Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

Well, aside from him telling me that he had received 1700 Yuan every month during his one year stay, I suppose I don't have any proof. But those who receive the CSC Scholarship will find out when they arrive in China. :P

EDIT: Try Here...

http://en.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/4acd2f2e7d2d454ab1af1233ad4fc7b5.shtml

3) Monthly allowance is granted to the students through the host institution at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):

- Undergraduates & Chinese language students: CNY 1,400 Yuan

- Master’s degree students & general scholars: CNY 1,700 Yuan

- Doctoral degree students & senior scholars: CNY 2,000 Yuan

I think where the 1700 yuan came from was because perhaps he was considered a "General Scholar"?

Now that I am looking at the acceptance letter from BFSU that CSC sent me.. it says that I am a General Scholar as well? I wonder if they are the same thing as "chinese language students"? I am beginning to confuse even myself now...

Hello everyone!

I've been a dormant member of this forum but I just want to ask some things. :) I was accepted at BLCU for 1 yr language program. I'm from the Philippines by the way. I already went to the Chinese cultural embassy to pick up my "acceptance package" which was only composed of 3 sheets (1 student visa application. 1 acceptance letter from BLCU. 1 letter from CSC which was in glossy paper and had a generic header of dear sir/madam.

This is my first time to apply and receive a scholarship. I was asking Ms Zhang of the embassy for details like, how would I enrol in BLCU, would I go straight to BLCU and present my documents, would I have to go to BLCU alone, how/where can I avail for the lodging, whom should I look for once I arrive in China. When/where/how can I avail of the stipend. Things like that. Unfortunately, Ms Zhang does not know the answers.

I completely lost now. Can you please help me. All I know is I need to get my student visa asap. :)

PS.

What should I do if I arrive in China on Sept8 instead of Sept4? I have important matters to attend until Sept7. :)

Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

@ aizjev

HI, I'm in the same situation as you. Have you checked the information here: http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lxsc/en/Registration.asp? There are some answers for your question.

Please, pay attention that on the English-language side of your invitational letter you've got some recommendations. They want us to come not later than the 4th of September (I'm telling about full-year program), but I suppose you can write them. Our contacting e-mail address is: zhaosh1@blcu.edu.cn

Hope this will help, if you get some new information - share :)

@Marietta

Thanks for helping me out with that. I hope the documents get delivered quickly as I am flying to Beijing during the first week of August!

Because I also applied directly to some universities, I already have all documents I need to apply for a student visa. However, now that I have been awarded the scholarship I guess those documents are no longer valid (they also have quite a few spelling errors).

As promised here are my responses to the questions asked by Brian US at the start of this thread:

1) What is your native country? United Kingdom

2) Where did you apply? China Mission to the European Union

3) When did you apply? February 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One-Year Language Programme

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Dalian Uni of Foreign Languages 2. Ocean University of China 3. Yunnan University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? China Mission to the EU

10) Where did you get your physical done? At the surgery of my local physician

11) How did you get your documents notarized? University documents were stamped by the institution (I did not send of copy of my transcript, just a profile of current scores). Copy of passport and medical documents were stamped and signed by a lawyer and doctor respectively. I did not get any of my documents fully notarised (i.e. I did not go to a notary or pay anybody to notarise)

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I wish I knew....

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2011.

14) How were you notified? My name is on the list on the China Mission to the EU website

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid-July 2011

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Not sure yet, I'm waiting for the documents to arrive at my home.

Massive thanks to everybody who posts on this thread. The thread has been a constant source of reassurance and insight for me throughout the infuriating and opaque process that is applying for the CSC Scholarship.

• New Members

Here are my responses to the questions posed at the start of this thread:

1) What is your native country? United Kingdom

2) Where did you apply? Consulate General of the People's Republic of China in Manchester

3) When did you apply? March 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th 2011

6) What program did you apply for? Three-year MA programme in Ancient Chinese History, plus two-year remedial Chinese beforehand.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Zhengzhou University 2. N/A 3. N/A

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? Embassy of P.R. China in United Kingdom - 8261

10) Where did you get your physical done? At the surgery of my local physician.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I did not get any of my documents notarised.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? N/A

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2011.

