Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019

Matheus Salgado
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

1 minute ago, ana_hwang said:

So it still doesnt mean that I get this scholarship ya?

你说的对 :P

Its just a procedure certain universities do so they can have the information of their future students in advance (in case Hanban approves). The only way to be sure we get the scholarship is via CIS system, getting the tick in Stage 5.

hi, do any of you guys know anything about recommendation letter? here's my problem,

1. my recommending institute sent me a recommendation letter together with a guide telling me how to fill the form

2. i feel weird because the name of the one who signed my recommendation letter and the name that they told me to fill in the name of referee column are different, lets say the name who signed on my recommendation letter is "jack", and the institute told me to fill "daniel", however, i did what im told to do because it was a clear guide from them to do so

3. two days after that my school rejected my application said the name of the one who signed my recommendation letter and the name that they told me to fill in the name of referee column should not be different, i went back to the 1st stage, school told me to change it and re-submit

4. i did change the name in the column to "jack" the one whose name is on my recommendation letter

5. then my recommending institute rejected me said i didnt do it right, i should follow the guidelines, i told them about my condition that ive been rejected, but they keep saying that thats how they always do it all this time, and wouldn't approve my application until i changed the name of referee back to "daniel" again

6. i told the school about my condition, and they said it was because they afraid the hanban wouldn't let me pass if the name was different, but if i insist, then they could actually approve me, and they did because i got no other choice anymore

7. and now im waiting on the stage 4

please let me know if there are any of you guys facing the same problem here, need help here. thanks so much!

EmperorTomatoKetchup

I got to stage 4 today (my conficius institute told me that I got accepted by my first choice, Sichuan University). Is it likely that Hanban will accept my application as well or is there a chance, that they decline it?

1 hour ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

I got to stage 4 today (my conficius institute told me that I got accepted by my first choice, Sichuan University). Is it likely that Hanban will accept my application as well or is there a chance, that they decline it?

In my country 8 applied to CIS, 2 have been rejected on Stage 4 (got the X), and 2 more are still on Stage 3 and they are struggling to reach Stage 4... If they also get rejected thats a 50% rejection before Hanban, i think its a lot (The amount of people isnt big to take it as a whole, 8 is a very small number).

I guess if we all reached Stage 4 then we still have good chances to get accepted. But if Hanban have the possibility to reject people i guess not the 100% will get it.

Im so anxious i enter here everyday to see if anyone has any news lol, i want them to decide Today so i can clear my mind a little bit!

• New Members

Hello everyone.

This is my second time to apply for one academic year study in Chinese Language Study. Last year I applied with just my HSK 3 at 260 but I was rejected since I applied late, I guess.

This year I’ve applied with my HSK 4 at 196 (I did so bad at writing part since I couldn't finish it in the time.) and HSKK intermediate at 55 (I don't even know whether they will accept my HSKK since I couldn't pass it.) today. I know that I’m late again since they have a quota but I don't have any choice to apply now since the HSK documents just arrived a few days ago.

My first choice is Shanghai University as my CI recommends us to apply for it for the first choice, and the second one is Tianjin Normal University.

So, do you think I have a chance to be accepted this year? Even a little bit? I am so hopeless about it and I don’t know what to think. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, Tuxon said:

I guess if we all reached Stage 4 then we still have good chances to get accepted. But if Hanban have the possibility to reject people i guess not the 100% will get it.

Im so anxious i enter here everyday to see if anyone has any news lol, i want them to decide Today so i can clear my mind a little bit!

The teacher that handles the scholarships in my institue told me that as long as the university accepted you and there isn´t any problems with the documents you submitted there shouldn´t be any issues with Hanban. He even pre-congratulated me after being accepted by the Uni. I´m still anxious as !"$!"$ though. 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:52 AM, Tuxon said:

Saying this, each university has their own requirements, for example Zhejiang university accept only having HSK4, when the official requirements says its HSK3.

Its the best for each one of us to contact the universities where we want to go, and ask them if we are Ok to apply with them, if we meet their criteria (If we cant find them in their webpage).

