Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

@Faisal and @Brian US - Your theory sounds interesting and plausible. So, what do you think of the following questions?

1. Those students whose scholarships are fully funded by CSC:

a) Are the Universities taking these students b/c they are essentially sponsored by CSC and 100% paid by CSC?

b ) Would these students have gotten into the Universities if they had applied directly?

c) Are these the students that have already been notified via email/mail by CSC/embassy?

2. Those students whose scholarships are fully funded by the Schools:

a) Are these students sponsored by the Universities and their tuition paid 100% by the Universities?

b ) Do these students still get the Honor and recognition of being a "CSC Chinese Govt. Scholarship Awardee"?

c) Do these students still get the monthly stipend, settlement and intercity travel, and medical insurance?

d) Are these the students that are listed on the Universities' websites?

e) Will these students receive a packet and JW01 from the CSC/Embassy or from the Universities directly?

And Finally, the big picture question to help all those who will be applying in the future:

1. Is it easier to win the CSC Scholarship if you apply directly to the Universities (and then prepare an application for CSC's endorsement) - OR -

2. Is it easier to apply "only" through CSC, then list your top three choices, and let CSC determine where you will go?

guys, the Chinese embassy just called me today!=D the wait was so worth it. they told me that i have to go to their office this week for my admission and visa application. i hope everyone gets a call too! best of luck to everyone!=)

1. Those students whose scholarships are fully funded by CSC:

a) Are the Universities taking these students b/c they are essentially sponsored by CSC and 100% paid by CSC?

This depends on the university. As some members have posted, there are schools that will automatically accept you if they receive your application from the CSC. I think the hardest schools to get into are Tsinghua and Beijing University, possibly because they pay out of their own pockets and are then more picky with who they accept.

b ) Would these students have gotten into the Universities if they had applied directly?

This depends on the university. Many universities will have a quota for how many scholarships they give out. Most will probably go through the CSC and there will be a few for them to hand out at their discretion.

Think of the CSC as the main organization for the Chinese government. Everything comes from this organization, however there are hundreds of other organizations that get funded through them. The next largest being the Confucius institute. We don't cover these other programs, because there are too many and their requirements vary too much.

c) Are these the students that have already been notified via email/mail by CSC/embassy?

This depends on the university. Some will notify you directly, some will go through the CSC, some will simply post the winners online.

2. Those students whose scholarships are fully funded by the Schools:

All of the following questions depend on the school. Remember there are partial scholarships that will only cover certain things, but almost always cover tuition.

a) Are these students sponsored by the Universities and their tuition paid 100% by the Universities?

b ) Do these students still get the Honor and recognition of being a "CSC Chinese Govt. Scholarship Awardee"?

c) Do these students still get the monthly stipend, settlement and intercity travel, and medical insurance?

d) Are these the students that are listed on the Universities' websites?

e) Will these students receive a packet and JW01 from the CSC/Embassy or from the Universities directly?

And Finally, the big picture question to help all those who will be applying in the future:

1. Is it easier to win the CSC Scholarship if you apply directly to the Universities (and then prepare an application for CSC's endorsement) - OR -

2. Is it easier to apply "only" through CSC, then list your top three choices, and let CSC determine where you will go?

Depending on your region, I suggest applying through the CSC. The EU is extremely competitive, so it might be best to contact individual schools as an European. The main benefit of applying through the CSC is that they will send your application to multiple universities. If your top three choices won't work out, then there is a good chance they will find another school for you.

If you do not meet a specific requirement for the CSC, then contact schools directly.

@Brian I want to ask about scholarship annoucement,is your classmate know it from web?or directly ask at renmin university?

I already called renmin but he says waiting for annoucement on web,but i don't know the web which issued the scholarship annoucement

He was notified from the office directly as he lives on campus. He was told the university has 40 scholarships to give out and they would send the documents to the EU for him. He is probably getting this special treatment, because he is already a language student and it was done in person.

• Like 2

Ben @

I am very sorry for your scholarship result!

The EU scholarship is only for a 1 year language course, there are no other options (Master, Phd, etc).

I suppose from the names on the list that the great majority of the successful applicants are Eastern-European, around 10% the proportion of Hungarians. I am Hungarian, and my classmate also received this scholarship.(So you had less chance if you are not from this area). Last year we also applied for the scholarships and we didn't get it, this year we did everything together, I saw all his papers so I can tell you about both of us.

I tell you what we did different in this year:

Last year we applied with no Chinese exam, this year we have HSK 3.

We study Chinese at University, last year we emphasized this, this year we didn't even mentioned it in the letter of motivation, I study in another University and I sent those university transcripts as well, (last year I didn't).

Last year we asked for letter of recommendation from our Chinese teacher and the rector of the university where we study Chinese (that is a smaller, not very famous Uni), this year my classmate asked for one rec letter from the Chinese teacher and the rector also signed that, and the other letter was written by a Chinese Company in Chinese regarding his working abilities. I also sent a rec letter from the Chinese teacher signed by the rector, the other university where i also study is one of the bests in my country, I could ask the dean for a rec letter, and I sent a third one, during the summer holidays I was an intern in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in my country, and I could ask a rec letter from my boss there.

