Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

My understanding from speaking to Ms. Liu and from a long conversation with the contact for the DC embassy at the CSC's main office in Beijing yestery is thus: our schools may well have accepted us, but the CSC nevertheless later rejected some people who had already been accepted by schools. If our names were not given to the DC embassy, then we were rejected very late in the game because of a high volume of applicants. Ms. Liu seems to believe schools have their own scholarships they might be willing to give us... or something. Sounds nice, of course, but this I am reluctant to believe is a common phenomenon; I think it's her way of trying to get us to stop emailing her by sending us off with a little bit of ungrounded hope in our hearts.

Of course, there's no final answer till you've gotten a final answer. I'm in contact with my school with all my cards on the table; I suggest those of you already enrolled make good use of time and try to get whatever help you can from whatever people in your university like you/have a strong sense of responsibility. New applicants in this situation, I would suspect, are probably S.O.L. at this point, but if you're inspired to try chasing things down, don't let me stop you.

... sigh, and of course, I guess lost mail batch could be a possibility, too...

With the monthly stipend, as far as I know everyone gets at least 1700 RMB a month. Maybe some schools for language students still have 1400, but I don't know. I received 1700 while doing my language training for the last two semesters. My friends doing their undergraduate are also getting 1700 a month.

edit: Apparently my friend doing her undergraduate studies is in fact only getting 1400 RMB per month.

Helios@ and Bigtops@ and Remiso@- how sad :( I had just quit my job two weeks ago and literally bet the house on this opportunity. So sad!

So we were later rejected because there were too many applicants? Under what basis were we rejected? Was it something in our applications or was it the order they processed the applications? Also, an outright subsequent rejection? Not even a partial scholarship? The tuition and dorm fees are the big ticket items...Helios and Bigtops, what are you going to do now?

As far as Ms. Liu's rejection list... I'm wondering if it's a list sent to her and created by CSC, or is the list merely the result of a process of elimination: those on her rejection list are those whom she did not receive packets/notifications for from CSC? Hence, still the possibility of a lost mail batch.

our schools may well have accepted us, but the CSC nevertheless later rejected some people who had already been accepted by schools.

So now the understanding is, at least for the US, the DC office has the final say or possibly the CSC office in Beijing? This probably depends on the school, but this just keeps getting more and more confusing.

Do you know how renmin select the student for scholarship?

Is renmin very selective in giving scholarship

To be honest, I have no idea. Probably less selective than Beijing University and Tsinghua.

@ HappyCSCsholar

My name was posted to the university's homepage, and to the homepage of China Mission to the EU (which is our "DC Embassy"). The last thing I know that my university sent my application package in early June. So its on the way:)

@ Those who have DC Embassy problem

I was first informed my results when I wrote an e-mail for the universities where I applied in late May asking if I am on their list, one answered that yes they got my application package, and they responded to CSC that they (University) accept my application, and now (in May) they are waiting for a final verification from CSC. This verification happened, and the university posted his homepage the very final results at the end of June.

How were you informed that you were selected? You wrote an e-mail to the University, or they wrote you? OR the results were posted to their homepage?

Are you sure that you were informed about the very final results?

The other thing that is very weird for me, that now the final verification happened, so I don't understand how can you be on the university's final list if you didn't get the scholarship. Am I right that you are on the final list, aren't I? In my opinion it cannot happen, especially with 3-4 of you (and who knows maybe others?). I assume that maybe there is a problem with the embassy's administration.

@ Helios

That is exactly what happened to me...so frustrating :angry:

When I contacted the university in China, they said they have enrolled me and have sent the visa appication form and admission notice to the CSC.

The embassy here did not include me in the winners' list.

I have no idea what went wrong there...

CSC announced 500 scholarship for pakistani students,but today when i called to culture center in pakistan the person said csc only give 130 scholarships...

What is this??How they can change their policy..very disappointed :o :o

@Marietta

The embassy here claims they recommended my name to the CSC, but the CSC said I wasn't enrolled.

@HappyCSCscholar

I sent the confirmation email I got from the uni. in China to the embassy. The embassy said they applied again to the CSC and recommended me again, now waiting for their reply.

CSC announced 500 scholarship for pakistani students,but today when i called to culture center in pakistan the person said csc only give 130 scholarships...

It's one thing to make promises, but it's another thing to actually follow through with those promises. Obama says he wants to send 100,000 American students to China over the next four years. However, I have yet to hear about any programs being organized by the US or China to actually support this.

500 scholarships is a huge increase, considering Japan gets 75 and the EU gets 100.

@ Brain Us

I agree with you..Here is the News.

China has announced 500 scholarships for Pakistani students for the next three years, whereas the number of scholarships will be increased each year. China Announced 500 Scholarships For Pakistani Students this was announced by Chinese Embassy Cultural Counsellor Yang Linhai.

Latest China Scholarships Programs news that China give 3 year scholarships for 500 Pakistani Students he made the announcement while addressing a conference on ‘Pak-China Friendship Year 2011’ cultural activities reception and opening ceremony of Chinese experience centre. The event was organised by the Confucius Institute, National University of Modern Languages (NUML), here on Tuesday.