Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

@Tommy

Why wont you ask them directly then?

My question: If I will get accepted for scholarship (bachelor+1year of language), will I be thrown in 5 of the universities which are allowed to get language students or to my desired university for language preparation?

found it

If your Chinese language proficiency does not meet the requirements of your host university, you must take one academic year Chinese language/preparatory courses in one of the 10 designated universities and pass the required tests before moving on to your major studies. Failure to pass the required tests will lead to the automatic termination of your scholarship.

• Like 2

Congratulations to those of you who have heard back already! Good luck on the next step (the scholarship!)! 

@Torreno: I would contact the school to make sure they have that +1 year. Not all schools appear to have language classes, in which case there doesn't seem to be much of a choice?

• Like 1

Torreno,

Yeah, it seems that it would be this: 

Instruction Language

1. Undergraduate scholarship recipients must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. They are required to take one-year preparatory courses in one of the 10 universities listed below and to pass the required test before moving on to their major studies.

Undergraduate scholarship recipients can apply for preparatory course exemption if they completed their secondary education in Chinese or have a valid HSK certificate that meets the requirements of the host university. Official documents from secondary schools or a photocopy of a valid HSK certificate must be submitted for a preparatory course exemption application. Please NOTE that HSK results are valid for only 2 years.

Entrusted by MOE, the following 10 universities offer preparatory courses to undergraduate scholarship recipients. They are Tianjin UniversityNanjing Normal UniversityShandong UniversityCentral China Normal UniversityTongji UniversityBeijing Language and Culture University, Northeast Normal University, Beijing International Studies UniversityCapital Normal University, and the University of International Business and Economics.

From http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070

That says "undergraduate" though, so I am wondering how it would be for graduate students.

On the one hand it would be nice to just go into one's host institution right away and stay put for the entire study experience. On the other hand it might be all right to spend a year at a different institution and get to know another part of China. In my opinion any of those places (Tianjin, Nanjing, Jinan, Wuhan, Shanghai, Beijing, Changchun) would be all right to spend a year in.

That website continues with the following:

2. Graduate and non-degree scholarship students can register for either the Chinese-taught program or the English-taught program if applicable. Program Search (By visitinghttp://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org) can help you find the program and university you're interested in.

Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take Chinese language courses for one to two academic years to reach the language requirements of their host universities before moving on to their major studies. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the automatic termination of scholarship. Chinese language courses will be one year for majors in Science, Engineering, Agriculture, West Medicine, Economics, Management, Legal Studies and Fine Arts, and be no more than two years for majors in Literature, History, