Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

First of all guys, I'm a rock climber.

Therefore, due to the fact that my main purpose is to learn Chinese with ''natural interactions'' (aka going out climbing with local climbers) my 3 universities are:

1- China Ocean University in Qingdao
2- Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangzhou

3- Guangxi Normal University in Guilin (with this one, I might come back with a funny Thai accent haha)

I'm wondering what criteria is used by universities to fill their CSC spaces... is it based on the preadmission letters they have provided? First in first served ? any thoughts

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

@金妙漪

Well that seems impossible, I agree with Sula that perhaps they thought you were inquiring about their CSC quota. By the looks of it, I think you should be okay (they should allow you to apply) if you have the award letter already, it shouldn't be any of their concern to give you a scholarship since your embassy will be the one "providing" you the scholarship. 

If they still don't allow you, perhaps it has something to do with their teaching capacity. 

really looking forward to your update on this one, interesting scenario. check this out for their directory http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/is/9281/2014/20141223105135756117756/20141223105135756117756_.html

they are also very accomodating

• Like 1

I.carranza

With this one, I am also very much interested (since it's Tsinghua related)

I was able to get in touch with one of the staff from Tsinghua's ISO, by a twist of fate I was able to make friends with her one afternoon visit to Tsinghua for she was also on her way to the same place I was headed to, I was able to chat with her and "subtly" ask her some stuff about the CSC

For the granting of pre-admission letters: 

What I got from her is that, the departments concerned (i.e. School of Economics, etc) are the ones who is going to have a bigger weight on this one. And the departments concerned are going to check your credentials during this process. So the granting of the PL is merit based basically. 

As for their CSC spot: 

What I got from her is that the ISO office is the one who's going to decide on this one. Although I'm not quite sure, I think this is also merit-based. The reason i say so is that she mentioned to me that in choosing their prospective CSC candidates (from those who got PL or approved by the deparments), they look at a number of qualifications, such as your educational background and country of origin. She told me that they check where you got your BS degree, and consider that a factor as well (i.e. if you got your bachelor's degree from a top uni in your country, etc)-- they even know that I graduated from a top university back in my country, so this was kinda creepy-surprising, if you've written stuff, recommendation letters, etc.  So I have a feeling this is also merit based as well. 

Hey guys, 
I have been closely following the posts on my email, but I haven't published much since I never had the right answers... It seems to me that most of you applied through your country's embassy... I did not choose that option because it seemed so much more complicated and less forward on my country's foreign affairs site than at the uni directly, so I chose to apply directly to the university. I only applied to one Uni: Nankai University. I knew I wanted to be near Beijing, without being IN Beijing directly, so Tianjin was my choice to go (I also got some friends over there).

It seems that the process works a bit different when you apply directly to the Uni. Is anyone else applying this way? How is you application going?

I only heard that an email will be sent to us early this week to notify us if the University has accepted us or not. i am not certain what that would mean, afterwards we have to wait until June to get CSC results, as far as I know?

Best luck to all of you, and greetings from Mexico. 

Regarding applying to the university vs applying to the embassy, it's a bit different in my case as I'm applying to a MA program at Tsinghua. I knew that I had to apply directly to the school first as there are limited places for the program. I guess it showed my eagerness to join the program by sending all application materials to Tsinghua directly and it cost a pretty penny to send via DHS from my country (New Zealand). Plus by the time when I had applied, there wasn't much time left until the MA program application deadline and I didn't understand how the process of applying through your country's embassy worked well enough to trust that my application materials would be forwarded to the university in time.

Then I applied again to my country's embassy with the same application materials. This is because the MA program I applied for said their Tsinghua recommended CSC deadline had passed. So now I'm hoping that I'll get the scholarship through my country's embassy.

The first notice of a conditional offer to the program came via email from the MA program administrator. So I followed up to say that I needed an official pre-admission letter to send back to my country's embassy (first by email then after a few days a phone call), they told me to get in touch with ISO and CC them in. Et voilà, I received the scanned PDF document of the official pre-admission letter the next day! So I agree with @williamcarey that it seems the departments seem to have the final say on who receives the pre-admission letter.

I did the same thing @trocadero. I agree 

I applied first to the program (hence the department). This process for me was the most tedious. Unlike what the CSC website, and other stuff would say, I believe applying to the top universities deserve (Peking, Tsinghua) more effort and careful attention. It is safe to say that applying to the program and applying to the scholarship are two different processes as far as tsinghua is conerned. In my situation, I directly applied first to the department concerned-- I talked to the program assistant, inquired about the competitiveness of the program, etc. I even emailed professors, just to introduce myself and let them know I exist, so come deliberations they will remember this eager beaver!-- I'm not sure how this helped me though. My main objectives was to get a PL from them. Oh so many sleepless nights just thinking about this one! 

