Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

I'm applying for scholarship co-sponsored by the UNESCO. Could you please help me, if I'll get my B.A diploma this June, and I can provide certificate from my university, will they accept my application?

aidai,

You need to contact someone directly connected with this scholarship to get a definite answer. No one on these forums will have the best answer to your question, but a representative directly connected to this scholarship will.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Agreed, Chris! It seems like this is really a multiplicity of processes that get lumped under the umbrella of Chinese Government Scholarship. Every school I've contacted has done things a little differently, and I'm sure it's the same for the broader network of dispatching authorities. Best to contact whichever authority you are applying to for the scholarship.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I understand this is a thread for the new applicants, but I do hope this will be for the benefit of others as well. (If my post is too off-topic, please kindly re-direct me)

I have three questions. I am on full CSC scholarship, applied directly to my school. I am graduating this year and have been having problems with my office ever since the government doubled the monthly allowance. 

1.     I did my internship outside of China and the school kept my 2-month money. They told me, it was my personal choice to do that. The CSC office in Beijing wasn't helpful at all.

2.     The school refuses to pay money to live off campus. I am with family here and physically can't live in the dorm. Again, “my choice”. Again, CSC Beijing office didn't help.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this from happening to our new fellow applicants and any suggestions on how to solve these issues?

3. In order to graduate I am required to publish a paper. Will the scholarship cover the publishing cost or it is going to be my “personal choice” again and I have to pay it myself?

Woah, I must be the luckiest human-being on this forum.

Today, the Chinese Consulate awarded me not 1, but 2 admission letters! (The second one was addressed to another guy: these Chinese admins are always making me crack a smile).

Best luck for everybody, the wait game is real

• Like 1

The Canucks are in luck! I am envious of you, Breaknet and Prile. It's good to hear that you have jumped that hurdle, admission notices in hand.

(The second one was addressed to another guy: these Chinese admins are always making me crack a smile).

Haha! Agreed! Always lots of amusement to be had.

Continued good luck to all!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

Hi! Just wanna ask if I have the award letter and pre-admission letter, what is the chance of getting the scholarship? Can't wait for the result XD

This is a really good question that I also have but not even the embassy has been able to explain it to me in a clear way. Based on what some friends (that have been awarded before and some others that have not)I have come up with the theory that the award letter and preadmission letter give you a huge chance of been selected, however, it all depends on the amount of scholarships assigned to your country...For example, in my country (Costa Rica) the guy in charge of the scholarships in the Chinese consulate said that there were 41 scholarships available for 60 applicants, last year were 81 scholarships but this year the amount was reduced because many applicants from my country who were rewarded before have applied for another language year or for a master degree (and for some reason they have more priority than anyone else)...He said that he will try to get the approval to make more scholarships available but definitely not all the 60 applicants who were given the award letter will be awarded with the actual scholarship (the irony) even if they have a preadmission letter. I really want to know the answer ...If anyone else have a better source of information please let me know.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

I don't think it's actually possible to estimate the chances, hihi. I heard similar to carranza that it's largely based on the application pool. The school told me they'll take 200 students, ish. The school did note that the qualifications they're expecting have increased due to more competition in previous years to my friend (also applying) who had a lower GPA.

I don't think it's actually possible to estimate the chances, hihi. I heard similar to carranza that it's largely based on the application pool. The school told me they'll take 200 students, ish. The school did note that the qualifications they're expecting have increased due to more competition in previous years to my friend (also applying) who had a lower GPA.

Hi Alex, may I ask what university you talked to? I'm just curious

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

On the award letter and preadmission letter (for those who applied through their embassies, hence the bilateral program)

Basically what I got from asking questions from relevant authorities is, obtaining both documents does increase your chance of obtaining the scholarship. It is nearly impossible that you will not be awarded the scholarship. 

First I have called the CSC office and talked to the representatives there (yes, that's how curious I am-- you guys better do the same thing) and they told me that the award letter does more or less indicate that you are recommended by the embassy. The CSC office in Beijing did in fact confirm this. The pre-admission letter on the other hand makes the process for them easier since they will automatically forward your package to the university that granted you the letter. Basically what I got from them is that as long as you've obtained the award letter from the embassy, you're good to go-- they were even pretty excited for me that I got the AL. I suggest you guys try calling your CSC reps as well, check them out in the CSC website. Do your homework. 

The Chinese reps from my embassy confirms this too. They told me that those who were given an award letter will automatically be recommended by the embassy to the CSC office. That was the ultimate purpose of the letter. I have a rule in mind that I need to call them every week about this and other questions I have, and they seem to answer and reassure me consistently about this. hahahaha. But again, the situation may be different for other countries, as many of you have already stressed previously in this forum. 

And lastly, I called the university which granted me a pre-admission letter (tsinghua). They also told me that given my application package (pertaining to PL and AL), I do have a high chance of obtaining the scholarship. 

A user named Shuoshuo from 2015 or 2014 applications (I think, post #238) also said previously that: "(Award Letter, according to his/her embassy) takes a spot from the country's CSC Scholarship quota, [but] it's not the same as a recommendation letter from the embassy. The award letter will state that the student has been awarded scholarship from the country"

P.S. I'm a second-time applicant, now for an MA program. I am currently a CSC Bilateral Scholarship recipient for a one year language program here in China. But again, I was awarded the award letter by my embassy since there are only few of us interested to study in China from my country. Again, it may be on a case by case basis. 

• Like 2

@william: Thanks for the info! I think your post actually illuminated something else that was unclear to some of us as well: you can apply twice (once for language and once for an MA - this should reassure Chris!).

• Like 1

No problem. But I think Chris did not accept the scholarship grant for 2015-2016 right? Hence he's not studying in China right now under a CSC grant? 

And I think this depends per country/area as well.

efore I apply again for this year, I consistently asked the CSC, our embassy, and the third party institution in our country (Ministry of Ed) if I can apply again. And they told me that yes, it does not state in the guidelines that I am ineligible to apply. But what I heard in other countries, say from Thailand, they do not allow second time applicants. I AM GUESSING with regards to applying twice consecutively, that the rules on this come not from the CSC, but from  the embassy and the third party institution (the third party institution, well at least in our case, is the one who releases the call for applications, and then chooses those who will be selected and forwarded to the embassy). Logically, the CSC does not care who the embassy forwards because I do think they assume already that /whoever the embassy forwards has been already screened based on credentials. So with regards to these rules, it depends on your country's embassy and third party institution, hence some countries may actually not allow second time applicants. Probably the reason why they allowed it in my country is that there aren't a lot of us interested in studying in China anyway, so there's no reason to restrict the demand.

Hmm, if that is the case, then I wonder about students who apply once directly to the school and once directly to the embassy? For example, if the US embassy has a cap of one scholarship per person across a lifetime, they could (hypothetically) still apply directly to the schools the year after. 

you mean applying through the bilateral program, then applying the following year through the chinese university program? yes, this is possible. no problem with this. I think you would encounter lesser problems if you do this "strategy" since your documents will go through a different third party i.e. university. there are no restrictions as far as the CSC guidelines are concerned regarding this. 

BTW, im talking about the Masters-Language program combination i.e. you apply for language this year, then masters the following year, or vice versa. I don't know about the other combinations. Talking to one of the CSC reps, what I got from him is that they normally don't allow a Bachelor's degree-Masters combination--didn't bother to delve deeper in this one since this does not concern me anyway.