Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

Well hell...

I was nominated by the school, but not on the list. I'm devastated, I thought I had a really strong application. No one from my country (the US) or with my major is on that list either. Oh well, at least I don't have to wait anymore.

• New Members

@David Ma

Yeah I thought it still is quite lucky. Thanks for the budget information.

Anyway about that dorm room, admissions office told me I need to find myself a room off-campus. So I gotta find myself somehow a room, any tips on that?

洋人丹

Did you apply directly or through an embassy? Maybe try contacting the school directly before losing hope.

Did you have any contact at the university that specifically supported your application or recommended you?

@Bjnsharp

I went through the university, have already been accepted. Have a professor there who wrote me a letter of rec and said she would be my adviser. 

I got nominated by the school, but my name isn't on the list. 

I noticed that there are no Americans on the list, and there were no Americans on the list last year. The school has another scholarship that it gives to just Americans. It's not the one I applied to, but maybe my name will be on that list. It hasn't come out yet, not sure when it will/if it will. 

Hopefully it works out for you! Fudan is a reaaaaallyyyyy good school so I bet it's pretty competitive. Since I'm only going for language (so school prestige isn't really relevant) I went for a smaller, more local school.. hoping there would be less competition. I don't think for language studies it matters so much where you go.. if you put in the effort, anyway.

Also I will be no one speaks English compared to Shanghai.. When I was in Shanghai EVERYONE spoke English lolol ... enablers. XD

EDIT: wait.. did you apply for post-graduate 洋人丹?  Because I only see masters and doctor degrees on there.. if you applied for Bachelor's perhaps that's not on this list.

@Donglian

Applied for a masters. I've been thinking of going back to school for a long time. 

I know Fudan is competitive. Honestly I thought that the fact I got accepted and nominated for the scholarship pretty much meant I was good. I feel like I had a strong application and a well written research plan, letter of rec from a future adviser at Fudan who said the research I want to do is new and interesting, etc. but I guess  it wasn't good enough (assuming that there isn't another list). I am just curious what it was that wasn't good enough for the scholarship. 

EDIT:

So I just looked at the lists for the past few years. The special scholarship at Fudan is divided into three categories, with one for Americans. There has not been one American on the list that came out in at least 3 years. The list of American winners of the special scholarship hasn't come out yet, so I am going to hold out. Hopefully it comes out soon.

@Soulizer

I would recommend living off campus anyway, its not that much more expensive and so much more convenient and comfortable. You can visit local housing complexes and they usually have a notification board where you can find rooms or apartments to rent, also estate agents or using an online search. I can't remember the website I used first but I had a Chinese student help me out and visit with me to translate. If your Chinese language is reasonably good you could probably do it without help. 

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of living off campus on the CSC scholarship, whether it is accepted and whether they will give you a housing allowance. When I was doing the CIC scholarship we were told not to let the university know if we were living off campus. 

I'd also be interested to learn how CSC Scholarship and off-campus accommodation works. I will initially be going alone, but soon afterwards my girlfriend will join me, so it will be two of us and off-campus housing would naturally be the only way. In particular, I'm interested in information from Fudan University's perspective.

洋人丹,

My name wasn't in the list too, which is sad, but as you noted doesn't mean that we were not selected. I was analysing the results in the previous years and discovered that these published lists are not exhaustive. The two brazilians that won the scholarship in the brazilian quota in 2014 and are currently studying at Fudan doesn't appear in any of the lists of 2014, I've checked them all. So, at least for me, I'm waiting for the embassy list to be sure that I was selected or not. Still hoping for good news! cheering for you too.

Guys,

Keep in mind that this scholarship has different categories, I applied to the MOFCOM one, and my chinese teacher told me the results should be out in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else applied here to the MOFCOM one?

Hi JDF,

Are you still here at the forum? Look, I entered today in my personal cabinet of SJTU web-system, I saw there that new line had occurred - "Handle visa in advance", I clicked and was offered to pay 3000 rmb online, I got upset and wrote to our '"Graduate Office" with questions about this enormous amount of money for visa. So, I'm waiting for their reply, then I phoned to the embassy of China, they told me that visa can't cost too expensive, seemingly, SJTU wants us to pay this money if we want to get our visas in advance and by efforts of SJTU, otherwise, I suppose, we will be forced to wait more days or weeks until we get ready visas into passports. I have no any originals of documents from SJTU part, they must send them to us since 20.06., but I have received neither e-mail reply about sending documents, nor documents themselves from SJTU yet... 

@fernando

Good to know. 

Hopefully there will be lists or a notification coming out soon. I'd really just like to know one way or the other. 

Anyone know if you get an email if you don't get the scholarship? They make it clear one way or the other right?

I wish I could log into my CSC account. For some reason it says my password is incorrect (odd since it's the same one that I've always used and it's the one in my activation e-mail). I decided to say hell with it and for the system to send me a new password. Tried multiple times but Emails never arrived. So I guess I wont be logging in anymore, heh.

@aleksei

I also have the same status of "Handle visa in advance". The CSC results for SJTU are yet to be announced. Regarding June the 20th, they said they'll send documents after this date. So, we still have to wait. I've asked their office and they informed me to wait till mid of July for CSC Results. 

@ 洋人丹

There ya go!! Positive energy!!! They might have a separate list for US applicants.. I can't imagine there are many of us going to China to study a short language program let alone a full on degree program since we have great universities in our own country.. so I would think it a bit less competitive for US applicants as others have stated.

Also.. it's not a secret that the US and China are often doing things to better relations and such.. I wouldn't be surprised if US applicants are favored by CSC. When people study there, they see china is not this "Maoist dystopia" that many of our politicians (or the local ignorant idiot) make it out to be.. and that's good for China if more US citizens "understand" it as it actually is.. and knowing some of the language doesn't hurt either.

(of course that's not to say China has no flaws.. but that's a different discussion for a different thread)

But yeah, in short... stay positive until you know for sure! I'm sure you'll be ok :)

Wish you the best guys! Im also waiting for the MOFCOM results :)

I thought the government scholarship was the same as the MOFCOM one, but my teacher explained to me that they are different and we should wait a bit more.

I applied to Fudan, Zhejiang and Xian Jiaotong , for a masters in chinese culture

hope to get it!