Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

I am really confused about the scholarship ! I have gone through more than 25 universities sites and all I found is that in scholarship section it is written that they only accept master and Doctoral students from this scholarship program(and the publishing date is 2011)! I have emailed to 6 universities about this but I got no response.Maybe because it is Chinese new year(right?)

Another question is that in order to apply for this scholarship there should be an agreement between your country and china?

If someone can give me a hand and list the universities which accept undergraduate applicants from this program I will really be glad of that

Thanks a lot UKtoChina. I'll get cracking on with the application then!

edit: so my course at university is a bit odd; i've had to do a 2 year foundation course in order to pass onto the 1 year top up to achieve a BA, which i'm currently doing. i passed the foundation course and have my transcript (grades), but don't really have a diploma, just a letter saying congratulations, you've passed etc. would that be enough?

i could submit my a-level grades, but i got pretty good marks for my foundation course : /

@mani

The website already lists universities participating with the CSC. It depends on what your major is, but most school websites should mention them.

For those of you wondering what to include and what not to, remember that anything extra is optional. If you feel grades from a year of university or special certification will help your chances, then go for it.

If you can't find the agency code for your home country then just put in the agency code to your first preferred school.

Hey everybody, I've been a long time reader of this thread and now a first time contributor. I'm an Indonesian currently studying in Department of Chinese Studies. First, hats off to Brian US, and thanks to everyone else for taking time to help others. I hope I can give some assistance, but I have a question that I'm a bit stumped by.

If I am applying as a Chinese Language Student and I haven’t taken HSK yet, so what do I need to put in sections 4 of the application form (language proficiency)? There is a statement like this : “Level of HSK test or other certificates which can show your Chinese level”. Can I use my Chinese language marks in transcript of university study to fill this section?

Also, does anybody here wanna share to me his/her sample of completed application form? I think there are several things which make me confused, so that I can use it as my guide in filling out my own.

Finally, it’ll be your kindness if you want to help me. Lot of thanks. ;)

@ UK to China:

I saw that in one of your posts you mentioned that the EU Scholarship has an age limit 35. In some of the literature that I have seen, the age limit appears to be 25. Could you please send me a link to the literature you've seen that states the conditions?

Thanks - this would be very useful.

Thrice12

Thanks for that. I have just seen it on the previous page, apologies - must have missed it when scanning through.

One of the documents I found suggested that the age limit was 25 but the one posted here is more up to date so I will go with that.

Scholarship extension

Hello everyone,

Just in case anyone who is already on scholarship wants to continue their studies (Chinese Learning only), I figured it would be nice to drop a line about it as I have seen a plenty of students who were planning to extend their studies at BLCU.

To make it short, there is no such concept as extension. You need to reapply just like the first time. In other words, you have to download your application form from CSC website, get the reference letters (you can get your letters from teachers in your university), write another personal plan and order transcripts from your previous school if applicable. In addition, if you can, photocopy your report card from school in China as I heard from people that it might increase your chance of extension.

Once you gather everything, ask the Chinese embassy in your country about the deadline and agent number so you can do the online application form and send everything back to your country. YOU MUST SEND EVERYTHING BACK TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY. As far as there is no way you can reapply in China.

For Canada, most of the deadlines have passed already. (For Toronto, it was the end of December, BC was the end of January and Ottawa was the beginning of February.)

I have applied for the second time this year and will get my result at the end of this month. (Hopefully I get it this time.)

If anyone has more questions or is not clear about what I said earlier, feel free to ask me:D Hope this helps.

Greetings all, I'm from the US and I am applying for the CSC 2011-2012 scholarship. As of current, I live in Beijing and I'm a Tsinghua Chinese language student. I've been studying at Tsinghua since Fall 2010 (paying tuition out of pocket). I will continue studying at Tsinghua in Spring 2011.

I have a couple questions and I hope someone might be able to assist me with answers.

Questions:

1.) I listed "Peking University," "Tsinghua University" and "Renmin University" as my institutions of choices on the application. Is it OK to write the names of these institutions or do I need to write the revelant school code? On another note, am I wasting my time by listing these insitutions? Should I go for less well-known schools?

2.) I plan to mail my documents to the Chinese embassy in Washington DC. Does anyone happen to have the address? (you can msg me)

Thank you!

@totgafk

PM sent.

About the universities -- I don't know. I've heard that Tsinghua doesn't accept language scholarship students, but I don't know about PKU. Brian US is currently at Renmin with a scholarship. Brian US, was this one of your three requests?

What you could try doing is to apply for the schools that you want directly, and then send the admittance letters along with your scholarship application.

What might happen, as you have listed the three most coveted schools in China, is that they put you in a fourth school, which you have not chosen. I like your school lineup. With that said, I like your school lineup, and it looks like it could work. Can we get reports from anyone who has tried and succeeded with these particular schools?

