Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Hello everybody!

I find it really interesting reading all these theories about the actual chances of getting the scholarship so I thought it's worth sharing my story so far.

I didn't know about the recommendation/award letter that you can get from the embassy so I've first applied for an acceptance letter from a university.

Having received one I've contacted the local embassy and sent them all my application materials. It's a long wait until July so I've asked them about my chances of actually getting the scholarship and whether I should apply for the MOFCOM too. I was told that I was recommended online for the scholarship and it is needless for me to apply for any other scholarship.

I still don't think it's a 100% but I will be extremely disappointed if I won't get it, especially because I was told not to apply for any other scholarship.

Details: applying through the embassy in Hungary for an English taught master, I've previously studied in China for 1 year (got a confirmation that I can apply again)

@LaszloBalogh and others 

The same thing happened to me last year. I wasn't given any award letter nor any pre-admission letter yet I won the scholarship. But like you, my documents were also forwarded and was recommended by my embassy. (For this year, our embassy started providing award letters. weird.) More than anything else, I would like to stress out that the latter one is the most important-- your documents being sent by the embassy to the CSC office, with or without the AL and the PL-- which I think is LaszloBalogh's case as of the moment. That is why it is important to keep in touch with your embassy reps throughout this process. And they just informed me days ago that my documents were mailed to the CSC office in Beijing. This is definitely a relief. 

And like you, I was also planning to make 2 CSC accounts since I wanted to apply for another scholarship program dedicated to our region (to increase my chances), to which the CSC and embassy personnels also told me that there is no need, since looking at my application package they all think that there is a high chance of obtaining the scholarship (with the CSC staff even citing the fact that the embassy already provided me with an award letter). But I also believe that they told me this since it would create confusion in their system with one Passport number having two accounts, lol-- but this is a different issue altogether. Anyway, I ended up not applying for the other CSC program. 

My takeaway in all of this is that, an application package with a PL is a strong one. One with an AL is an even stronger one (and this came from CSC and embassy people I've been in touch with). But based on experience, the most important indicator is your embassy sending your documents to the CSC office in Beijing. 

The reason why I am pretty confident with my application, in terms of where it is going and it's current status, is because I keep in touch with the embassy and with the CSC office on a regular basis, and I actually know what is going on with my application. Getting in touch with them was more helpful than hearing country-specific stories from this forum when I was applying last year-- it clears out the noise. Also, other countries may have different processes so it's best to keep in touch with those really handling your papers.  I have also convinced myself that the only way to calm my nerves down is when I really get an actual answer from the right people, that is why I've been in touch with them since the day I've decided I wanted to apply again. And make sure they really answer your questions clearly.  I suggest you guys do the same, it will really help a lot in managing your expectations especially since the waiting period is REALLY LONG (perhaps the longest, compared to other international scholarship programs). 

• Like 1

@william: Thanks for the info! I think your post actually illuminated something else that was unclear to some of us as well: you can apply twice (once for language and once for an MA - this should reassure Chris!).

williamcarey,

Many thanks for chiming in with the informative posts. I will take your advice and contact the Embassy soon to see how/if things are proceeding with my application.

I have sent in my application for a year of language study in a non-degree program for 2016-2017. I am considering applying for another scholarship for 2017-2019 but I am considering the MOFCOM scholarship.

No problem. But I think Chris did not accept the scholarship grant for 2015-2016 right? Hence he's not studying in China right now under a CSC grant? 

And I think this depends per country/area as well.

I did not apply for 2015-2016. I am currently in Beijing for other reasons. I would like to remain in Beijing next year as a student, hopefully under a CSC grant.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Do you know guys if we can study one year prior our degree (i.e. 2016-2017) in Chinese somewhere and then, later, choose another university for our degree?

If yes, how can we make that?