As for the scholarship, I already know (have a feeling) that Tsinghua's scholarship application process will be much harder, and more competitive, vs. applying through our embassy. And this was reaffirmed by the Tsinghua ISO staff-- they told me that they give preference to 1) students from top universities in their country, 2) and students from the West. the latter part was too painful for me since I am not western, hehehe. The latter I think is necessary since they have to increase their reputation of attracting excellent students from the more developed western nations (imagine Tsinghua attracting Harvard, MIT, Oxford graduates-- they told me these for them are diamonds!)., So i think applying to our embassy for the scholarship is much easier (in terms of the process, and the probability of getting accepted). 

• Like 1

I HAVE A CONFESSION WHICH IS THAT I COMPLETELY LOST MY VOICE (well it's like hoarse whisper) OVER THE WEEKEND AND FORGOT AND TRIED TO CALL AND JUST KIND OF SOFTLY SCREAMED INTO THE SKYPE CALL AND HAD TO HANG UP HAHAHAHA okay yeah. i am so sorry. i will try to heal soon and call again. in the mean time I am going to email like every email address out there for the university office and see what comes of that.

Also, I just realized something which is that my initial email was to chinese@tsinghua but visiting@tsinghua is who emailed me back saying that there are no positions SO, idk if that means anything.

ALSO also, I found this page (http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/is/9261/2014/20141223103823396570908/20141223103823396570908_.html) which says that after getting the acceptance from your embassy to apply to your tsinghua program via their online portal. So I just did that. I realize that most of the rest of you are not applying for the chinese language program at tsinghua so maybe it is less relevant for your particular journey.

Gosh, they are going to drive me crazy.

I've sent all my documents to Sun Yat-sen University (except the Foreigner physical exam due to the fact that I cannot get an appointment with my physician here and anyway, I will have to do it once more over there) and they seem to completely refuse to look at my documents.

On the other hand, Ocean University of China seems super flexible for the pre-admission letter requirements: all you need is your passport and your award letter. The trick? The guy in charge refuses to give me my letter due to the fact that he has ''no time'' for this procedure.

F***, my deadline is tomorrow and I've sent you all my documents 2 months ago..... and you never replied.  :wall

金妙漪

I guess so, but I think you should still be good with the award letter regardless of the program. Although I might be wrong. 

Also, why not try applying to other universities? Since its Chinese language, I highly suggest BLCU, Peking, BFSU, or BNU. These are good language universities as well. There are also good ones outside of Tianjin. You'll easily get a PL given your AL. Point is, don't stick to one Uni over a PL, especially since you are applying for a language program (I think uni levels don't matter that much) 

Breaknet

That is really unfortunate! But you know last year I applied for a language program without a PL, and I got in. I think it will be the same for you since Unis (with the exception of the in-demand ones) aren't that strict when it comes to language programs, and also since you already have an AL-- for the universities, that's automatic money for them so once they receive your app package, they won't hesitate to accept you. 别担心!

@Torreno

What about you?what university are you applying to?

Удачи с поступлением. Ты ж на бакалавр идешь? 

Fujian University of Technology. Good place, less laowais, hong kong / taibei nearby

Very stupid question for everyone. In my country, it takes weeks (if not months) to get an appointment with a physician. Furthermore, my government wrote on its website that the physical exam should NOT be taken before the Award Letter and was recommended to be done in May. It makes no sense to me now.

Consequently, I am a perfectly healthy citizen of the World who is about to make its demand without its physical exam form. During my exchange year, I was accepted for a whole year without any medical exams prior getting there (we have done these tests right there). Now, I'm really scared that I'm going to be screwed by a whole sum of bureaucratic nonsense and meaningless formalities.

Please cheer me up people,

Vincent

@Vincent

Cheer up =)

I read some stories thag people got the scholarships without medical tests. They had to do them later either to get visa or residence permit in China.

Good luck with getting PL

@金妙漪

Please let us know the outcome

I agree with william that you should try to apply to other universities, and try to get the letter ftom them.

I have applied to tsinghua uni way back in November 2015. As soon as the admissions started. Was corresponding by emails with the person in charge from my department about sending, receiving hard dicuments from dhl and etc.. and then ISO contacted me saying that theg decided to nominate me for CSC scholarship. And that i should fill in the form in laihua and email it to them with my signature and photo. I am nervous about it as i didnt have medical tests, and i think i forgot to "x" cross one of the boxes in the end. Hopefully the csc scholarship will be still awarded to me.

I have emailed ISO about the CSC quota, but they didnt reply. Guess they are super busy. =)