 芥川. 藪の中 has actually become a common noun in Japanese to describe a situation where everyone's stories conflict and the truth is hard to discern. Incidentally, I've seen the 黒澤 film and read both short stories. :D

A real life encounter with Jaws! :o

大白鯊狠撞 漁船險翻覆

澳洲西部三名漁夫日前出海去,之後遇上一隻大白鯊,一開始他們以為牠只是路過就走,沒想到牠一直在船旁打轉,並狠撞船身好幾次,讓漁夫們嚇得趕緊落跑,這驚險的畫面,也被他們拍了下來。

今日新聞網報導,這起意外發生在西澳大利亞省,漁夫在捕魚時遇見一隻大白鯊,原本以為牠只是路過,之後牠不知是好奇還是想抓癢,就開始用身體猛撞船身,讓整個船隻劇烈搖晃,上頭的漁夫們嚇得趕緊開船跑走,最後幸運逃脫,無任何人傷亡。

據了解,大白鯊是不會無故去撞人類的船隻,可能是漁夫們在事發前曾跳進海裡游泳,引發大白鯊不高興,牠才會有這種舉動。

問題:

1)What is the meaning of『險』in the title of this article?

2)What is meant by 抓癢? Do shark's even need to do this?

3)What is the guess as to why the shark was behaving this way?

A short article about an event the reporter accidentally witnessed, and a comment on the loss of values nowadays. I was expecting more juice, but it's just a short story about an accidental hero.

78岁老人摔倒一度无人敢扶 小伙扶起路人作证: http://society.people.com.cn/GB/1062/13807757.html

昨天下午,记者路过南京市新街口金鹰地下通道时,看到一名小伙刚刚将一倒地老人扶起,就在小伙扶起老人准备离开时,两位逛街的阿姨拉住小伙的手,连说小伙好样的同时,也表示:“如果跌倒老人当时有其他说法,一定会替小伙作证的!”

老人地下通道跌倒,一度无人敢扶

昨天下午1点40分左右,记者在新街口金鹰地下通道过街时,发现在靠近金鹰商场旁的一条地下通道口聚拢了不少人,记者赶到后,发现是一小伙正从地上搀起一位颤颤巍巍的老先生,而众多路人正在远远地看着小伙做好事。

其实小伙做好事也就短短十几秒,记者根本来不及掏出相机,小伙子已经将老人扶起并准备离开。老人站起来后拍拍身上的土,朝新街口方向走了几步,仍是步履蹒跚;就在小伙子大步流星向管家桥方向走去的时候,目睹了小伙助人整个过程的两位年龄50多岁的阿姨,却拦住小伙,一边向小伙伸出大拇指,一边称赞“好人一定会有好报”。

Good luck for those who go overboard while celebrating the Chinese New Year.

北京大医院春节不停诊 专家出诊比例不输平日: http://society.people.com.cn/GB/13828472.html

中日友好医院、天坛医院等北京多家三甲大医院今年(2011年)春节期间不停诊,急诊24小时应诊,门诊则坚持全天候或半天应诊,确保市民有病及时看,患者的诊疗不中断。

北京市卫生局昨日(26日)介绍,今年春节是北京30余家三甲医院开展无假日门诊后的首个春节长假。同仁医院、天坛医院、儿童医院、朝阳医院等患者众多的大医院,除坚持不停诊外,还将在重点科室多安排副主任医师以上的专家坐诊,做到“专家出诊比例不输平日”。比如,以眼科闻名的同仁医院,大年初三到初六期间,覆盖青光眼、白内障、近视弱势等各种眼疾的眼科专家,将轮流全天出诊。

三甲医院 = http://baike.baidu.com/view/1694974.htm

上次的答案:

1)What is the meaning of『險』in the title of this article?

Here,『險』has the adverbially means of "almost, nearly" (幾乎、差一點).

2)What is meant by 抓癢? Do shark's even need to do this?

抓癢 means to "to scratch an itch" (手指在發癢的部位使力來回移動,以減輕發癢症狀), so perhaps the shark was just rubbing up against their boat for a little scratchy-scratchy? Do shark's even get itchy?

3)What is the guess as to why the shark was behaving this way?

According to the article 「可能是漁夫們在事發前曾跳進海裡游泳,引發大白鯊不高興」, "Perhaps if the fisherman had jumped in the water for a swim beforehand this might've have incited the shark to be upset". Do shark's get upset? Or, just hungry?

A large traffic accident in the Ningxia province.