This year we sent the photocopies of our other language exams (English- English, Spanish), even if they didn't ask for it.

Did you send the psychical examination form as well? If I remember well this year they asked for a complete form. We both did it, asked for a red stamp on it, for the AIDS test and the lung x-ray as well, and we sent the color photo copy of all in the application package.

I think that maybe the letter of recommendation and the citizenship could count... but I really not sure that there were rational selection criterias.

But next year I suggest you to ask for a recommendation letter from an "important person". And apply for the Confucius Scholarship too, so you have more chance!

I wish you good luck!

• Like 2

• New Members

@Marietta thanks for these precious informations ! that's funny, I already met a Hungarian girl in China, she was (2009-2010) enrolled in a University in Changchun (Jilin Province), with the Chinese government scholarship too ! and that's the one who gave me this idea of applying to this scholarship this year ! yep, seems that Hungarians are popular for the Chinese gov ! B)

I'm currently in Taiwan and I guess I'm gonna stay a bit longer here then : ) and for u, enjoy China from September, congrats !

• Like 1

Just spoke to MR Ke Changqing, the guy from the Chinese mission in Belgium. He said that they are still waiting for all the EU scholarship papers to arrive from Beijing so it will take a few more days before we start receiving them.

@Marietta: i only applied for a masters degree (with the addition of 2 years of chinese language study in case the university did not provide the masters course in english, but all of the universities i requested do) so it would be interesting to see if you are right about what you said that they only give scholarships for 1 year language courses. To be honest, i will be a little disappointed if i am only given a year of chinese instead of the masters degree i requested. At the same time i'm extremely happy that i got selected at all. Unfortunately no university has contacted me so far to say that they have selected me, and MR Ke Changqing directly told me that he can't be bothered finding out what exactly i've been selected to study. He told me i should just be patient and wait. Basically, all i know is that my name is on the list. i have no idea where i'm going to and how long for. Will let u guys know. I sent a few emails to the universities i applied to, but no answers

On a different note, to me it seems its just downn to luck with winning this scholarship. I didn't do anything special with my application that may have given me an edge over the other people: first time applying,completed my bachelor's degree and applied for a masters. i don't have any chinese knowledge, or anything at all different or additional to what they asked us to include in the application form: 2 referees from uni, the standard physical examination form with all the tests, a masters research resume. thats about it i think. On top of everything i applied through a UK passport. Therefore i consider myself really lucky to be on this list. as far as i see it, its a lottery. good luck for the next year to all of you that fought hard but weren't successful this year. just don't give up.

And thank you everyone on the forum for being so helpful!!

• Like 2

@brian :

do you know the office in renmin??cause today i ask my friend to help me to going to renmin university and going to internasional building but they have no idea where i can check the scholarship annoucenment...

do you know where the building is?

when you accepted on renmin,you also need to waiting on the web or you have called by renmin university?

do you know the web that annoucement the scholarship?

Ben @

:) Maybe she was my schoolmate, I know that one of them was sent to there instead of Hangzhou, her first choice;)

Thank you very much for your good wishes, I hope that next year you will be selected! I think it is not very important to mention that you are/have been to Taiwan, and you speak Chinese!

lovelife @

Thank you for this information, I thought that I will get the admission material this week (next Monday I go to China to a summer university). Then I know that my parents have to send those after me. I saw this at the homepage : http://www.chinamission.be/eng/lxzg/ofzz/t803087.htm , here check anex 1, which says:

"This scheme sponsors EU students to study Chinese in China for no more than one year. The awardees shall enjoy the status of “Chinese Language Students”"

But I can imagine everything, and if its true and you got this scholarship only for one year, I think you can apply for other scholarship for Master courses!

And you are right, this really look like a lottery:D

"Dear Applicant,

Thanks for applying 2011-2012 Chinese Government Scholarship. We are sorry to notify you that you are not selected by the scholarship committee.We appreciate your interest in study in China and the time you invested in application.

For your information, here is a website of Chinese Ministry of Education, offering scholarship information to study in China. http://www.studyinchina.edu.cn/

Best regards,

Xiao Liu"

I don't understand: BLCU admissions said I was admitted for this upcoming academic year, but the embassy told me I was rejected.

the exact same thing just happened to me, Helios. I'm calling the university again in the morning, Beijing time. The woman at the DC embassy claimed this is an entirely possible occurrence and we have won the scholarship directly

@remiso:

Ditto! I just received an email from the contact at the DC embassy and she said I might have gotten the scholarship directly from the university instead of via the embassy as I'm not a new student but a continuing student.

Which university said they admitted you? BLCU?

How did you know they admitted you? For me, one of my friends has a contact in the admissions office, and the contact said I was in their system for the next academic year.

I think I'm a "new student" but was accepted directly anyway. I applied to BFSU and the woman at the foreign students office told me I was on their list. My name isn't common at all, and she read me my chinese name as well. I'll have to see where they sent the application materials.

@remiso:

I gave them my English name and my passport number, and they said I was admitted for the year starting in September and ending in July.

When you applied for the government scholarship, were you already a student in China?