14) How were you notified? By phone, and I also received documents by post

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid-July 2011

16) What school and program were you accepted to? I was accepted at Zhengzhou University: the course will be one-year of remedial Chinese and a three-year MA.

I think that the key aspect of this application process is finding out information about the University you want to attend and subsequently making contacts with people in important positions. Before I applied formally to the Consulate General of the People's Republic of China in Manchester, I already had a formal acceptance letter from Zhengzhou University. I have another colleague on the same MA as myself at Newcastle University who has also been accepted by Zhengzhou University; unfortunately, he has accepted the one-year Mandarin Enrichment scholarship to study in Taiwan, which we have both been awarded, from the British Association for Chinese Studies.

I believe this process has shown that the application process for the CSC Scholarship is definitely shrouded in mystery; moreover, I would be very interested to see how many other people from the UK have been awarded the scholarship. I also have a dilemma at the moment as regards to the prestige of the CSC Scholarship and how difficult it is obtain: an easily-awarded scholarship does not look very good on future applications. If I am not offered a different scholarship to continue further study in Japan—I have a Japanese language and history background, but also research specific Chinese historical punishment devices—I think that I will accept the CSC Scholarship as it offers terrific long-term opportunities for researchers, especially in the humanities, to develop Chinese language skills while simultaneously gathering essential primary source material.

As the above post stated, a massive thanks to everybody who posts on this thread. The thread, along with those of previous years, has been a constant source of insight throughout the application process for the CSC Scholarship.

1) What is your native country? Philippines

2) Where did you apply? Commission on Higher Education

3) When did you apply? April 15 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 15 2011

6) What program did you apply for? One-Year Language Programme

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. BLCU 2. BNU 3. Tsing Hua

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? CHED's number

10) Where did you get your physical done? At a local clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? University documents were stamped by the institution

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I have no idea. :)

14) How were you notified? Chinese Cultural Office called me at home

15) When were you accepted/rejected? 7/18/11

16) What school and program were you accepted to? BLCU, 1 year language program

:)

@Marietta:

Xiao Liu does not work at the CSC. Anyways, the CSC will not answer inquires. You have to contact whoever is handling your scholarship application (embassy, Confucius Institute, etc.)

@Lost Ones (Helios; Remiso; HappyCSCscholar; Bigtops)

Can you provide me with a status update for your current situation?

I'll go first: I contacted BLCU again, and they have confirmed (2nd confirmation) that I was admitted to BLCU and do indeed have the scholarship, but they are uncertain why the embassy is telling my I don't have it. They said to contact them again tomorrow.

If we work together, I believe we will be able to better understand and correct this mistake. I hope you're with me!

Thank you for your cooperation!

Helios@ I received an email again from the embassy saying that if CSC denied our scholarship, and the University said we got a full scholarship, then the University will grant us a scholarship directly from the University and we should contact our Universities to find out what's going on. I already reached out to my contact at PKU and she told me to give it another week to receive my packet. If by then I don't see anything in the mail, she will call CSC for me. However, she has confirmed again that I in fact did get awarded the Scholarship. This leads me to believe that there is a lost mail batch. Otherwise, how can we explain this phenomenon?

Yesterday I called BFSU and they were able to confirm that I had indeed received the full scholarship. I called the CSC and an individual there told me it was entirely possible that I had won the scholarship but the US embassy had run out of spaces with which to honor them. At this point, the situation is no clearer to me than it was before.

Remiso@ - this makes me even more confused... What does this mean? Does this mean you will get the scholarship but not the Honor or does this mean you will NOT get the scholarship at all? If this means no scholarship, then I never knew that the Embassy had any input into the scholarship??? I thought that the selection committee consisted of CSC, MOE, and the Universities????

@Agrarian Today i called csc china they said they have sent results to embassy in pakistan.when i called the culture center in Islamabad they said they have results but they will announced in August.

Split some posts off to another topic - visa applications, accommodation and university info is NOT directly relevant to the CSC, and should not be posted here. There's a lot more to this website than the CSC Scholarship, please make full use of it.

@Lost Ones (Remiso; HappyCSCscholar; Bigtops)

I'm truly lost. I contacted BLCU again (3rd time), but this time they confirmed that I indeed did not receive the scholarship. Apparently, After BLCU approved me, some other group countermanded the university's admission. Who or why, I don't know.