Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

I asked a university admissions officer about whether I needed to translate my English language degree certificate etc. into Chinese and I got this response:

"毕业证和成绩单需要中文或英文版,翻译后要公证"

Every time I read it, the ambiguity kills me.  I feel the only thing that I can do is have all documents translated into Chinese, then have those AND copies of the original English language ones notarized and send the whole lot!

"学生你好

很高兴收到你的邮件。我们北京外国语大学不直接接受中国政府奖学金的申请。请你登陆CSC网站进行申请。申请成功后,CSC会根据你的申请把你分到北外。我们不提供pre-admission letter. 请你联系中国驻你国家大使馆,索取资助函,之后再联系CSC.谢谢。

如有疑问,请随时联系

祝好"

I get this message from Beijing Foreign Studies Uni. I only understand a bit of it

They are not too helpful, so to say... They basically wrote they were very happy to receive your mail, however BFSU does not accept direct Chinese Government Scholarship applications, you should apply through CSC's website, and if you are successful, CSC will forward your stuffs to BFSU. They also can't provide you a pre-admission notice, on this matter you should contact your local Chinese embassy, then contact CSC. And if you have any questions, you can contact them anytime.

Troll last sentence, haha. I don't really get it why they mentioned you should contact your embassy on the pre-admission letter...

Please NOTE CSC does not accept any individual application other than the recommended applications from Changchun University of Science and Technology. Please pay attention to the Agency Number of Changchun University of Science and Technology and it is ‘10186’.

This is part of the application instruction, do I still need to send my application to the chnia Embassy ??

May I ask, can we send the application documents to he universities by email...? I'm afraid i I send by post, it may get lost and will definitely take ages to reach the university, as well as, the deadline for scholarship is approaching quickly...

Does everyone actually apply to the actual universities before applying for the scholarship...? Really, if that preadmission notice is going to arrive by post, there is no way I'm going to make it before the deadline. And after emailing the admissions office about details, I'm assuming you have to wait for quite some time until they kindly reply, if they reply at all, as is usually my experience with emailing any institution in China. And the university websites full of broken links. It's a bit overwhelming honestly :/

@Kambili I completely understand you, I want to apply to the universities but I still don't know how to apply to my first choice so I'm waiting for an answer and probably I won't be able to get any pre admission letter before sending my documents to the embassy, I guess we have to be patient and hope for the best. 

@ Andreea First of all, I am sorry for being late to reply. You can`t apply directly to uni because you are applying for one year of language studies. The question may be whether or not to apply through both EU Window and the embassy. If you are not allowed to apply for any other type, then apply just for EU Window. 

I think you are not applying for a masters program because CSC websites clearly encourages applicant apply directly to the universities they want to enroll in when applying graduate schools. That being said, here what happens when applying through embassy:

When applying through embassy, pre-admissions letter is not something must have but CSC puts in this way and explains what happens between Embassy, CSC, and Universities  you choose

"After verifying the application materials, the China Scholarship Council will arrange admissions of universities as soon as possible and inform the esteemed Embassy of the result admission no later than the end of July 2015. Before submitting their application materials, applicants are requested to contact by themselves the universities of offering the Chinese Government Scholarship, and enclose the pre-admission notice (not a letter) issued by the admission departments of universities in the application materials in it. The application materials are enclosed with a pre-admission notice, CSC will directly send these application materials to the university of admission to confirm their admission. if the application materials are not enclosed with a pre-admission notice, CSC will be unable to ensure that applicants can be admitted by the universities they have applied"

It is not that you don't get the scholarship, they just cannot guarantee you enroll in the university you would like to.

I have been contacting universities for masters degree for myself. They all said I don't need a pre-admission notice when applying directly to the universities. Because in this case, universities are the dispatching authorities, so why would they want to evaluate application twice?

I hope it helps! I have another question to ask but lets solve this first. 

Actually, let me ask. 

My U want to requires HSK 5 level for my degree. I have been studying Chinese for long time, I have been taking HSK 5 mock test, I have good scores on them. But the think is I haven't taken real HSK 5 so I don't have any certificates to back it up. (I only have HSK 3 certificates on hand)

I will apply tomorrow eventually. They ask if I want to study Chinese language for a year prior to the actual degree classes. Should I say "yes" to it? I don't want to spend more on language anymore, though. 

I will take the HSK 5 at the end of this month. I believe i will pass it with good scores. 

so when applying I want to say "yes" to one year language study prior to taking degree classes, and when I get to China I show them I passed the HSK 5 and start taking degree classes straight up. 

