Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

• New Members
1) What is your native country? Kenya

2) Where did you apply? Xidian University.

3) When did you apply? Early March

4) When was the deadline? April 10th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for?  Masters degree in Information and communication systems Engineering.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Xidian University 2. University of Electronic Science and Technology of China 3. Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? 10701 Xidian University

10) Where did you get your physical done? District Hospital

11) Did you get your documents notarized? Yes I had them notarized in China Last year.  

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes I was.

13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? Yes, I received admission notice from Xidian University on 26th May.

14) How were you notified? Email

15) When were you accepted/rejected? July 2nd 2015

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Xidian University 3 years program for Master degree in Information and communication systems Engineering, In English

Note:

This forum helped me a lot during the waiting period. I got so much information about the process, we have all experienced how hard the waiting is   :wall when you want something so much, days seem slow and hours are longer. 10 phone calls and 100 emails to China do not seem like they work. But this forum made it easy. Many thanks to the admins and other members. During the waiting period I got to read so much on the CSC applications and results threads, one person who really encouraged and the information she shared was very helpful (all the information I got here was helpful) but her information really helped me, since it was like she was talking straight to me was Shuoshuo, thank you for sharing your experience. May God bless you. All other members in this thread I say thank you for the support too. To those who did not receive the CSC scholarship this year I tell you do not give up :nono , try again next year, it will pay of. To those still waiting for the news and confirmation, hold on there I know what you are experiencing and it will be over real soon and Hopeful you will all get good news. To those who already got their good news like I, I say congratulations! Safe trip to China and have a good time out there. :D

• Like 2

@oogz91

I applied for 2 year language program at Anshan Normal University.. I already have a 4-year degree in Business so I felt Chinese is a good supplement.. it's a professional and personal goal as I am married to a Chinese man.

I chose the school because it's a smaller school in a smaller city and I was in contact with a Scottish dude that teaching English there.. Found him on these forums :)  REALLY nice guy!

And he told me all about the school and city and it seemed like a good fit. I didn't want to be in an "international" place like Shanghai or Beijing. Also I wanted a lower cost of living.

My contact at the school also gets back to me FAST.. like.. mostly within 24 hours.. and she's very thorough with her replies.. Other schools I looked at.. I couldn't say that. Minimal help and sparse IF ANY response. I don't like that.

I think you're right though about USA applicants having a good chance.. for political reasons and the fact that we have so many good universities here, not so many Americans go abroad for education.. also I think our brethren tend to be pretty ethnocentric.. and couldn't handle being in a foreign culture for 2 months at a time, let alone multiple years!! hahaha 'murica

For anyone that applied directly to a University and is still yet to hear then I recommend contacting the admissions office.  I emailed the officer at Sichuan University today and she informed me that I have been awarded the scholarship.  They just hadn't got round to telling anyone or putting it on their website yet!

I assume that today all other prospective Fudan students also got their first actual confirmation letter mentioning the word 'accepted'? :)

So, I will probably be at Fudan University in Shanghai for the next two years on a Chinese Government Scholarship. A little excited, a tad bit worried (I have read many negative opinions about Shanghai), but mostly happy and grateful for the opportunity.

Any other EMA Chinese Economy students?

I haven't got any e-mail so far, the wait is killing me, but I have taken the advice of all of you and am making alternative plans to travel somewhere in case I don't get the scholarship.

On my online account at Fudan I still have this msg Review by ISO

Havent got any news from Fudan either... should I write to them?

the deadline for the MOFCOM scholarship was June 15th, maybe its too early to know?  and since its a new scholarship maybe they are taking longer to decide 

EU Window Applicants: Based on publishing dates from previous years, I personally expect this years' name list of successful applicants to appear either in the next few hours, or otherwise on next Thursday or Friday.

On a side note: I know of two sources in which the name lists are published: the English [1] and Chinese [2] versions of the relevant news sections at chinamission.be. Of these two, the latter is by far the most reliable: not only did the English version once publish a list four days late (in 2011), at one year there was no list at all (2013).

[1] http://www.chinamission.be/eng/zglx/

[2] http://www.chinamission.be/chn/zogx/jyjl/zgzfjxjxm/

• Like 1

My story since July 1st. For everyone, especially those who applied through their embassies under the BILATERAL PROGRAM. 

I have been calling three parties for the past few days to get a sense of how the current application process works, and what my expectations should be in terms of the waiting time. I've got in touch with the Chinese embassy (here in the Philippines), my first choice university (Tianjin Normal U), and CSC. 