Hi all,

Resurfacing to participate in this year's thread, as this will be the year I finally manage to apply (after unsuccessful attempts since 2008). What ruined it last year: some info floating around this board (or possibly just a misunderstanding on my part) suggesting that deadlines for US citizens were in January, and a follow-up e-mail to one of the DC embassy contacts who "confirmed" that, "yes, that's right." Hint: it wasn't. Moral of the story is that if you're interested in applying and see some discouraging information floating around this board or even from consular officials, apply anyway, unless you'll incur some type of major expense (e.g. pay $300 out of pocket for a chest x-ray, etc.) in the process. Even the best information out there seems to be crap, so you might as well take a chance.

Me: US citizen applying from the US and through the DC embassy (not university or Confucius Institute affiliated), Mid-20's, 3 years of university-level Chinese (almost 6 years ago, so pretty much useless now). Applying as a language scholar at all the usuals in Beijing--BNU is my first choice, for what it's worth. I'm no longer a student, but have been taking continuing ed university level classes on and off over the past three years or so, so I'm hoping to emphasize that in my application at least.

Here's the part where I'll try to be helpful by describing how I dealt with the parts of the application that intimidated me most:

-Notarized everything: I'm not sure why I worried about this. I went to the UPS store and they made color copies of everything and notarized them all for $1 per page. Took all of 15 minutes.

-Medical stuff: This deterred me from applying more than once, the health care system in the US being what it is (and my income being what it is.) I was lucky to be on state subsidized insurance for a year, and my instincts told me to go get everything done before I switched to a private employer plan. I went on my last day of coverage because I'm a procrastinator, and assumed I'd have to do the x-rays and EKG some other day at my own expense. But the doctors and nurses were amazing at making sure I had everything done that night--to the point of calling in to an ER radiology department to make a special same night appointment for the x-ray. All of the medical stuff took less than 2.5 hours, which included about an hour of trying to get a cab to the ER during a snowstorm. Sorry to go on and on about this topic, but being young and un/underinsured was pretty much my only hurdle in getting this application done, so if any other US people are in the same boat, see what's available from your state/county, sliding scale clinics for low income people, or payment plans through your provider. Weirdly enough, the one thing I'm missing from the medical form is my blood type, because the doctor said it's an extra test and won't be covered. I don't want to wait to donate blood, and my parents can't seem to find my old records, so I'm probably just going to make an educated guess based on my ethnicity and the lab experiment we did in 8th grade science class. I'm assuming they won't hold me to it if I need a massive blood transfusion in China.

Anyway, I'm planning on sending off my application in the next week or two, and don't have any major questions at this point. Thanks to my many false starts, I've had plenty of time to fill out and revise the application/personal statement stuff, and collect letters of rec.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether there's still someone on the board willing to serve as a guarantor? I saw extrapages' offer early in the topic, who it appears is now no longer in China? If you're in China and willing, please let me know, as I'm bound to waste time trying to make something up that sounds believable. I promise not to share the information, Google you, or stalk you in the event I make it over there. Thanks

Bear with me – this is a CSC request, though rather an obscure one.

Some of the applications (in this case the EU Window CSC Scholarship) ask applicants to send a self addressed envelope with the application so that they can send some documents to successful applicants. The EU one is based in Belgium so regarding the pre-payment of the envelope (stamps), what would you put on there? The literature suggests using a “reliable express delivery service” but how could you do this for an envelope to be used by a third party in future?

Obviously if this was in the U.K. I would simply put a ready stamped self-addressed envelope in there but it is to a foreign country so am I missing something here?

@jedija

For the HSK section I just put "N/A" there as I already listed my language level as beginner.

You can just input the school preference by name, no need to use the agency code. I myself listed Tsinghua as my first preference, Beijing University as my second, and Renmin as my third. I was accepted to Renmin University.

ms. foo I'll pm you guarantor information.

Sorry for those awaiting post approval. Just got back from vacation.

As I promised before, I'll try to upload the application I sent in. This won't be until the end of the month as I left all the documentation in Beijing. I'm currently in the states.

Bear with me – this is a CSC request, though rather an obscure one.

Some of the applications (in this case the EU Window CSC Scholarship) ask applicants to send a self addressed envelope with the application so that they can send some documents to successful applicants. The EU one is based in Belgium so regarding the pre-payment of the envelope (stamps), what would you put on there? The literature suggests using a “reliable express delivery service” but how could you do this for an envelope to be used by a third party in future?

Obviously if this was in the U.K. I would simply put a ready stamped self-addressed envelope in there but it is to a foreign country so am I missing something here?

That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm going to ask the guys in our postroom at work for their advice and will let you know what I find out...

Did you all type or hand-write information on the application?

I typed and in some of the fields (where I wrote a lot, ie "Work Engaged") the text is very small (but still readable). The more one types in a field, the smaller the text becomes (in the respective field).

Did anyone else experience this issue?