No wonder I got this reply on my examination report from Zhejiang "HSK和HSK成绩未达我校一学年研修入学标准,不予录取" I have an HsK 3 score of 278.  Zhejiang A&F did accept me though. 

• Thanks 1

• New Members

Hi guys! My CI announced, that besides HSK, everyone who wants to get scholarship this year, should attend Confucius Institute exam, organized by Hanban in June. They say it is the first time, and know nothing about what kind of tasks would we have. Is anyone else have this exam in your CI? 

1 hour ago, Alyona said:

Hi guys! My CI announced, that besides HSK, everyone who wants to get scholarship this year, should attend Confucius Institute exam, organized by Hanban in June. They say it is the first time, and know nothing about what kind of tasks would we have. Is anyone else have this exam in your CI? 

We usually get interviewed face to face on wechat and if i am not wrong, some students who applied 厦门大学 had to take an exam before they actually get approval. In the exam they asked about economy of china, news, some companies related to china and its culture. I think it was just to see how much they now about china. 

2 hours ago, Kojiando said:

No wonder I got this reply on my examination report from Zhejiang "HSK和HSK成绩未达我校一学年研修入学标准,不予录取" I have an HsK 3 score of 278.  Zhejiang A&F did accept me though. 

Yes... its kinda tricky since one as a student might think every university goes by the same regulations everyone gets when we signed up, but then when you start looking university by university some have different HSK levels and scores, some others ask you to create an account in their webpage before reaching Stage 5, and start uploading everything including medical records, some others ask for you weird things like criminal records!

About your other post, i want to keep optimistic too, but since we have a sign logging in telling there are too many people signing in, that chances might not be high, it makes me nervous :( anyways, i guess we will find out in 2-5 weeks

I didnt got any request like that Alyone, weird! Also registrations have ended 1 or 2 weeks ago in my country.

• New Members
On 5/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, ltz1992 said:

maybe just because your student visa was still registered in china and you didnt cancel it, so technically according to your visa, you were still in china that time. check your visa, and re-apply, you maybe still got the chance. wish you luck!

According to my Confucius Institute, everyone who was in China in 2019 (even if just for some days) should be rejected by Hanban this year :(

EmperorTomatoKetchup
9 hours ago, claaaau said:

According to my Confucius Institute, everyone who was in China in 2019 (even if just for some days) should be rejected by Hanban this year :(

but you are referring to anyone who has been in China as a student, right? Cause there must be many people who just traveled on a tourist visa (like me).

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences so far to all of us. I am from Ghana, West Africa applying for this year's confucius scholarship for one academic year. 

I'm applying to my local CIs partner university in 杭州, (浙江工业大学). 

Took my HSK 4 and HSKK intermediate on 23rd March this year and received my online results on 23rd April. Because of the warning  given when trying to create the CI scholarship account that the number of applicants have exceeded the admission something.. ? and the fact that almost everyone considered the time to be quite late , we were pushed quickly by our Chinese lecturers and the CI workers including the director to go for the interview at my CI so we can be moved to stage 3 quickly. We applied using a screenshot of the online score report. ( read some school's site which suggested we can use screenshots too)

Some friends who chose some schools such as 河北大学,  * 安徽师范大学 and 兰州大学*  were sent back to stage 1 that they should upload  the  scanned copy of the hsk certificate ( which we didn't have). * for the latter two universities because some were accepted and moved to stage 4 with this same screenshot others were rejected. ( well actually it's the first time we are made to select different universities of our choice. Over the years, before you get a recommendation letter you must have met a cut off point set by the director of the confucius institute here in my university.  Aside that , you must have actively participated in activities of the institute  like volunteering and have supporting evidence to show. Obviously the former is supreme though. Due to this, those who were  given recommendation letters to apply were to choose the partner university strictly as first choice.  This year, it was  totally different because we have a new CI director . You choose schools based on your marks/ strength.

