Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

thanks guys for clarifying  :D I'll just intend to work part time (like less than 20 hours a week), will it be considered the same? I have worked as a language tutor and a student assistant in our university, all part time. Is that okay in China?  and I might go to Korea this October (thus, will be leaving from China and go back to China after a week in Korea). is a regular student visa eligible for that? Thanks guys :)

@ Agata_K

Did you get accepted in the EU Window Scholarship? If yes, then we don't get any other notification of acceptance, except for our name list at the website of the Mission of P.R. China to the EU, www.chinamission.be . Therefore, if you saw your name in the list, it means you are 100% accepted and have nothing to worry about!! :D CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D :D :clap

Of course you cannot apply for a visa without having received your admission package first from Brussels. So, if you just want to know in which university you have been admitted in order to book air tickets (since the package may take a week to get to you), you have no better choice than telephone to Mr. Chen Gong and ask him! :P

Hope I helped you! Feel free to ask anything else you want!

jobm, it depends which kind of student visa you will get. In my case, I still can't go outside China and come back, if so I need to apply again.

Language tutor maybe don't have problem, just take care, because anyway it's illegal..

@LinYouLe

No i haven't submitted a pre-admission letter, they didn't ask for that when I applied at the embassy, I've also applied for a master degree and they told me i got accepted, still waiting for the documents.

what about you ? have you got any news from the embassy or university ??

amb62

My situation is the same as yours. At the beginning I was a little bit afraid because when I called Fudan directly, they told me if I haven't applied through Fudan Chinese Gov. Scholarship probably I didnt get accepted. I have a recommendation letter wrote by a Fudan's professor and she told me she ask the teacher in Fudan responsible for scholarships and that teacher said I was accepted by Fudan, but she can't give more information about because I applied through embassy.

The staff in Fudan is very bad, they don't answer your questions and sometimes are very rude, if I don't have my advisor help probably I'd very nervous now haha

Where are you from?

Jobm - Yup. I enter/exit all the time with the residence permit. Please understand there is a difference between a student visa and a residence permit. If you are going to stay in China for a year, you will obtain a residence permit (which you will apply for when you get to China).

Lin You Le - A visa is different from a residence permit.  Visas have restrictions that do not permit you to enter/exit as often as you like.  Residence permits do give you that freedom.  I did that this year, and I have done that all the time when I was in China.

Lin You Le & Tianlongprc - the intention is to get a student visa by the time you enter China and then convert it to a residence permit.  This residence permit gives you all the freedom you need to enter/exit China.  I'm sure this is the same for everyone, doesn't matter which country you're from.

The new law allows students to get a part-time job in China.  You guys are aware that residence permits are issued to students, not visas right?

Also, those that were deported (and there are so many) are those actually working - full-time - and they are using student visas and permits but not even attending school at all. I don't think Jobm had this intention, his intention is to study full-time and just get a part-time job.  This is something anyone can do.

What's illegal is working full time, on a student permit.

1) What is your native country? U.K
2) Where did you apply? The Brussels Embassy
3) When did you apply? April 25th
4) When was the deadline? May 5th
5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.
6) What program did you apply for? Chinese language student for 1 year
7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Tianjin Univeristy 2. Tianjin Polytechnic 3. Xi'an JT
8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes
9) What agency number did you use? TJU's agency number
10) Where did you get your physical done? Doctor’s office at home- no bloodwork or  chest xrays though
11) Did you get your documents notarized? Ye

And the results!

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes!! 1) What is your native country? U.S.
2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.
3) When did you apply? Mid-February 2014
4) When was the deadline? April 30th
5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.
6) What program did you apply for? Chinese language student for 1 year
7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Yunnan Normal University 2. Qindao University 3. Fujian Normal University
8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Nope
9) What agency number did you use? Chinese Embassy in DC 
10) Where did you get your physical done? Doctor’s office at home
11) Did you get your documents notarized? Nope, but my university transcript was officially sealed   

And the results!

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? YEEEA
13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? Yes
14) How were you notified? Website
15) When were you accepted/rejected? 11th July

16) What school and program were you accepted to?  TJU Chinese Language Program

anyone going to Tianjin hit me up! robertjqpatterson@gmail.com

@ shuoshuo

Under the new rules, a person with a residence certificate for study who wants to take a part-time job or internship off campus should obtain approval from the school, then apply to the PSB Exit-Entry Administration for a notation to the residence certificate showing the part-time job or the location and period of internship off campus. (State Council regs, art. 22). Notice that short-term students with X2 visas do not have such opportunities.

The law delegates to the Ministry of Education the obligation to establish a framework for foreign students to obtain work authorization. (EEAL, art. 42.). As of May 1, 2014, the national framework has not been published. Shanghai has issued interim rules that allow for off-campus practical training without pay (except for reimbursement of travel and meal expenses). Yet in many cities it’s not yet possible to apply for authorization for a part-time job or internship, except on an ad-hoc basis.

It’s illegal for foreign students to work without authorization or beyond the scope authorized. (EEAL, art. 43(3).)

In contrast, under former rules, “work-study” was allowed in accordance with the school’s regulations. (Rules on Foreign Student Enrollment in Institutions of Higher Education, promulgated Jan. 31, 2000, by the Ministries of Education, Foreign Affairs, and Public Security, art. 36).

