Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

@trocadero

Good news. Hope we ll both be lucky to start semester in Tsinghua this autumn.

This waiting is killing me.=)

@Cantabile

I heard that you can start university about the scholarship results in May. They will give yes/no answer before official letter comes in June.

I just received an email from my chinese embassy, saying that they recommended my application to the CSC. I'm quite relieved and happy. I still wonder how likely it is to get rejected by the CSC. If the embassy recommended my application, it should mean that the application fulfills the CSC's requirements, right ?

is it likely to get rejected by the CSC, if we take into account that the application passed the embassy's selection process?

• Like 1

Update on pre-admission letters:

I sent emails to Sichuan Uni, Beijing Normal, and Beijing Language and Culture  (I did not put BLCU in my top three on the application).

Sichuan Uni replied to me right away with a pre-admission letter. BLCU asked me to fill out their own application and send copy of degree etc. And haven't heard back from BNU.

It's fun to wonder whether this means the embassy DID actually forward my info to the schools on my top 3, or if no one has any information and Sichuan Uni is just putting their trust in the award letter.

Getting involved with bureaucratic nonsense again feels almost comforting!

• Like 1

金妙漪,

Good on you for getting the pre-admissions letter from ChuanDa (a university I know pretty well and I think it'd be an all right place at which to study). At least, at least! You got something in hand. Nice one.

It sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. I hope that boat soon pulls into the port that we all want to dock at. Good luck everybody! Fingers crossed!

I am now targeting universities that are not in my top three, because I am not sure I can get a pre-admissions letter from my top three. No matter. Am I mistaken in assuming that a pre-admission letter from none of my top three beats nothing from my top three? I believe so--williamcarey, many thanks for your wise words about this.

My mistake is that I don't want to be "Chinese" in my approach to this, but I am realizing that I have to be.

What I mean is:

I just want to zip off a few emails; get some nice, tidy responses and a few pre-admissions letters; and be good to go. Unh-uh. Who am I kidding?

That's a start but a lot more is now needed. I am now realizing this is when and where the effort and exertion begins.

Time to pound the pavement and go knocking on some doors and insisting on meeting some higher-ups face-to-face.

I visited one International Office of a Beijing university today, passed off my name card and award letter and it seemed promising. I left with a good feeling. Hopefully, maybe, possibly, perhaps, we shall see.

On Monday, I will go to more international offices of two universities with girlfriend in tow to help me out. That'll be my whole Monday afternoon. Should I name drop that I know the wife of one of the vice presidents of Tsinghua? [you! stop snickering, I don't know her in that way!].

I may even head over to BLCU for good measure (also not one of my top three, but I'd most definitely be all right with getting a pre-admissions letter from them, definitely).

My problem is that I am too "German" (family ancestry): playing by the rules and doing things "by the guidelines". Naw, naw, this is China! Time to visit people face-to-face and when people say no, that just means ask them more and more!

Geez, sending my application off to the Chinese Embassy and getting the award letter was the easy part. After that, I was like, hey, what IS all the fuss about with this whole CSC rigmarole? Easy-peasy! Piece o' cake! No problem!

Haha, I spoke too soon and got cocky. NOW the fun begins and I see what it's all about now. Geez Louise.

I'm hellbent on getting a pre-admissions letter in hand and off to the Chinese Embassy in D.C. by their April 30th deadline. Excelsior.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Torreno,

I'm doing that now, doing lots of online applications and sending pdfs of documents and will even hand deliver some hard copies. I am approaching this from all angles.

I should have taken your previous advice, this is China, so gotta be Chinese about it! Leave no stone unturned and no sleep til Brooklyn!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

I think you're maybe putting too much effort into this. Pre-admission letters shouldn't be hard to get, i could get mine by sending a few emails and filling a form. Some unis will ask for the award letter, mine didn't. If you have an award letter getting the pre admission letter should be no problem i think.

Good luck !

Lolo,

I wish I could agree with you, but I guess some of my targeted universities didn't get the memo on that one; they are being a little difficult about that as evidenced by some of the emails I have received from them, hence, my pounding the pavement. I have already had better luck with my face-to-face, hands-on approach.

To my targeted universities I forwarded the award letter email from the Embassy as well as the award letter itself. No takers. They didn't budge.

Visiting the International Office of one Beijing university today and actually waving the hard copy of the award letter under their noses worked a bit better for me than just a mere email--funny, in that International Office I met an office representative today (and here comes the kicker! the exact same office representative who told me in an email back in January that no, this university doesn't honor CSC scholarships for language study) who told me that yes, they could perhaps get me a pre-admissions letter for this.

:shock:  :-?  :x  :P  :lol:  8)  TIC!

As long as I remain empty-handed sans pre-admissions letter (oh! redundancy!), effort shall I exert until I get one in my hot, little hand. No sleep til Brooklyn!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

@chris

Ya, genau.

I agree with you that face-to-face interaction is better in China, and if you are already there than why not use this chance to get the preadmission letters. =)

You can download and fill up the forms for the universities you plan to visit and give it to them with showing your award svholarship letter. Anyway, good luck to you.

• Like 1