So, I submitted the application on 24th April and i was moved to stage 3 on 25th. My application bounced back on 26th April because the CI director's signature wasn't clear when she signed at stage 2. It was rectified and sent   on 27th April. It got bounced back again on 28th with the same problem . All this time no reason about me using the screenshot even though aside being sent back for the reason of the signature , some of my friends who were applying with me to the school had other reasons pertaining to their applications too which they had to rectify. (Well, some were,  one's hskk mark couldn't meet the 60 passmark and so she was told to choose Chinese language study instead. All of us applying with hsk 4 were to choose Chinese language and literature. (  only 浙江工业大学) others didn't have this problem. Those who applied earlier , that is those who took their hsk exams in January  and hence had everything ready during the opening of the portal to register were sent back because they were choosing Chinese language study with the HSK 4 . Well that's what our lecturers told us to choose . Apparently,  With hsk 4 , you meet the requirements for Chinese language and literature so that that is what you are supposed to choose and not the Chinese language study which is extremely funny ..like can I not choose what I want?  It is those with bad hskk marks even though a pass in hsk 4 or those applying with hsk 3 that were made to choose the Chinese language study. Ok. So the application was submitted again on 28th  April after talking to my  local CI  and on 1st May, it was sent to stage 3. This time  it took about 5 days . Why? Because the chinese were on a holiday ( workers day or days ? I really don't know . In my country it's only a day but apparently in China it's about 4 days or so. On 6th May,2019 I was finally sent to stage 4.  in fact (we) . Those applying to 浙江工业大学.  While some of our friends were sent to stage 4 somewhere in April few days after they applied with the same signature of which we were bounced back two times. Hmm.  We just received our certificate yesterday 16th May , 2019 . 4 days to the application deadline . It was already 17th in China since they lead us by 8hrs.  Sent a message to 浙江工业大学 if they will want me to email them with the certificate even though I've been sent to stage 4 but no response up till now. Well they never have responded to my messages except with auto reply telling me they have received the  messages . 

Now I'm very worried. What if hanban rejects me because of this screenshot. But they are the ones who give the certificates? Moreover they are in charge of the exam. So seeing the date on which I took the exam, they should know I wouldn't have received my application around the time, with this first come first served "policy" of theirs .I couldn't have waited that long only to submit my application yesterday? When will I have gotten to stage 4?  Moreover if the school didn't reject me, why should they when it is even easier from their end to input my number and verify if it's true or false. :( this thing is so frustrating. But I am very optimistic it'll work out . I believe I had quite a good score in my HSK 4 exam and a pass in the Hskk intermediate. 

If anyone has any information about someone who was actually able to get the scholarship although he or she used a screenshot, let me know pls. Thanks and all the best.

24 minutes ago, Defia said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences so far to all of us. I am from Ghana, West Africa applying for this year's confucius scholarship for one academic year. 

I'm applying to my local CIs partner university in 杭州, (浙江工业大学). 

Took my HSK 4 and HSKK intermediate on 23rd March this year and received my online results on 23rd April. Because of the warning  given when trying to create the CI scholarship account that the number of applicants have exceeded the admission something.. ? and the fact that almost everyone considered the time to be quite late , we were pushed quickly by our Chinese lecturers and the CI workers including the director to go for the interview at my CI so we can be moved to stage 3 quickly. We applied using a screenshot of the online score report. ( read some school's site which suggested we can use screenshots too)

Some friends who chose some schools such as 河北大学,  * 安徽师范大学 and 兰州大学*  were sent back to stage 1 that they should upload  the  scanned copy of the hsk certificate ( which we didn't have). * for the latter two universities because some were accepted and moved to stage 4 with this same screenshot others were rejected. ( well actually it's the first time we are made to select different universities of our choice. Over the years, before you get a recommendation letter you must have met a cut off point set by the director of the confucius institute here in my university.  Aside that , you must have actively participated in activities of the institute  like volunteering and have supporting evidence to show. Obviously the former is supreme though. Due to this, those who were  given recommendation letters to apply were to choose the partner university strictly as first choice.  This year, it was  totally different because we have a new CI director . You choose schools based on your marks/ strength.

