Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

hi

Its about 17 days that I have sent an email to china scholarship council and some universities about my caseand yet I got no response(except shanghai Jia tong that claimed they don t provide any scholarship to undergraduate applicants!) .yesterday when I finally called Chinese embassy in my home country (Iran)they told me that they are not responsible for this scholarship and I should ask ministry of foreign affairs for this! .and unlike other countries Chinese embassy`s website there is not any notification about this in china embassy in Iran`s site.

Do you think what shall I do now?Have any of you sent an email to csc in recent days and got a response?

thanks

Hey guys, thanks for the useful info. i have a question thou, regarding the physical examination form. Do you really need to attach results of AIDS tests, and chest Xray exams, or can the doctor just sign the space there saying that you are fine basically. A speedy answer will be much appreciated, only have a few weeks left until the deadline. thank yous

I also called them once and they told me that I should apply through the ministry of science. My guess is that if you are not already a university student in Iran then you might not have much chance in getting it but anyway there are scholarships like "Shanghai government's scholarship" which are easier to get but I don't have much information about them either.

One more thing. If it's just about studying biotechnology I don't think that China would be a wise choice. Chinese is a freakishly difficult language. It will take you a long time to get to the level of fluency that you need for studying at a university in China. Most scholarships only cover one year of language study which is not enough even for very smart people. I'm not saying that people haven't done this but those people always say that because of their poor Chinese they practically couldn't understand anything for the first 2 years of university in China. However if you are interested in China and Chinese culture and that's why you are coming then it's another story.

(by the way Chinese education system's quality is very poor)

@mani:

Academia is still on vacation for the Chinese New Year. From what I can tell, school administrations won't return to their offices for another week or two. This doesn't mean they will respond to your inquiry, but there's a chance they might when they return to their offices.

@lovelife:

The AIDS testing is probably the most important part of the physical exam. You need to bear in mind that the Chinese government does not want you going to China, getting sick, getting their citizens sick, and causing a health problem for them. Do you have to submit it? If I were you, I would. But, the choice is yours. Some embassies may let it slide. Some might not. The risk is yours to take, but I personally cannot advise you to take that risk.

@mani

I have had Iranian classmates on scholarship at BLCU, but I did not inquire if they were CSC scholarship. There is a chance that Iran does not share the same relationship with the CSC that other countries do. Have you tried doing searches in your native language to see what other Iranians think?

If and when you find out more information, feel free to share it with the rest of us.

It's been useful to catch up with other candidates here so I am glad to finally post some information that may be useful to others. For some applications (most notably the EU Window) candidates are expected to include a prepaid self-addressed envelope. Obviously this presents difficulties when posting to another country (stamps/credit).

The correct procedure is to buy international stamp credit though these coupons can be quite illusive. The correct English name is "International Reply Coupon", the correct French name (as official postal language) is (predictably) "Coupon-Response International". Almost every region in the world should have them but many staff don’t know they exist. Their code is CN01. Finally got them in Beijing, though it took a lot of explanation using my limited Chinese (国际邮票 just didn’t cut it).

Getting toward the home straight for a few of the applications, if not passed already. I will be posting mine tomorrow. Good luck people.

• Like 1

I have a French classmate who got it in his third year just through several phone calls to the Chinese embassy in France. There are some countries that have better relationships with CSC. For Iran it seems that the only channel is through the ministry of science which is in charge of the universities. Theoretically it means that they only recommend their own students to the Chinese embassy and somehow I think they prefer to recommend postgraduate students. (Of course la guanxi(party baize) can do wonders)

As I know getting into biotechnology major is difficult in Iran, maybe you can first start with Chinese major at Shahidbeheshti university and then find a way to get the scholarship from China.

Hey all,

Finishing up my undergrad degree in the UK and am currently going through the laborious process of completing the CSC application for Chinese language study. Thanks to all the people who have posted, you have been a massive help. Special thanks especially to the people who revealed the issue regarding the Chinese embassy in London only accepting applications from certain universities and Confucius Institutes. I'm now applying via the EU to get round this issue.

