Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

can you plz explain how we can apply the embassy!

I hope others in Africa may confirm, but I assume you still send the application to the Chinese embassy in your home country. A Google search gives me this address:

Address: 34,Boulevard des Martyrs,Alger,Algérie

Tel: 00213-21-692724,692962

Fax: 00213-21-693056,693124,693086

You may have a better idea searching in other languages or the fact it is your home country.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this thread and it's been quite helpful so far, but i'm still left with a few questions.

First of all, is it possible to apply for the undergraduate scholarship without any preparatory chinese courses, even though I dont have an hsk?

I'm currently in Shanghai as a general chinese learner at Tongji university (self paid), and I'm quite confident that I can get the required hsk at the end of this term. Unfortunately, that's too late to apply for the scholarship.

On a related note, from what I understand CSC scholars still need to take the universities' entrance exam (correct me if I'm wrong). This would mean I also have to study chinese culture and whatnot, is that even possible without a course?

Lastly, it's pretty important for me to stay in Shanghai for my major, but it seems like there's not too many good universities here (Tongji, Jiaotong, Fudan, SISU). This means my number of choices for majors is very limited, since I need to study a major that is tought at 3 Shanghai universities.

My question being, is it possible to fill out only one or two universities in the application form, or to choose different majors for each university? If possible, do you know if it would influence my chances of being taken?

Oh right, and as I'm from Germany, I was wondering if I should apply for the EU scholarship, or just the normal one. It seems to me that the EU one is only for language learners.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

according to my information the application ALWAYS has to go to the embassy of the applicant's home country. for europe, even an application for scholarship extension has to go that way, so i am sending my application from china back to austria now to re-apply.

for the agency numbers i was told it has to always be the one of the embassy you are applying through. call the embassy and they will tell you which number to use - that worked fine here.

as far as i know only scholarship applications, which are processed directly by the university for the applicant go other ways (such as right through csc in china), every other situation: keep bugging the embassy in your home country to get your info together. it might take a while but is worth it after all when u get the scholarship in the end. (it took me almost 2 months to gather all the necessary info from the embassy in vienna, i guess embassies in other countries are not much better...)

加油!

First of all, is it possible to apply for the undergraduate scholarship without any preparatory chinese courses

Yes, but if the application requires a HSK score then you will need to provide it.

On a related note, from what I understand CSC scholars still need to take the universities' entrance exam (correct me if I'm wrong). This would mean I also have to study chinese culture and whatnot, is that even possible without a course?

We don't know for certain. I think this depends on what country you come from and what school you are applying to. For example, undergraduate students at Renmin University went through an interview before being admitted. Others needed to take the Gaokao or university entrance exam.

I don't even know for my own major! Last time I went to the office at Renmin University and asked if I needed to take the HSK for my masters program, I was told probably not.

My question being, is it possible to fill out only one or two universities in the application form, or to choose different majors for each university?

You can fill out one or two, but there is a chance you are sent to a random school in a different city/province. You may only select one major.

If possible, do you know if it would influence my chances of being taken?

No one knows.

I was wondering if I should apply for the EU scholarship, or just the normal one. It seems to me that the EU one is only for language learners.

I always said to apply to the EU scholarship, but after reading the details it does list it being for one year language study. Yet, another detail they list is a higher allowance for those studying for longer than one year. This is another example of the CSC contradicting itself and making things very confusing.

Can anyone confirm they received a scholarship through the EU CSC that wasn't just language?

@shidiwen

according to my information the application ALWAYS has to go to the embassy of the applicant's home country.

How do you answer the question of the member from Ethiopia, that doesn't have a Chinese embassy? I understand what you are saying, but I'm also confused on how exactly the EU process works. There appears to be more connections through universities and the Confucius Institute that aren't covered here.

for the agency numbers i was told it has to always be the one of the embassy you are applying through

I used the agency number for the school I applied to, so it isn't a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian!

I just figured, maybe it would be better for me to apply directly over a university here in Shanghai.

This way, I could figure out if I have to take their entrance exam. I could probably also convince them that I will have my HSK before I start studying the major, since I really dont want to spend another year here just learning chinese.

Also, it would make sure that i don't get sent to some random university in China, right?

About the EU scholarship, the higher allowance for people who study longer than one year is probably just for language learners who decide to study chinese for 2 years... who knows :S

Also, it would make sure that i don't get sent to some random university in China, right?

For some this is important, but the Chinese government is paying me to study for the next four years so I don't care where I go.

About the EU scholarship, the higher allowance for people who study longer than one year is probably just for language learners who decide to study chinese for 2 years... who knows :S

It says at the beginning of the EU part,"This scheme sponsors EU students to study Chinese in China for up to one year." I don't know if this changes, but like you said,"who knows."