So, I submitted the application on 24th April and i was moved to stage 3 on 25th. My application bounced back on 26th April because the CI director's signature wasn't clear when she signed at stage 2. It was rectified and sent   on 27th April. It got bounced back again on 28th with the same problem . All this time no reason about me using the screenshot even though aside being sent back for the reason of the signature , some of my friends who were applying with me to the school had other reasons pertaining to their applications too which they had to rectify. (Well, some were,  one's hskk mark couldn't meet the 60 passmark and so she was told to choose Chinese language study instead. All of us applying with hsk 4 were to choose Chinese language and literature. (  only 浙江工业大学) others didn't have this problem. Those who applied earlier , that is those who took their hsk exams in January  and hence had everything ready during the opening of the portal to register were sent back because they were choosing Chinese language study with the HSK 4 . Well that's what our lecturers told us to choose . Apparently,  With hsk 4 , you meet the requirements for Chinese language and literature so that that is what you are supposed to choose and not the Chinese language study which is extremely funny ..like can I not choose what I want?  It is those with bad hskk marks even though a pass in hsk 4 or those applying with hsk 3 that were made to choose the Chinese language study. Ok. So the application was submitted again on 28th  April after talking to my  local CI  and on 1st May, it was sent to stage 3. This time  it took about 5 days . Why? Because the chinese were on a holiday ( workers day or days ? I really don't know . In my country it's only a day but apparently in China it's about 4 days or so. On 6th May,2019 I was finally sent to stage 4.  in fact (we) . Those applying to 浙江工业大学.  While some of our friends were sent to stage 4 somewhere in April few days after they applied with the same signature of which we were bounced back two times. Hmm.  We just received our certificate yesterday 16th May , 2019 . 4 days to the application deadline . It was already 17th in China since they lead us by 8hrs.  Sent a message to 浙江工业大学 if they will want me to email them with the certificate even though I've been sent to stage 4 but no response up till now. Well they never have responded to my messages except with auto reply telling me they have received the  messages . 

Now I'm very worried. What if hanban rejects me because of this screenshot. But they are the ones who give the certificates? Moreover they are in charge of the exam. So seeing the date on which I took the exam, they should know I wouldn't have received my application around the time, with this first come first served "policy" of theirs .I couldn't have waited that long only to submit my application yesterday? When will I have gotten to stage 4?  Moreover if the school didn't reject me, why should they when it is even easier from their end to input my number and verify if it's true or false. :( this thing is so frustrating. But I am very optimistic it'll work out . I believe I had quite a good score in my HSK 4 exam and a pass in the Hskk intermediate. 

If anyone has any information about someone who was actually able to get the scholarship although he or she used a screenshot, let me know pls. Thanks and all the best.

My friends faced with the same problems, they also got their certificates yesterday and immediately told the Confucius institute teachers, and they helped them, they were sent to stage 1 and my friends uploaded the original documents. As far as i now they are in stage 3 right now

• New Members

Defia I have the same situation, my hsk result paper didnt come in time and my host institute said its okay , we applied and then they said its not okay , after that they didnt reject it and I got to 4th step. now my paper has come but they say we cant take it back and the school wich I received scholarship from said screenshot is not okay hanban doesnt accept this now I'm tied I dont know what to do. If anyone has any information about someone who was actually able to get the scholarship although used a screenshot just let us know

• New Members

Hi,

Does anyone know if the order of choices can be seen by the schools I apply to? Will what I put as my first and second choice affect my chances of getting in, or is it just that they send my application to one if I don't get into the other?

Thanks!

EmperorTomatoKetchup
19 hours ago, Defia said:

the only thing I can tell you is what my CI told me: some universities accept the screenshot. I sent emails to several universities, asking them if they accept a screenshot. some said yes, some no, some never replied. I chose my university accordingly (I wanted to go to Zhejiang Normal first but they said no). I have no idea if Hanban might decline you even though the university accepted the screenshot. All those decisions and changes in regulaitons (official or not), seem quite arbitrary so there's no definitve answer it seems.

On another note: I got accepted by Sichuan University, luckily they said on their website that you can apply for thr 700RMB if you want to live off-campus. But does anyone know if the universities pay for your flight as well? The other problem is that I can only book one year in advance, so I don't know whether I should only book my outbound flight or book the return flight as well and change it later. Will anyone ask for a return ticket at some point?