Chinese-Forums

2017 CSC Scholarships

Angelina

@OlkaN98 Yes, getting the award letter means you've been nominated as a candidate for the CSC scholarship. That sounds a little bit strange to me. I thought your status should have changed to 'in-progress'  instead of 'submitted'. I'm not sure exactly how the process goes, this is just my personal assumption based on my own experience. But I was told as long as you got the award letter, it's a good sign and a good step forward and you should be happy about that for now.

Thanks for the answer @Jabri!

I don't know what's with the laihua status but I am a little worried because others already have in progress and I am still stuck with submitted, maybe my embassy just hasn't sent the documents to China yet or something.  I'll try later and ask my university maybe they could give me some news about me getting the scholarship or no.

On 2017-5-10 at 6:55 PM, zhandingjietie said:

Hi, I applied to Xiamen University.

They contacted me in mid-April to change some information in my application.

I know one guy he got refused the day before yesterday through univerisity online application system.

Have you got any news from them, any updates on your application?

Haven't heard anything from them and no updates on my application yet. Getting a little impatient, but I guess it's a waiting game for now. 

FYI to US applicants: An email went out today from the embassy requesting a home mailing address (I saw 61 names in the list). The email mentioned that there were a few wait-listed candidates as well. Of course the final decision will still be made by CSC and made known to us at the end of July (most likely).

Hey all, been reading the threads for this and last year. I have a question regarding the emails and US applicants. So I applied through the IIE to the Chinese Consulate in NY, would I be grouped with those who applied for the CGS directly with the embassy in D.C.

I'm asking because I didn't get an email today, however Tsinghua (one of the three I applied to) contacted me regarding some clerical stuff on my app - which to me indicated that I had made it past the CSC round.

Hi all, two things:

1. For everyone whose status says "Submitted" and who have not heard anything else yet from their embassy (ie no award letter or anything else) - it might be worth checking with them if they're processing your application. I just checked with mine and as it turned out, although it said "Submitted", it hadn't gone through and had not reached my university yet. My embassy got on it and I received a notification from my first choice uni the same day. Which brings me to -

2. Unfortunately it wasn't great news from my uni. They're really sweet and supportive but said that if they forward my application to CSC it'll probably get rejected. This is because although I'd applied for a Chinese instructed programme, I'm not a HSK5 or HSK6 holder (currently I have HSK3 with 274 points, though I'm pretty sure I could pass HSK4 at this point but there are no upcoming exams in my area). Now this had me completely confused - I was under the impression that you can request a one-year preparatory language programme to get you up to the level you need to study your programme of choice, as described here: http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070

According to this website, Master's students get 1-2 years Chinese Language (preparatory) study before starting their programme. It also says: "Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take Chinese language courses for one to two academic years to reach the language requirements of their host universities before moving on to their major studies."

I'm sure the lecturer is right and if he says CSC will reject me for not having HSK5 or HSK6, they probably will. It's just surprising to me. Did everyone else know about this? What's going on? Nowhere does it say that you can only apply with HSK5 or 6!

• Like 1

@Jellyfish does this only affect those who are to study their masters ,or its also for  undergraduate applicants,yes and i do agree with you ,it was stated that all applicants who apply to study in Chinese must have preparatory language for both undergraduate and masters degree (compulsory for undegraduate applicants) if not up to HSK standard.now i am really confused,and did you only hear from your first choice.

• Like 1

@Jellyfish

Huh, is that how it works? I didn't think the embassy actually was the one to initiate contact with the universities. I thought it was embassy --> CSC --> University placement. As in, if you are hearing results from the university, wouldn't it mean the CSC forwarded your application to the university? If you applied through the university then that order makes sense. I could be totally wrong.

You can absolutely apply for the 1 year with preparatory study, though maybe the competition would be a little higher? Looking at last year's EU Window results (http://www.chinamission.be/eng/zglx/t1383399.htm), there were 8 people who were awarded a year of preparatory study (out of 140 awardees). I don't know if that means anything, there are a ton of language students as well so I don't know.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard any updates from the EU Window application? I'm not even sure they are looking at their e-mail. I have some admissions deadlines coming up for universities here at home and was wondering if anyone else had managed to contact the PR China Mission to Europe in Belgium. They seem to be rather difficult to reach.

@hejmeddig Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I was very surprised too re: the order of all this but it's definitely what happened. I talked to my embassy, got the explanation that my application hadn't been submitted for some reason, was asked to send another PDF copy of my application, did so, a few hours later my uni got in touch saying they're happy to forward my application to CSC but think it'll be turned down because my HSK is too low. I'm not applying for the university scholarship (I missed that deadline) but through my embassy. The only explanation I can come up with is that my embassy sent the application both to CSC and to the university at the same time to speed things up, seeing as they'd somehow not submitted it in the first round?

That'd make sense if the competition is higher for the preparatory language course option, or maybe the university has already filled all spaces for that option? The lecturer I'm in contact with didn't even mention that option though, that's what confused me. He definitely made it sound as if anything below HSK5 will be rejected. I did ask him about it in my reply and will report back when I hear anything.

• Like 1

I'm really worried now. I also have HSK3 and applied for a one-year preparatory language programme. I would be really interested to hear what your lecturer reports back. 

Regarding contacting PR China Mission, their email is useless. You should call them instead, that's how I managed to get hold of them. The lady was very helpful. 

• Like 1

@aymen Will let you know as soon as I hear anything. Don't worry for now, my application was a total shambles from beginning to end (climaxing today in the embassy admitting they had somehow lost it "in the system") and for all I know I just selected the wrong option somewhere in the application form... I think we're all in agreement that the 1 year preparatory programme is not a figment of my (or your) imagination so I'm sure the mistake is mine :)

Nowadays Chinese universities are less willing to give preparatory language courses than it was 5-6 years ago. There are lots of HSK 5-6 holders, even among them competition is fierce, no need for universities to bother arranging Chinese courses. I think 2-3 years later there will be no free language courses for government scholarship students, that's the current tendency.

Check the new application form, the CSC deleted "Do you need Chinese language course prior to your studies" question from the application form.

• Like 1