宁夏西吉县重大交通事故 已11人死亡22人受伤: http://society.people.com.cn/GB/41158/13845016.html

人民网银川1月29日电 (记者周志忠)记者从宁夏西吉有关部门获悉,1月29日14时许,西吉县红耀乡发生一起重大交通事故,当场死亡9人,另有2人送往医院后因伤势过重抢救无效死亡。目前死亡人数为11人,另有22人不同程度受伤。

据记者从西吉县重大交通事故救援现场电话采访了解,事故车辆是车牌号为宁D.06895的中型普通客车,载客33人,由西吉县城开往红耀乡,客车行至红耀乡红马公路71公里+500米处(张白湾梁)路段时,因天气降雪道路结冰翻入10多米深的山沟。宁夏西吉县消防中队接到报警后,立即出动2车12人前往事故现场救援,经过破拆等措施将车内被困人员全部救出。

Sorry it's been so long! Here's a good story to make up for my absence of posts on this thread:

iPhone丟了 待垃圾堆找2天

英國費勒姆(Fareham)一名40歲男子,為找回意外被丟棄的iPhone,不惜在垃圾堆待了兩天,但仍不見手機蹤影。當他準備放棄之際,卻奇蹟似聽到電話鈴聲,讓他找回電話。

賴特(Rob Wright)買了數月的iPhone 4,日前被女友威爾德丟垃圾時一併丟掉。威爾德發現時,垃圾已被工人運走。原來手機儲存了一家人聖誕時所拍的珍貴照片,所以賴特急著想找回手機,馬上致電相關公司攔截垃圾車,並在工人協助下,在七噸垃圾中不斷尋找。

正當他們準備放棄,一次一次撥打賴特的手機號碼時,終於聽見鈴聲,手機最後得以物歸原主。賴特對失而復得大感興奮,並自掏腰包給工人紅包,以答謝他們的協助。

Questions:

1)Who threw the phone in the trash?

2)Why did Rob want it back so badly?

3)How did Rob finally find his phone?

4)Would you go to these lengths for your phone?

1)Who threw the phone in the trash?

His girlfriend.

2)Why did Rob want it back so badly?

The phone had family Christmas photos stored in it.

3)How did Rob finally find his phone?

Garbage workers went through loads of trash to look for it. He dialed his phone number many times and finally heard his phone ringing.

4)Would you go to these lengths for your phone?

Yes, I would for my iPhone. And it was very nice of Rob to reward the worker with a hongbao.

• Like 1

And you thought driving and texting was dangerous~!

糗…走路打简讯 她掉入喷水池

许多人都知道,边开车边打简讯很容易酿祸,而英国一名妇人是边购物边打简讯,听起来虽然没那么危险,但她走著走著跌进喷水池中,全身都湿透了。

今日新闻网引述英国每日邮报报导,一家购物中心监视器画面显示,一名妇人直线向前走,手里拿着手机打简讯,完全没抬头查看周围。当她走到一个喷水池边时,「咚」的一声,整个人栽进去。

妇人赶紧从喷水池爬出来,匆匆离开现场。十分狼狈的她,不仅是衣服需要拧乾,恐怕连手机都已经坏了。购物中心保安反复观看画面,觉得实在太好笑,将影片与同事分享,并上传到影音网站。据报导,事发当时一名正在清扫的工人透露,他上前询问妇人是否有受伤,妇人尴尬地摇摇头说自己没事,「只是有点湿」。

边开车边打简讯,在许多国家是被禁止的,因为一手握方向盘,一手按手机按键很危险。报导指出,为了遏止驾驶人这么做,英国警方曾制作一支宣传短片,以血腥的车祸画面让观众产生警惕。

問題:

1)Why did she fall in the fountain?

2)Was she okay, did she get hurt? What happened to her?

3)Have you seen this on YouTube yet?

If not, then you must: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg11glsBW4Y, How embarrasing~! :oops:

Q4 - How come the video is on youtube?

Because the world is a beautiful place filled with people who do ugly things?

Because people are mean?

There are countless answers...

I'm one to talk though... I posted it here!

Does that make me an ugly person?...

1)Why did she fall in the fountain?

She was out shopping and texting at the same time.

2)Was she okay, did she get hurt? What happened to her?

She fell into a fountain and climbed out. A cleaning guy asked if she was ok and she said yes, just wet. Security guys viewing the video of her fall thought it was funny fun.

3)Have you seen this on YouTube yet?

No, not yet, at least not me....

Q4 - How come the video is on youtube?

See answer to question 2. The security guys decided to "share" the video on the internet.