Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

I'm late to the party on this but firstly congratulations to all the EU applicants who got accepted. My name was on the list, commiserations to all the people whose names aren't on there. In the tradition of this forum I will do a post containing all my details shortly, so that future applicants have more information and a better chance of success.

What happens now? I only saw my name on the list today (Monday), have people already been contacted by email by institutions? Any advice would be great.

@thrice12

I'm from the UK and I did the same as you. Applied to both universities in Qingdao directly, in case I didn't get the scholarship. Are you still going there? Ocean University sent me all the documents. Hopefully we can swap details and meet there!

REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP IN KNOWING WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!

remiso@ and Helios@ - I also got an email from the US embassy in DC today saying they are sorry I did not get awarded the scholarship. But I just got an email again from my University saying that I got the scholarship and should expect to receive the packet by this week. I am so confused?????

I just forwarded Xiao Liu's email to my contact at my University to see if she can shed some light on what is going on...

Also, if we get the packets directly from the Universities, does this mean that we do not get the stipend and the intercity travel subsidies???

Helios@ - I tried calling Xiao Liu just now, but she did not pick up the phone and her number doesn't seem to give callers the capability of leaving messages. Do you have a good phone number for her?

We sent her an email a couple of weeks ago to check on my status and she said that the University will send me the packet directly...and I remained patient, thinking to myself that maybe there is some sort of glitch that would work itself out. But then as time started to run out, I asked the University (Peking U.) again, and they said that the packet will come soon from CSC! Oh dear...I am so confused. I just got my vaccinations today so I'm feeling nauseous now. Good luck to you Helios and Remiso...I hope things will come to light soon. Please let me know when you hear anything.

remiso@ - I applied directly, was accepted, and then included my acceptance letter in the CSC application packet. I then checked with the University directly and they confirmed that I won the scholarship. But... I received the same rejection email from DC embassy...

@HappyCSCscholar:

I have never called her before, just emailed; she replies to emails quickly. The packets last year came from the DC Embassy. If you receive the scholarship, they send you an email asking what is your mailing address, and then they mail the packets.

Helios@ which University are you supposed to get the CSC Scholarship with? If the three of us are experiencing the same discrepancy and we are going to three different Universities, then what does this mean?

Helios@ and Remiso@ - did the Universities tell you that you are on the "list" or database for the scholarship? Do you think maybe the 3 of us just got accepted, but no full tuition scholarship :( ?

@HappyCSCscholar:

Remiso: BFSU

Helios: BLCU

HappyCSCscholar: PKU

And we all have the same problem. Admitted by university, but received denial emails from DC embassy. My belief is that there are more people who are currently affected by this problem. Some are aware of this problem and some are unaware. I think we three may actually have the scholarship, but have had the misfortune of falling through the bureaucratic cracks.

Right now, I think we should contact our respective universities once more to confirm our admittance and scholarship award, and then we will contact the DC embassy with our discovery. Once they are made of aware of this anomaly, perhaps, we can receive the scholarship. =)

Good idea Helios. And all honesty, I believe it is possible to have these types of discrepancies. They are dealing with a growing number of scholarship applications every year, in addition to their other embassy/consulate responsibilities, so with all due respect to them, this is very possible. Heck, maybe a postal worker misplaced a whole batch of acceptance packages!

Vkim67@ - did you get an email today?

@ fuzzypin

Congrats! You have to wait till you get your admission package by ordinary mail. I think that will contain all the important info, you will know then in which university will you study. After, you have to ask for a student visa, buy your flight ticket and come;)

@ Helios, HappyCSCscholar,remiso

You situation is very weird, I hope that you can solve everything! Xiao Liu works for the CSC? If yes can you write me how could you get her e-mail? I would like to communicate with them, but I could find only the "main" e-mail address and nobody has answered for mounts....

Hi Helios, HappyCSCscholar, remiso, etc. I seem to have the same problem. I was told back in May by the foreign studies office at the Shanghai University of TCM (where I have already been enrolled for a year) that I would receive the scholarship. This morning I got the email from Xiao Liu telling me I was denied. I called the man in our school's office in charge of scholarships and he replied vaguely that this seems strange, because if Beijing had had any objections to the school's having approved me, then the CSC should have contacted the school directly. He then told me to wait... All the way until school starts haha! I told me that's a liiiiittle bit long since we are talking about thousands of dollars in tuition money, and he said that next week when he's back from vacation he'll look into it. Clearly a man of great gumption. Needless to say, I have also contacted Xiao Liu. Don't know when I'll see her response, though... I'm living deep in the mountains in Hubei at the moment and only happen to be in town today for an afternoon. Welcome to the world of 麻烦, my friends. The amazing thing is that after three years... You kinda get used to this stuff (by which I mean to say, this is just the start of a long and beautiful relationship with 麻烦 for you newcomers... 欢迎,欢迎,热烈欢迎!)!

Now off to take care of some other 麻烦 waiting for me down the street. Like I said, it never stops, but at least you always have an opportunity to practice your 口语...

do you know the office in renmin??cause today i ask my friend to help me to going to renmin university and going to internasional building but they have no idea where i can check the scholarship annoucenment...

do you know where the building is?

when you accepted on renmin,you also need to waiting on the web or you have called by renmin university?

do you know the web that annoucement the scholarship?

The international office is actually named the Korean student building, which is on the same road as the international student dorms. Along the South wall of campus. I don't think they have released the results yet, but they probably just made an exception for my classmate.

Some good news for those who have received the scholarship! My friend who received the scholarship last year (1-year language study) has just returned to Canada from Nankai University in Tianjin. He said that the monthly stipend is now 1700Y, increased from the original 1400Y! =)

Hi people,

I can't get to the internet nearly enough but just about keeping touch. I have still not had anything confirmed other than the fact that I am on the EU list. Tsinghua (my first choice) said they didn't think I was on their list but it is not certain with it being an EU scholarship. I will let you know.

Regarding my application, I don't think it was in any way special. It seems that the EU scholarship is primarily for Eastern European countries (perhaps where the Confucian Institutes are not as well established). Due to my age I just missed out on being able to apply for some of the more conventional scholarships. Perhaps this is partly why I won an award.

Best wishes to those still waiting. I will check back in here when I get chance.

Here's a story I'd like to share:

Each year my university sends the Chinese embassy here a list of 3 recommended candidates to be granted the 1 year language studies scholarship. This year, it was down only to 1 candidate, and I was the honoured one.

So, I sent my package and application form to the embassy, they sent it to the CSC offices and everything seemed fine.

This sunday my uni. gave me a call saying they are sorry to tell me I wasn't accpeted, and another guy, who is also graduated from my uni., got it instead of me. This candidate is NOT my uni. recommended candidate and they really had no idea he applied the scholarship. They are quite furious at the embassy here, as they completely ignored their decision, and wonder how come the embassy also sent the other guy's name to CSC.

They sent an urgent mail to the embassy here, saying they only support me. Of course he could have applied on his own, but how come he takes my uni.'s quota for this year?

In the meanwhile, I got a reply from the uni. I ranked first in my list that I was accepted, and that they sent the visa application back to CSC. Does it mean there's still hope? or can they give me the scholarship without CSC?

I feel like someone stole it from me...hopefully they will change their decision.

• Like 1