Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

I just finish my medical exam. I had it stamped with my doctor (on the photo part and at the bottom right part of the form. It has her license number but it does not have her contact number and the address of her clinic. Is it alright to leave it like that? Should I have my medical form get something like a seal from the hospital?

I just finish my medical exam. I had it stamped with my doctor (on the photo part and at the bottom right part of the form. It has her license number but it does not have her contact number and the address of her clinic. Is it alright to leave it like that?

There is no heading on the forms? Maybe just include a number and address in case they want to look her up.

FOR APPLICANTS FROM THE US:

I just received an answer from the DC office with specific instructions on (1) Agency Number and (2) due dates.

1. Agency Number is 8401 (DC Embassy)

2. Materials must reach CSC by March 30th 2011

This most likely means that materials will need to reach DC Embassy on an earlier date, since I assume the Embassy forwards the materials to CSC, which requires additional time. However, I have not yet been able to confirm this yet..)

For details, please see attached two files.

学生开展网上报名的操作说明E.doc

中国政府国别奖学金申请办法E.doc

For those applying to the DC embassy:

They will close for the Chinese New Year holiday from the 3rd to the 6th of February. I'm trying to get my application in prior to this date or immediately afterward.

Also, for those who need A4 paper (in the US we use "US Letter" sized paper, which is not the same), it is somewhat difficult to find in stores, and I would recommend you obtain some before you need to print your application documents. Amazon and Office Max online have some A4 available to order.

One last thing, the embassy's deadline last year was March 30th, and then they forwarded the applications to the CSC in April (The CSC's deadline last year was April 30th).

@Kayro: Are you sure the contact at the embassy meant the March 30th date was the CSC's deadline and not the embassy's deadline? Per the online information, "The application period for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program is from January to April, 2011. Applicants shall consult the dispatching authorities about details on the application period and procedures." This gives me the impression that the CSC due date is in April, not March.

Hi everyone,

Since i'm really getting confused about renewing the CSC scholarship, I thought the best thing might be asking here for some insights.

Does anyone have experience or news about renewing the scholarship from within China, specifically the Visiting Scholar type? I'm not sure if it's possible at all, but it should be up to two years. Does it need some form of examination (for Italy, my country, you needed to get examined and evaluated before getting the scholarship, it might be different for other places)?

Do I need to send all the documentation again?

That would be extremely difficult as well, since I don't have the money to go back to my country to print official copies of my degree, examination forms and so on. Damn bureaucracy...

As usual, the Foreign students'office of my university here (Chongqing) is of no help, so I really have to figure out myself. Easier said than done. So thanks in advance for any help.

@Guo Jia

You need to read this thread fully before asking questions. Yes, you can apply for the scholarship from China, as has been mentioned many, many times before. For example, the first page of this thread:

People currently in China can also apply, but they still have to mail their applications to a Chinese embassy in their home country!

You have to re-apply for the scholarship again. There is no such thing as a "renewal". The school may be able to facilitate the process, but you have to apply again, according to my embassy.

You can re-use your health examination that you completed with the university in Chongqing. When did you do the exam? September 2010? If so, it should be fine.

You'll have to get all the documentation like you did before. Better find a proxy to help you handle the documents back home if you are unable to return home yourself.

One last thing, the embassy's deadline last year was March 30th, and then they forwarded the applications to the CSC in April (The CSC's deadline last year was April 30th).

@Kayro: Are you sure the contact at the embassy meant the March 30th date was the CSC's deadline and not the embassy's deadline? Per the online information, "The application period for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program is from January to April, 2011. Applicants shall consult the dispatching authorities about details on the application period and procedures." This gives me the impression that the CSC due date is in April, not March.

I remember last year I sent my application towards mid/end of April... I remember I was cutting it close but I did contact DC embassy over and over until I got in touch with the person I needed to speak with and she said that was OK. (I was awarded the scholarship last year but declined). However the person at the embassy in charge of the CSC Scholarships has changed this year so perhaps he's following deadlines more closely or setting earlier deadlines.

I just finish my medical exam. I had it stamped with my doctor (on the photo part and at the bottom right part of the form. It has her license number but it does not have her contact number and the address of her clinic. Is it alright to leave it like that? Should I have my medical form get something like a seal from the hospital?

My doctor's stamp last year only had his name, nothing else. So I just had him stamp halfway on picture/page as instructed and then attached his business card to both copies.

Applied early this year so hoping to get the award notification earlier this year!! at a more reasonable time.. say around March or April instead of July like last year!! DCembassy told me notification is in July regardless of what time we turn it in....... but still hoping!!

@vkim67

Applied early this year so hoping to get the award notification earlier this year!! at a more reasonable time.. say around March or April instead of July like last year!! DCembassy told me notification is in July regardless of what time we turn it in....... but still hoping!!

I'm pretty certain for Americans, the date we hand in our applications is irrelevant to when you get the results back. For those choosing between haste and quality of application, I would error on the side of quality, but be sure to get your application in before March 30th.