Breaknet, actually that's what many people do, if you read the CSC instructions, there is as section that specifies that preparatory courses will be given only by 10 designated universities (you cannot choose which one tho), it depends on where the university is, for example students planning to major in a Shanghai university are most likely sent to Nanjing university to take their preparatory courses, then after reaching HSK 5 or 6 (depending your university requirement) you will start your degree in the university of your choice (if you were previously accepted) what you can do is when filling out the CSC online form they will ask you if you require preparatory courses and the period of time that you will take this preparatory courses (1 year) after that you need to also indicate the duration of your major (your preadmission and admission letter should indicate the dates you will be studying for your actual degree and the HSK level you need ) when requesting your preadmission letter make sure to indicate that you at least need one year of preparatory courses so you will be starting your major until Sept 2017.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Breaknet, on 16 Apr 2016 - 3:52 PM, said:

snapback.png

Do you know guys if we can study one year prior our degree (i.e. 2016-2017) in Chinese somewhere and then, later, choose another university for our degree?

If yes, how can we make that?

Breaknet, actually that's what many people do, if you read the CSC instructions, there is as section that specifies that preparatory courses will be given only by 10 designated universities (you cannot choose which one tho), it depends on where the university is, for example students planning to major in a Shanghai university are most likely sent to Nanjing university to take their preparatory courses, then after reaching HSK 5 or 6 (depending your university requirement) you will start your degree in the university of your choice (if you were previously accepted) what you can do is when filling out the CSC online form they will ask you if you require preparatory courses and the period of time that you will take this preparatory courses (1 year) after that you need to also indicate the duration of your major (your preadmission and admission letter should indicate the dates you will be studying for your actual degree and the HSK level you need ) when requesting your preadmission letter make sure to indicate that you at least need one year of preparatory courses so you will be starting your major until Sept 2017.

Can you send me your source, please?

Can you send me your source, please?

http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070

Section II SUPPORTING CATEGORIES, DURATION, INSTRUCTION LANGUAGE, INSTITUTIONS AND MAJORS

Instruction Language

1. Undergraduate scholarship recipients must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. They are required to take one-year preparatory courses in one of the 10 universities listed below and to pass the required test before moving on to their major studies.

Undergraduate scholarship recipients can apply for preparatory course exemption if they completed their secondary education in Chinese or have a valid HSK certificate that meets the requirements of the host university. Official documents from secondary schools or a photocopy of a valid HSK certificate must be submitted for a preparatory course exemption application. Please NOTE that HSK results are valid for only 2 years.

Entrusted by MOE, the following 10 universities offer preparatory courses to undergraduate scholarship recipients. They are Tianjin University, Nanjing Normal University, Shandong University, Central China Normal University, Tongji University, Beijing Language and Culture University, Northeast Normal University, Beijing International Studies University, Capital Normal University, and the University of International Business and Economics.

• New Members

Hello everyone!

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I am finding it very helpful!

I was accepted by my consulate for the scholarship (just received my award letter), and I am in the process of contacting my top three universities to get a pre-admission letter ( although I have not sent them anything, just my award letter by email). I was wondering if you've heard of anyone being refused for studies in China after receiving their award letter from their embassy/consulate? I am applying for a MBA with two years preparatory chinese lessons.

Thanks!

How do you guys interpret the following statement from CSC form: "Note: each set of complete materials should not exceed more than 20 pages" How would you define "complete materials" ? All the documents together should not exceed more than 20 pages or each document (e.g. High school grades + transcripts, study plan etc.) should not exceed more than 20 pages? any thoughts ?

They just don't want you to send unrelated material. Otherwise, it could really difficult for them to handle 50-60 pages-long applications.

Yes, I understand, but I think I have more than 20 pages...and they are all necessary, my high school diploma plus school grades = 6 pages + notarized translations = 12 pages, 2x3 pages of the CSC form=6 + 1 page study plan + medical examination almost 26 pages

If you read carefully, the medical examination isn't required prior to the admission.

Are you talking about the bilateral program ? I'm not sure we are on the same page.

Posted Image

Guys, when you sent your application with the recomendation letters, how did you enclose them? My tutors gave me sealed envelopes with the recommendation letters in them and I just put them in the envelope that I sent to CSC. Is that alright or did it have to be bound to the application itself in duplicate?