Went to see my physician to talk about the medical and he was surprised at the amount of tests that are required. The doctor said that I could expect to pay £300+ to have all the tests carried out. Bearing in mind all the stories on this thread regarding the authorities refusing to accept 'foreigner physical forms' I'd like to know if it is really worth paying the cash to have tests that will most likely be deemed invalid once I get to the PRC.

Thoughts...?

Thanks to all of you, keep up the great work!

@fuzzypin

The physical examination is one of the most common questions asked. I know medical tests can be very expensive and some don't bother with it, but I suggest you include all required documents asked in the application.

@ Brian US Thanks, those were my thoughts too. Does anybody know what information you are supposed to supply in the sections on the FPEF where it just lists organs and other parts of the body (e.g. eyes, skin, lungs, neck etc..)? Not sure what the typical response should be, do they want to know that I have two eyes, or that they are both blue? :P

ALSO, I filled in the CSC application form online and then printed it out. However, I only filled in the compulsory fields (marked with a red asterisk). When I post my application should I fill in the other fields (passport number for example) or can I leave them blank seeing as the online form only required certain information?

In most cases these questions would seem rather ridiculous but given the lack of transparency and official support in the CSC application process, any doubts just get amplified. Oh well, such is bureaucracy....

@ Brian US Thanks, those were my thoughts too. Does anybody know what information you are supposed to supply in the sections on the FPEF where it just lists organs and other parts of the body (e.g. eyes, skin, lungs, neck etc..)? Not sure what the typical response should be, do they want to know that I have two eyes, or that they are both blue? :P

HA. Yes. I went to my appointment rather sheepishly and mumbled that I needed this form filled out and sorry it's so ridiculous and just lists body parts and things like "nourishment." My doctor ended up being Chinese and knew the drill. All of those sections are just filled out with "normal." If your doc is unfamiliar with the forms, I'd advise them to do the same. But chances are they've seen some weird paperwork in their day and know how to handle it.

I'm still confused with the letter of recommendation. in the archived posts thread, it was stated that we should be safe and include 2 copies of all.

but if I'm not mistaken, the letter of recommendation should be put in a sealed envelope.

should I ask my referee to make 2 letters and put them in 2 sealed envelopes? or he/she could just make one?

A sealed recommendation letter is considered more reliable, but I just threw mine in without sealing. They were from my teachers and written in Chinese, so doubt they would call me out for copying.

I brought this up last year that I don't think recommendation letters are that important. Have you ever heard of a bad recommendation letter? I also know of native English speakers that are paid well to write fake recommendation letters for Chinese students looking to study abroad. Unless you are in a bind and need a reference from your country's ambassador or 大山, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hello everyone, I have been following this thread for a while and wanted to ask a question...

I'm an undergrad from Canada and have applied for the CSC Scholarship 11-12. My question is, if I successfully receive the scholarship and study in china for 1 year as a chinese language student, will I receive academic credit for my studies in china? Are these credits transferable to my original university in Canada?

Thanks~

will I receive academic credit for my studies in china? Are these credits transferable to my original university in Canada?

This will depend on which university in China and Canada. It would be best if you started a new topic including your choices for a Chinese university.

I doubt anyone will be able to provide this information for you. You will need to ask your school in Canada as they should have a list of approved classes/schools.

I want to ask,can i Apply 2 scholarship,beside i apply this csc scholarship i want to apply in taiwan?is it legal or not?can someone help me?

Where i can find the number,i need to know the number of shanghai university.. When i looking for / search in csc i cant find the university with the number,just the univrsity.. Thx before guys..

I'm drafting my study plan now. I've just got another few paragraphs left, but this is easily going to be around 2,500 words.

Has anyone posted copies of theirs yet? I'd really like to read what others have written to get a feel as to whether or not I'm heading in the right direction. I searched this post and didn't find any examples.

I'd (as would others, I'm sure) really appreciate it if others who were successful in being awarded the scholarship could post their study plans and SOP's.