@vkim67, I attached the prescription paper used by my doctor to request some test that need to be done (it contains her name, clinic address, name of the hospital, and contact number) to me with my medical examination form. I attached it just in case they look for it.

@Kayro - Do you have any idea if those documents you attached are from this year? I spoke with the representative in DC about sending in my application and he specifically told me not to send them to the address on that document but to 2600 TILDEN ST. which is the physical address of the education office?

Also, I inquired as to the deadline as well whether March 20th was the US or overall deadline and all I got back was, "今年的期限1月20日至3月20日"....

Also, to other americans, did you get a special notarization on your transcript?? I just requested an official transcript and an official enrollment verification form (because I won't have my diploma for another 6 months).

@bjopek22

I received the documents yesterday from the DC embassy, and the dates in the documents reflect 2011 deadlines. Who was your contact in the DC Embassy office?

@Helios

The below is pasted from the attached docs that i had received and attached in my previous post:

"The above documents should be forwarded to CSC by March 30th, 2011 via either the Chinese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s home country or the embassy of the applicant’s home country in China. Individual applications are not accepted by CSC. "

Also, I got an email this morning from the DC Embassy confirming the below (cut and paste):

"the documents should be forwarded the embassy by March 15th, 2011 with word: "CSC APPLICATION" on the envelope."

If anybody has heard anything different from DC, please share...

Also, to other Americans, did you get a special notarization on your transcript?? I just requested an official transcript and an official enrollment verification form (because I won't have my diploma for another 6 months).

Last year, I got my transcript notarized. This year, Since I was applying from abroad I asked if an official transcript instead of a notarized one was OK and she said yes. Note that it was the woman in charge of the program at DC last year who answered my question.

If you don't have your college diploma, I believe you are supposed to provide a notarized copy of your high school diploma. If I remember correctly I think I was told this by both extrapages as well as the woman from the embassy last year. If you're saying saying you don't have your HS diploma yet..... then unless your middle school also gives diplomas (which I doubt) then it looks like a verification form is the next best thing. Confirm with the embassy since it looks like DC is doing a fairly good job of responding.

For those choosing between haste and quality of application, I would error on the side of quality, but be sure to get your application in before March 30th.

Early doesn't mean quality has to be lower. and I want to repeat that wanting an earlier notification is just a piece of hope I am clinging to, considering it directly contradicts what the embassy told me.

@kayro

Thanks for following up with the DC embassy. I think it's safe to say that the embassy's deadline this year is March 15th, 2011, which is half a month earlier than last year.

For all those keeping count, that gives you 47 days from January 27th to get everything done, which is enough. Get your physical exams and notarized documents now, as they take the longest to obtain.

I've been corresponding with Liu Xiang at the DC office. Is that who you've been speaking with?

Also, I just heard back from him and he said that since my transcripts were official university transcripts it was not an issue. Also, I am sending an enrollment varification form.

Has anyone got an impression of just how important the A4 paper really is? It's just such a pain to get it in the USA and our paper is so close in size. I guess it may not warrant the risk to not send it.

@Helios

Where did you hear that the application needs to be on American A4 paper? I think I printed most of my application in China and my physical is on larger paper than anything else.

does anyone know if the csc scholarship model supports postgraduate programs such as mba as well?

You may apply for master's or PHD studies. The online application shows a master's degree in business administration.

@bjopek22

Yes, that's the same dude that wrote me back...

Also, we use A4 here in Japan, which is only slightly bigger than Letter size. Letter size isn't available in Japan, so standard size is A4. I would assume this is the same for the rest of Asia? Don't think it's a big deal.

@Brian US

I think you misread my statement, because there's no such thing as "American" A4 paper. A4 is an international standard used in most parts of the world (Asia and Europe, for example). Here's what I said:

Also, for those who need A4 paper (in the US we use "US Letter" sized paper, which is not the same), it is somewhat difficult to find in stores, and I would recommend you obtain some before you need to print your application documents. Amazon and Office Max online have some A4 available to order.

US Letter is used primarily in Canada, the US, and Mexico, whereas A4 is used almost everywhere else.

The documents you printed in China were most certainly on A4 paper; hence, you did not need to worry about it. For those in North America, they might want to get A4 paper for their applications.

Is it important? Who knows, but the third page of the application form requests A4 paper, and I would give it to them unless someone at the embassy specifically says it does not matter. I'm pretty sure the CSC is trying to keep everyone's applications at a standard size for mailing and distribution purposes.

@kayro

The paper in Japan should be fine. It's only North America that doesn't play well with others (see inches, pounds, US Letter, etc).

Hey

I would like to apply for a scholarship this year but... as of yet I can't speak a word of chinese (I used to learn japanese for awhile and I'm gonna learn chinese soon) and I wonder if for a start should I apply for the chinese language course?

I would like to study at BLCU but I'm not sure if I cope with everything there. Do they organise lanugage courses too?

Take care!