Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019

Matheus Salgado
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

EmperorTomatoKetchup
7 minutes ago, ana_hwang said:

I dont know the sem breaks but the one year program supposed to be held on Sep until Aug 2020

I hope it helps! 

thanks! My confucius institute told me, that September to August is the general duration but it depends on each university. One student worker told me, her course was until July, when they had the final exam. After that you can basically go home already, if you want to. This corresponds to what I just found on another website:

"Chinese universities follow a two-semester system to comprise a full year of study. A year-long course consists of two consecutive semesters; either Spring followed by Fall, or Fall followed by Spring. The fall semester typically runs between September and early January. Spring semester starts in late February/early March and runs through mid to late June."

http://www.chinastudyabroad.org/programs/study/mandarin-programs/21-programs/mandarin-programs-tabs/63-semester-year

So there's a break between January and March, which allows you to travel the country I suppose.

EmperorTomatoKetchup
8 minutes ago, ana_hwang said:

May I know which university are you applying to?

Fujian Normal in Fuzhou and Qingdao. And you?

I'm a bit worried because when I filled out the online form it said that they don't recommend applying for the one-year programs since they already received a lot of applications. I did it anyways, finger's crossed.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:28 AM, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

how long did it take for you guys to move from step 2 to 3?

I also tried to find out when the semesters start and end, even the chinese websites don't make this clear. I applied at Fujian Normal University and Qingdao University for the one-year language program but couldn't find out, if the semester starts September 1st (or sooner/later) and how long the semester break is. Does anyone know?

Step 2 to step 3 it depends on your local Confucius Institute, if they take more than 1 week you should call/mail them and ask if they have received your application, if they can look into it, etc... I applied mine 10 days ago, and past Wednesday i send a mail to my Confucius institute director, he told me he would look into it, next 2 days was easter holidays, and yesterday Monday he saw it and approved it.

I think each university has different schedule, i always have been told it starts mid September and ends in July (For Jilin daxue where im applying), but the exact date plus when the semester breaks might also depend with the Chinese new year festivals, since they change every year, and if they have the same amount of day classes, the start of the semester should also change.

You should send a mail the university you are applying and ask them. Also, if they buy the plane ticket for you, then you should also talk with them about the dates (For this not now, since no one has been confirmed)

On 4/22/2019 at 5:39 AM, Jerome22 said:

Hello guys. Please currdntly on the confucius scholarship application site when you click to apply for one year scholarship a pop up saying that the scholarship application exceeds the expected admissions and admission rate is low. So does it mean should you still progress your application will not be considered even with good scores?

I also saw that pop up sign... It means what it means, more people applying for 1 year scholarship, i think if you select 6 months scholarship nothing pops up. They will approve what they think its better based on each application, scores, etc...

On the other hand, not sure what to think about it on how they decide, if it depends on what university you are applying, for example 300 applications for Fudan daxue, but they only can approve 200 so it depends on each local university quotas. OR if they see the whole, 10000 applications (Im just throwing random numbers) and they decide our year quota for whole china is 8000. (Both taking in consideration grades, your formal education, etc...)

Saying this, if its the first option then you should have more chances applying to not so much famous universities, where i guess more people try to apply.

Anyways, good luck to everyone!!

9 hours ago, Tuxon said:

I think each university has different schedule, i always have been told it starts mid September and ends in July (For Jilin daxue where im applying), but the exact date plus when the semester breaks might also depend with the Chinese new year festivals, since they change every year, and if they have the same amount of day classes, the start of the semester should also change.

I have looked at the academic calendars of SJTU and Fudan.. they start in the first or second week of September. The winter break is around six weeks starting mid January and Chinese New Year usually falls within that time.

I think the Chinese semester is too long.. 18 weeks ? In the UK, it's a trimester system with 10 weeks per term. 

I have a few questions for the things you need to fill out which I hope someone will be able to answer.

It says you need to upload a "certificate photo", but what exactly is meant by this? A photo of you that can be used on a certificate? A school diploma?

You also have to fill out your Chinese name, but can you just skip this if you do not have one?

It also says you need to list an emergency contact in China. What do you use for that?

1 hour ago, AstridB said:

I have a few questions for the things you need to fill out which I hope someone will be able to answer.

It says you need to upload a "certificate photo", but what exactly is meant by this? A photo of you that can be used on a certificate? A school diploma?

You also have to fill out your Chinese name, but can you just skip this if you do not have one?

It also says you need to list an emergency contact in China. What do you use for that?

1. Exactly, a certificate photo is a picture with a degree of formality as the one you would use on a diploma (white background, clear face)

2. The application shouldn't have any blank spaces so I suggest you ask for a Chinese name to your Chinese teacher

3. I used the contact of a friend I met in China some years ago. You can ask your Chinese teacher for her family's contact (sisters, father, mother, friends, cousins, etc.) who are living in China or download a language learning app and make a Chinese friend who provides you with his contact information :)

19 minutes ago, MarleneAlv said:

1. Exactly, a certificate photo is a picture with a degree of formality as the one you would use on a diploma (white background, clear face)

2. The application shouldn't have any blank spaces so I suggest you ask for a Chinese name to your Chinese teacher

3. I used the contact of a friend I met in China some years ago. You can ask your Chinese teacher for her family's contact (sisters, father, mother, friends, cousins, etc.) who are living in China or download a language learning app and make a Chinese friend who provides you with his contact information :)

1. Great, thank you.

2. I'm currently not studying Chinese anywhere, so I guess I'll have to find out something myself then ^^
3. Okay, that's a very creative way! Do you think putting in my country's embassy as emergency contact could work..?

EmperorTomatoKetchup

I thought so at first but I found this information here: http://iso.bnu.edu.cn/en/pages?cid=409&pid=1

Q9. Whose contact information do I fill if I do not have any Chinese friends and has not been to China?

A: Contact information in China refers to your emergency contact while studying. It could be someone in China or overseas.

3 hours ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

I thought so at first but I found this information here: http://iso.bnu.edu.cn/en/pages?cid=409&pid=1

Q9. Whose contact information do I fill if I do not have any Chinese friends and has not been to China?

A: Contact information in China refers to your emergency contact while studying. It could be someone in China or overseas.

Ahhh thanks, that makes everything a lot easier!

Hey guys,

Could you please explain to me what exactly are the Cooperative Confucius Institute Scholarship? I'm a bit confused, what's the difference between applying to that and applying to the Confucius Scholarship?

In addition, would you guys help me with this? When applying to CI, do you have to apply on the cis website, on the school website, or both?

I have already lost my chance to CGS because I applied through CSC, to my embassy, got recommended, but didn't apply to my school 

Thanks

• New Members
On 4/23/2019 at 7:14 PM, Tuxon said:

Step 2 to step 3 it depends on your local Confucius Institute, if they take more than 1 week you should call/mail them and ask if they have received your application, if they can look into it, etc... I applied mine 10 days ago, and past Wednesday i send a mail to my Confucius institute director, he told me he would look into it, next 2 days was easter holidays, and yesterday Monday he saw it and approved it.

Hi, I find your post really helpful. I'm also applying for this year's one-year scholarship. Do you mind if I asked for the Confucius Institute Director's email? I would like to make sure they received my application :"). Thanks!

8 hours ago, garcias196 said:

Hi, I find your post really helpful. I'm also applying for this year's one-year scholarship. Do you mind if I asked for the Confucius Institute Director's email? I would like to make sure they received my application :"). Thanks!

It depends on each country, and some countries have several Confucius institutes so they might have a director in each institute.

Call the Confucius institute of your country, or the institute who told you about the scholarship, and tell them you already applied, if they have received your application.