For some this is important, but the Chinese government is paying me to study for the next four years so I don't care where I go.

Right, it is important for me :)

Anyway, I take that as it would be best for me to apply over a university. I will give it a shot and let everyone know how it goes later, for future reference.

@ eu scholarship:

i got the information that this comprises 100 scholarships for europeans to study language (and language only) in china for one semester or one year. the person in charge for austria also told me, it doesn't matter which program to apply for (eu scholarship or general csc scholarship) they are all awarded through the same process and people may end up in one or the other.

austrians are usually not included in the eu scholarship window ad they have another special scholarship scheme within the csc scholarships, so it seems those differnet names and systems are all for one and the same thing. also the application process is all the same.

@ applying from countries without their own chinese embassy:

some countries may not have their own chinese embassy (actually in the country), but still there must be an embassy in charge of that country. in those cases it is usually be a neighboring country. Austria for example just has one embassy in china which is also in charge of other asian countries. so i recommend to find out which one it is for ethiopia and send applications there.

btw: anyone in beijing (at beiwai) next semester? :) coffee or drinks anytime...

i am from the Philippines and i want to apply for a scholarship for this coming fall semester, and looking at the online application, i can't find what an agency number is.. will it be better if i just print the form than apply online? or you can tell me what an agency number is?

I already got my admission notice from Tsinghua University and I've been accepted for this semester as well as for the next semester. Tuition is to be payed per semester basis. But I am planning to apply for the scholarship without giving the admission notice with my application. I already finished the online application and it is already in PDF format but the application is not yet open. It wouldn't matter that I finish the application form early right? I also have the foreigner's physical exam form so I will just photocopy it (and get it notarized) and submit it with the application.

I indicated Tsinghua, Beida and BNU as my three school of choices but I am planning to change one of those to SJTU.

hello

I heard that in Algeria, Algerian government is the responsible for choosing who gets the scholarship, they organize a councours for the first three students in graduating year, and then they will choose who can go.

but that will be a problem because I finished my studies for three years, please is there someone ( algerian one) can tell is that correct or not!!!!!! and explain how are things going on here in Algeria, because I tried to call chinese embassy but they didn't answer my calls.

Hy to everyone and thank you for information! I'm from Italy and I'm applying for the Chinise scholarship. Do I have to send all the application package to the Chinese embassy in Rome or to Bruxelles? Because the Chinese Scholarship Program EU window says it must be sent to them. I'm applying for Chinese Language Training so I need only one recommendation letter, if I want, right? I'm not sure but I have read European do not need any Guarantor, is it alright?

Sorry for my doubts :)

Waiting for your answer :D

@xiaohouzi

But also thought I would put this up here on the board for reference as well as a PM.

I am also a British citizen trying to secure a scholarship for 2011/2012. I’ve had the same response from the Chinese Embassy in the U.K. – they have decided to accept only applications made through Confucius Institutions in the U.K. (I posted my situation on this thread: a few pages previously)

I have to say that that is very disappointing; in virtually every other country you may apply through the embassy. I have been looking at other ways to apply. EU is an option but you have to be 25 years old or under (I’m 26 unfortunately).

I am currently in China so I am looking at individual scholarship opportunities with universities themselves. If I can find another way to apply for CSC I will let you know.

For those with questions on the agency code, please refer to the last few pages. If you can't find the agency code to your country's embassy, then try the code for the university you wish to apply.

For the EU language training of one year, you may send your application to the Belgium address.

Hello Gaoxing

..csc website says that the time for application is from Jan to April 2011...

Can you point me to where you found this? I already tried applying based on the previous dates - from other years, would be interested in this information.

Also, can someone post the actual address that we need to send phsycial Australian applications to?

Another good question... I could never get an answer from the embassy (see in this thread), so just sent it to Canberra.

Troy

i am from the Philippines and i want to apply for a scholarship for this coming fall semester, and looking at the online application, i can't find what an agency number is.. will it be better if i just print the form than apply online? or you can tell me what an agency number is?

Hi liya, I'm from the Philippines too. I'm planning to apply for the CSC scholarship. you can read through the forum to get an idea of what you need.

BTW, my email is jrmortel@gmail.com. Maybe we can help each other out with completing the application requirements.

Hello everyone,

I'm a British student doing his PhD in East Asian Studies at an American university. I had planned to apply to the CSC via the Chinese Embassy in the UK, but according the posters above this is now impossible. So I have a few questions:

1. I'll speak to my university here to see if they can establish a relationship with the CSC. But even then, can an American university put forward a CSC scholarship application for a British student?

2. Does anyone know of any other Chinese governmental scholarships that someone in my position might be able to apply for?

And a final wild shot -- if the UK Chinese Embassy is only accepting applications via the Confucius Institutes, etc., is there any way I could get in the CI's good books?

Thanks,

JS