Source

http://lawandborder.com/faq-new-china-visa-law/#14_What_work_authorization_and_internship_opportunities_are_available_to_foreign_students_with_residence_certificates_for_study

@ Song Hu

Thank you for your reply! You've put my mind at ease a little :D I will try to contact Mr Chen Gong tomorrow and and let the hunt for plane tickets begin!

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who applied to either Nanjing University or Nanjing Normal University? Those were my first two picks and it would be nice to meet someone going the same way :)

@ shuoshuo

It's very nice that you mentioned about the residence permit, Shuoshuo.

I would also like to remind to all the scholarship recipients, whose scholarship duration is longer than 6 months, that they have to convert their visa into a residence permit at the local police station in China, after they get their health verification from the local health quarantine office and within 30 days upon their arrival in China!

Please DO NOT forget that, since you may face problems afterwards!! :shock:

@shuoshuo Thank you very much. Yes, I only would like to work part time because I need more money than the stipend (my parents could not support me financially) and i think having a part time job could make me practice my Puatonghua skills outside the university. It's getting more confusing but nevertheless, if it's illegal to work even part time, I won't even do it and just be contented with my stipend. :(

Or, if I could find a part-time job in the campus, it is okay for me. But, I doubt if there is for foreign students.

@jobm

I was in China when it was illegal to engage in any form of work. It was a full scholarship, tuition, accommodation, internet, water free of charge. Electricity was also free but we had to pay if we used beyond a monthly allocation. We were getting a stipend of 1700 RMB (Masters student stipend) which was about $250 at that time. I have to say this amount was sufficient, I never cooked and due to bad timings of campus canteens, I used to eat from local restaurants outside campus everyday which were a little expensive compared to the former. I had colleagues who never patronised restaurants, but used to cook and they claim it was way cheaper than eating out. What I am trying to say is that if you're on full scholarship, one can survive on the stipend without an extra income. Life in China is generally cheap, and I am sure that's still the case even now.

I always laugh when I recall how the woman working as a receptionist in our dormitory, would frown at us because to her the 1700 RMB that we were getting was a lot of money compared to her monthly salary of 600 RMB

Jobm - You mentioned that you will be in China for a year.  You will obtain the residence permit and not the short term visa.  The residence permit will allow you to leave the country whenever you want to.  I've done it, my friends from different countries have done it.  I don't know why the posters above have said this is not possible, because I know the residence permit allows holders to enter and exit whenever they wish.

As for the part time job thing: if you need extra money, get a part time job.  Those who get deported are usually people who use student residence permit just so they can stay in China and work for a company that refuses to give them a residence permit. So they're going to the office every day, but they carry a student visa or residence permit. You really don't want to do that.

If you are working when you are supposed to be in class, this is definitely not encouraged and there is some risk involved.

But what I mean by part-time job is: e.g. tutoring someone English or Math after class (this pays up to 200 RMB or so, per hour in Shanghai and Beijing), standing in as an extra for a film, DJ gigs at clubs, coaching kids sports during weekends. I assume this is also what you meant by part-time job? Tell me who actually doesn't do that in China?

Perhaps it is an absolute coincidence that everyone in this forum are students without part-time jobs.  Because in all the years I was in China, almost every single student I met did some form of odd job for extra cash.  If there were students who didn't work at all, they're those who carried around mummy or daddy's credit card and could withdraw extra cash at any time.

Maybe Shanghai is just full or hard workers or rule breakers. One or the other.

I don't know what others mean by on-campus jobs in China.  I had one friend who was responsible for opening and locking up the computer room door everyday and she told me it was a "job" for extra money.  If anything, she earned a few hundred kuai a month...but that's a generous estimation.

shuoshuo

I live in Shanghai also, and my classmates who had problem about job without authorization studied in 华东师范大学. You can have part-time job if you have authorization from school, if not it's illegal. You can say you, your friends, your classmates etc, all had worked in China and never had any problem about it, but  as far as I know it's illegal. I think the key is where, when and with who you want to work.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, if you want to have a job without school authorization just take care.

@shuoshuo Yes, you're true. But, I might need the residence permit within two-three weeks in China because I might be flying to Korea on the first week of October for a study tour. Sigh, I really hope I will get the residence permit within that time or else, I might not be able to go to Korea :(

But what I mean by part-time job is: e.g. tutoring someone English or Math after class (this pays up to 200 RMB or so, per hour in Shanghai and Beijing), standing in as an extra for a film, DJ gigs at clubs, coaching kids sports during weekends. I assume this is also what you meant by part-time job? Tell me who actually doesn't do that in China?

Yup that is what I meant, tutoring or being a student assistant in an office is okay for me :D I also do part time work here in our country. by the time I arrive in China, I will also ask the university how could I get a part-time job and the legalities behind it. 

• New Members

Can someone please help me with this? I've just received a reply from Mr Chen Gong about which university has accepted me. I've applied for a linguistic speciality, but I said in my application that I need prior Chinese classes lasting one year, starting this September. Now I see in the 'speciality' part of the chart that I have the full name of my speciality instead of "汉语言" (like some people have). What does that mean? Will I have those Chinese classes?

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but it's my first time applying and I'm full of worries ^^'