Do you think they would accept it? My Chinese is HSK 5 level but I just could not prove it to them. I don't want to jeperdize my application  by saying "no" to a year language study.

what do you think guys!?

Angelina - I don't understand why you are turning everything into some kind of debate. Please do not quote only pieces of my posts, and the choose to ignore the rest of it. Obviously, if you fail any semester or year of your scholarship, the school has the authority to kick you out of the scholarship. This is not only for the language year.

If anyone applies for Masters + language year, they will not have to apply for the CSC scholarship the following year. I don't know where moon24 is from, and in some countries, obtaining the scholarship is a feat. To have to apply again may decrease their chances. So yes, I meant to use the word 'automatically' because it is a fact. Assuming you pass your exams - this part is obvious for any scholarship in the world, scholarship students are required to maintain a certain grade criteria. Whether you pass your HSK or not and lose the scholarship is a whole different topic. It is ridiculous for anyone to apply for a language year if they have the intention to apply for masters in China after that.

No, it is not "slightly cheaper" to apply for masters + language over just applying for a language year. Forget application costs, the student will have to return home (airfare costs) with all their things while they wait for the results, and then they will have to return to China (more airfare costs) and then go through the whole residents permit application all over again with the physical examinations. The hassle alone is not worth all of the above.

As for the bilateral scholarship, I know a lot of people from different continents who have signed an agreement (some countries there is no such agreement, some countries it is optional, and other countries it is mandatory).

At the bottom of my post, I have told moon24 to 'understand the differences between direct uni application vs. embassy application for his/her country - so I have clearly stated (at least to some people) that the situation is different depending on the country.

I honestly and sincerely believe that if you are here trying to dissuade someone from applying for the scholarship or being negative, you are in the wrong place. That kind of attitude is not fair to hopefuls.Those of us who were privileged to be awarded the scholarship should be here to guide and encourage those who would like the same opportunity. Not here to crush anyone's dreams.

In my opinion, this is a very simple process. There is nothing complicated about it, and many exceptions are made to accommodate deserving candidates. It only requires candidates to talk to the schools, explain their situation, submit application materials, and then the months of waiting begins.

• Like 2

Voyager2014 - no, do not apply for the extra year. You will probably not be able to change your scholarship from language year to masters when you get to your university. CSC also reserves the rights to send you somewhere else (another university in another province or city) to do your language year. So keep that in mind. If you have already registered for the HSK 5 exams, submit a copy of your receipt. My university also required an HSK 5 certificate last year when I was applying but I didn't have one because my school wanted us to sit for the HSK on May (after the deadline of the scholarship). My university didn't even ask questions after that, they just accepted the situation. If you are speaking to your university in Chinese, surely they will easily believe that your Chinese level is acceptable. If you're speaking to them in English, you shouldn't. Haha...

Shuoshuo is right on this one.  The university I'm applying to requires HSK6 but I only have 5 so I just asked them and they said something along the lines of "对你这个中文水平来说,HSK5应该没有问题".  This was after the exchange of a fair number of emails.

That said, I'm still applying for a language year.

I'm not trying to crush anyone's dream. If someone has two options to choose from, one of them is realistic, the other one is not realistic, and if they decide to go with the unrealistic option, their dreams might be crushed. If you can't write a decent statement of purpose now, it's better to wait than get a letter of rejection. This is reality, nothing negative here.

Anyway, this is not a debate. There are people who just want to spend as much time in China as possible (read ZhangKaiRong's post). If you are one of them, I can't give you any advice and you can do whatever you think will secure you more years in China. 

Guys I have another doubt, when I translate my academic transcript, do the marks have to be translated too? (I'm doing my own translation, and then I will take it to the notary) because I know the evaluation system is different in every country, in USA you have A, A-, B, etc. In my country we have from 1.0 to 7.0 so do you know if it necessary to change that? 

PS. by the way I'm a girl, so you don't have to write her/him xd

Hello people,

I am applying for CSC schoarship through Chinese Embassy in Pakistan. After reading from their website, it looks like I will have to secure a pre-admission letter from university before submitting the final documents. Now here is the tricky part, I want to apply for Shanghai jia tong university for their Master's Degree and they require a certain score in IELTS and I will not get my IELTS result back before 27th March whereas the deadline to submit the pre-admission letter is 25th March. I have emailed them about my problem but got no reply. Is there anyway that I can get a conditional offer from them where as the condition would be to get the required Score in IELTS. 

btw I had all my education in English and I scored around 1300 in GRE. Will I get any edge if I submit my GRE score?

• Like 1