Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Voyager2014 - I don't think it matters if you have been to China before, briefly. I think another scholarship under Hanban has this regulation though. I'm not sure if it's the great wall scholarship or excellent student scholarship. I actually did my HSK 3 here in China and I applied with Hanban very aware of that.

Mari Piano - I applied as an independent candidate, and Hanban required a recommendation letter from my CI or embassy...which I was able to provide. Yes, if you cannot provide a recommendation from an authority institution, Hanban will probably reject your application. It can also be quite a challenge for independent candidates because we do not have the backing of a CI in our country. So it's really easy for Hanban to just reject our application. But the recommendation makes all the difference.

Xuefang - a uni recommendation should be fine.

Ultimately, most of you will end up getting the scholarship. :) So start spending time with your loved ones, because you won't be seeing much of them in the next year!

• New Members

hi!!! I have a question: when I'll get to the dorm and I have to check in for a double room, could I choose of being with someone who's not of my same nationality? I'd like to be with someone who doesn't speak my language, will it be possible? sorry maybe it's a silly question but I've never lived this experience! Thankyou!!!

Xiaoling - Nope, you don't normally get to choose. Normally, they actually do the opposite and let students share the same room with another student from the same country or same region or same language. You have to consider this: does the other student from another nationality, who speaks another language want to share a room with you? Some people are not as open, and if you don't speak their language they will avoid communicating with you, no matter how friendly you are.

Best thing is to wait and see where they put you, and then if you can make friends with someone who you like, and likes you back, you can request to be room mates.

I honestly believe the whole roommate situation is very tricky, esp. with people from different countries and cultures. But goo luck! :)

I would have to agree, unless you make a friend or know somebody before you go. For a lot of people at my university the dorms were a big shock and the biggest problem for them. They probably vary around Chinese universities but the ones at Xian jiaotong were dreadful. I arrived a bit late and so was initially in a double room by myself. Then some Indian students arrived and they had obviously had problems with Muslim and non Muslim students living together before and requested for me to move to a different room with a Vietnamese guy. They would try the hard sell on the single rooms, but these were so expensive, even with the scholarship discount they were more expensive than renting off campus, they were not as nice, they had a curfew. But when you first arrive a lot of students felt pressured into taking this. I think there was the option of living in Chinese student dorms but you'd have to be pretty hardy I think. I assume your motive for living with someone who speaks another language is to practice more Chinese. I think this is quite hard to find someone who is willing to do the same thing. Personally I couldn't live in the student dorms and after a week sharing I found myself a room in an apartment off campus sharing with Chinese people. If you have the money and are in a university with poor quality dorms this is what I would recommend. I taught English for two hours a week and this covered my rent. Well worth it!

• New Members

Thank you for your reply guys! Well maybe I had an optimistic point of view about all this! I'll see what will happen! 
Bjnsharp: in your opinion is it easy to find a job once I'll get there? Usually how much a part-time english teacher (for schools, not private) could earn per week?
Thanks a lot guys!!!

Sorry to hear about your dorm experience Bjnshap. The roommate situation was such a problem for all of us too (no surprise there) and so at the end of the first semester, most of us were given single rooms. Our school has been very kind indeed. Do you know who didn't want to change rooms? Only 2 pairs of students, and both students in each pair were from the same country, race, religion, and spoke the same mother tongue. Something to think about perhaps? LOL. Let's not forget that when we are far away from home we communicate with our family a lot through VOIP e.g. Skype at odd hours, and some roommates are not as understanding as others. A friend of mine had a roommate who would communicate with her family for more than 5 hours a day until the early hours of the morning, and she would speak about my friend to her family! Best situation: your own room! Good luck!

If you are a native English speaker or you are caucasian who can speak English it will be very easy for you to get teaching gigs. One hour teaching in developed cities, could earn you 200-250 rmb (that's per hour).

Try to make connections now, while you wait for your documents. If you already know the city you will be in, you can start applying for part time jobs, that sort of thing. It'll be incredibly helpful.

• New Members

Hello everyone!

I've got a question which normally wouldn't bother me at all, but it's China, so you never know... When I applied for a CIS I attached a photocopy of my passport, which was issued 8 years ago and needless to say my appearance changed a lot since the photo was taken. Having read how often you have to show your passport as a laowai I decided to get the new one with the actual photo. Also I was in China for a brief trip two years ago and I had some problems on the airport as the border officers struggled with believing that the kid on the photo was actually me...

So my question is, do you think that the fact that the passport I photocopied and sent with the application will differ from the one I'm going to use when applying for a visa would be a problem? Do you know if the University uses the information from the passport in its invitation?

Of course the question is open assuming that Hanban agrees with the university's decision ;)

Nope, it won't be a problem. I did the same thing, I applied with an earlier photo...that wasn't even a passport photo and had no issues at all. It is not really relevant I think, it's just to increase the level of identification. They won't use it for visas or immigration. Cheers.

Hey guys!

My status changed to 
申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金 
(意见:授予2014年度孔子学院奖学金,请学校及时联系推荐机构或申请人办理入学相关手续。)2014年度获得全额奖学金。

Does it mean that I can start celebrating?:D

(意见:授予2014年度孔子学院奖学金,请学校及时联系推荐机构或申请人办理相关手续)2014年度获得全额奖学金。

接收院校:华东师范大学.

guys!!!

I am in panic!!

What does it mean?!

My status changed today

Mine too!!! Can't believe it!!

Oh my god you guys I got the exact same message as all of you!!

接收院校:四川大学

This probably makes me the only person I know with hsk 6 who got the scholarship! Anyone going to Chengdu? :)

hey guys here is What I have got:

“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金 
(意见:授予2014年度孔子学院奖学金,请学校及时联系推荐机构或申请人办理入学相关手续。)2014年度获得全额奖学金。

Let's start celebrating! What a relief. Congratulations to all who got grated the scholarships. 

P.S.: guys it says contact the both local CI and host U for detailed info. let's email them!

Add me to the group whose status changed with good news today :) one question though- on the "register" page, under 学期 it says 秋季. Do other people who applied for year have the same thing, or does this mean I only got the scholarship for 1 semester?

I have applied for one semester and I have the same message as you guys have, mine is what it should be.

I have question especially for those who applied in the past, what should be doing now? What are the procedure for those who got accepted?