Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019

Matheus Salgado
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

1 hour ago, AstridB said:

@Janghyeok Good luck, it's definitely progress! Where are you applying to?

北京语言大学 and 天津师范大学 as my second choice, but looks like I got accepted by my first choice university so I guess now it's just up to Hanban whether they want to give me the scholarship. Still don't have any email about an interview though, which I expected them to want to do. 

7 hours ago, ana_hwang said:

@Janghyeok you have reached stage 4 already? Congrats! I am at stage 3 now :D

The interview is with Hanban? Some of them said the interview conducted by the university. If it's with Hanban, isn't Hanban starts selecting after the application deadline close? By 20th May?

Yeah, I have reached stage 4 already. And the interview is supposed to be conducted by the university, not by Hanban, I know some people from my country that already went through it and are at stage 4 too. Generally the bigger/more popular the university is the more likely is that they will want to talk you before they say "yes" and hand your case over to Hanban for their final decision (since the university accepting you is no guarantee that you get the actual scholarship and you'll only be certain whether you got it or not sometime in June probably). But since it's not regulated by Hanban it's entirely up to them whether they want to do it or not. I just highly expected it in my case since my university is in Beijing and I'm applying for a full bachelor's degree scholarship.

Btw don't get anxious if your university is taking a little longer, it doesn't mean anything. Every university has its own pace, some seem to want to get it over with as fast as they can and some might want to wait a long time to collect everyone's applications (as deadlines are still quite far away and I know a lot of people who still haven't completed their applications). But generally the faster your first choice university makes their choice (whether they accept you or not) the better, since if they don't accept you then your application reaches your second choice university faster. 

• Like 1

In my country i never heard someone has been refused by Hanban, have you?? What would be the case they could tell you you can´t come. I can imagine problem with your documentation, or that too many people applied to the universities you have chosen? idk.

5 hours ago, Tuxon said:

In my country i never heard someone has been refused by Hanban, have you?? What would be the case they could tell you you can´t come. I can imagine problem with your documentation, or that too many people applied to the universities you have chosen? idk.

I don't know the reason, I just know it happened to some people. I'm guessing Hanban has the final say and they look over everything one last time. Maybe they can still adjust the amount of "Hanban scholarship" slots an university has depending on the situation. So they might, for some reason, want to take away some slots to give to another university, hence they need to reject some people even though they have been already accepted by their university. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 5:03 PM, sp22 said:

yes I got accepted by 北航 yesterday after an interview. Wondering if this means we still have to wait until May/June for Hanban's final decision or if we might hear earlier than that.

How was it the interview? Every university do it?

In my case i applied to Confucius institute, they called me and i went last week for a interview at the institute, yesterday they told me i got selected to apply at CIS.

Last year i applied for the 1 month scholarship and it was the same process, apply - interview at confucius institute - getting accepted, i never got a interview with my Chinese university (Maybe because the one im choosing has a direct partnership with my local Confucius institute? idk)

15 hours ago, Tuxon said:

In my case i applied to Confucius institute, they called me and i went last week for a interview at the institute, yesterday they told me i got selected to apply at CIS.

Last year i applied for the 1 month scholarship and it was the same process, apply - interview at confucius institute - getting accepted, i never got a interview with my Chinese university (Maybe because the one im choosing has a direct partnership with my local Confucius institute? idk)

I don't belong to a Confucius Instiute. In this case how I do my interview? Maybe trough skype or something like that.

I applied some days ago, I was at the second stage. Now I am back to the first and they send me this " 请选择有效的推荐机构。 " Does it mean that my reccomending institution is not good? I never studied in a Confucius Institute so I put my University ?

1 hour ago, Richard_ said:

I don't belong to a Confucius Instiute. In this case how I do my interview? Maybe trough skype or something like that.

I applied some days ago, I was at the second stage. Now I am back to the first and they send me this " 请选择有效的推荐机构。 " Does it mean that my reccomending institution is not good? I never studied in a Confucius Institute so I put my University ?

I think you can only apply to CIS if you have a Confucius institute or some other institute that has an agreement with them, in some part you have to upload a referral letter signed from them (At least what i remember from last year). Talk to your university and see what they tell you. Where did you made HSK exam?? You can also try talking to the place/institute where you made the exam.

Anyone got more than one scholarship at CIS? I have my account with all my data from my previous scholarship, but when i try to upload new files or change things it seems they rollback once i enter again, for example i try to change my HSK2 data to HSK3 and then it seems to go back to HSK2. Do i need to generate a new account or is there a new way to create a new form with my old account?? 

17 hours ago, Richard_ said:

I think your recommending institution pretty much has to be a Confucius Institute. You should get in touch with one of them in your country, send them the documents that they need and ask for a referral letter. It might depend on your country and that Institute but most of the time they don't have a problem with giving a recommendation to someone who has never studied at their Institute or has no connections to the university the Institute is a part of. 

23 minutes ago, Frank Jansen said:

Do you guys expect that we still have to wait until the begin of July for the final decision of Hanban? I saw last year the results came out at July 3rd...

I think it might depend at what institution you are applying to.

I mean, if you apply to a university not very famous where only 10 more students have applied, plus it has a direct partnership with your local Confucius Institute, the process might be faster for the Hanban office at that university. But for example if you apply to Zhejiang University, Fudan university or some other famous university and the local Hanban office has to check 1000 forms (saying some random numbers), it might take longer.

I imagine it would be like this if each local Hanban office have to check everything.

@Tuxon @Frank Jansen

I have been wondering that way too. Well I applied to the regular university that has direct partnership with my local CI, so I might get faster result? And Hanban office that did the selection, is it per university? I thought the headquarter will do the sorting. 

They said Hanban start sorting the applicants once they close the application, which is in our case, May 20th.

• 2 weeks later...
EmperorTomatoKetchup

I just applied for the one-year language study, I would've done it earlier but I received my HSK 3 result only this week.

As a language student doing 4 hours per day, would it be "allowed" to get a part time job in the city you study at? This would also improve one's chinese, keep oneself busy and make some extra money. Did anyone hear of someone who has done that?

EmperorTomatoKetchup

how long did it take for you guys to move from step 2 to 3?

I also tried to find out when the semesters start and end, even the chinese websites don't make this clear. I applied at Fujian Normal University and Qingdao University for the one-year language program but couldn't find out, if the semester starts September 1st (or sooner/later) and how long the semester break is. Does anyone know?

• New Members

Hello guys. Please currdntly on the confucius scholarship application site when you click to apply for one year scholarship a pop up saying that the scholarship application exceeds the expected admissions and admission rate is low. So does it mean should you still progress your application will not be considered even with good scores?