Here's what I got from them. 

1. Local Chinese embassy (through phone)- they told me to wait, and that the results would probably be released sometime between the second week and the third week of July. They also told me that the CSC would mail all documents to my indicated address. 

2. TNU (through phone and email)- they already posted my admission materials to CSC, and that I should be getting a response from the CSC really soon (as a point of reference, I called the TNU last July 6). 

--> as a side note, I would want to commend the admissions staff of TNU. They reply quickly (probably within an hour), and are very accommodating and very patient. They are also very reassuring with their infos. 

3. CSC in Beijing (through phone)- they told me to wait sometime between the second week and the third week of july as well. But as opposed to our embassy's response, they told me that they usually mail documents directly to the embassy and that the embassy would directly contact us once they received it.

I also tried fishing for some vital information about the process. When I asked what usually is the deciding factor in determining the winners/or how could I weigh my chance of getting the scholarship under the Bilateral Program, they told me that it is up to the Chinese Embassy (in our country) if they will allow me to get a scholarship... he also told me that CSC's decision would be heavily dependent on that.

What i get from this is that, there's a lot of weight (at least for the Bilateral program) in the embassy recommendations if not the deciding factor. Of course this is just based from what I got from them, as to how credible the staff I've talked to are, that is already beyond my knowledge. 

At this point of anxiety, I'm trying to become more assertive in terms of getting in touch with them about the release of the results (of course still within reason, and still in a very respectful manner). So i guess for everyone as well, it wouldn't hurt to call your respective embassies and universities. 

I hope these pieces of info are helpful, especially for those under the same situation. 

• Like 1

@Maxime

I am from the Netherlands, applied through Eu window. Are you a eu scholar recipient? Do you know eu students who got approval? thank you in advance for your reply and well... let's keep crossing fingers haha! luck to you all!

I hope next week will be the latest.. I would really like to know. I already booked my flight and bought luggage lolol.. but I will feel more at ease if I know I don't have to pay the tuition and support myself and all.  I have money saved up but it's nicer to not use it all.

BaiWang: Hi, great to have a fellow Dutch language colleague on these boards, I am from Flanders. Nice to meet you.

I applied through the EU Window, but at this point I still have no clue about the outcome. I have not seen any approved applicants so far, nor rejected applicants, in fact I suspect that nobody is getting informed before the list is actually published. Archived forum threads from previous years seem to confirm this. Even though people might get in touch with their universities of preference and ask about whether or not they got recommended to the CSC, the end decision is by the CSC and not the universities.

Which program did you apply for? I hold a master degree in computer science myself, but now I applied for a master degree in China Studies. Something entirely different. My universities of preference are Nanjing University, Shanghai University, and Zhejiang University, respectively.

I wish you and all other applicants the best.

Another Dutch person here. 

Applied through the EU Window too. Thanks for that update btw Maxime, had not realised that the Chinese version of the website would have different content too. Getting quite anxious to hear back now! Really hope I will get the scholarship of course but I find it hard to predict whether I will get it or not, I think my application is good but we can't be certain what the deciding factors are of course and if they are just a few spots for Dutch people then it might be tough! My status did change to currently checking on Laihua a while back, on the same day that other EU Window applicants reported that change on this forum too. We'll know soon enough now anyway. Good luck to everyone here and hopefully we'll get to study in China from September. 

diit: My laihua status never went beyond 'already submitted'. People keep saying that this status is not an indicator of anything, and I tend to believe it, but still, a status that never changed doesn't exactly increase my confidence in a good outcome.

Edit: correction.

diit: Yes, I have been in touch, but not regarding the status. I have contacted Cheng 'Garry' Gong (who, by the way, is exceptionally friendly and timely in his responses) regarding application procedure technicalities. To elaborate on these technicalities, I noticed conflicting guidelines regarding notarization: the guide at the Call for Application requests copies of notarized diplomas, while the CSC Application Form requests notarized copies of diplomas. These are different demands. Turns out it doesn't really matter which rule is being adhered to, so in that sense the procedure is flexible. Gary's conclusion in his response to me is somewhat reassuring for all EU Window Applicants, in that the CSC wants to 'simplify the application procedure as much as possible' (i.e., by being lenient), and in that 'the right attitude and excellent academic record' will qualify us for scholarship admittance.

But to return to your question: I did not find my eternal 'submitted' status alarming enough to reach out to anyone, in fact I believe there are several more people in the same situation as me. Que sera, sera.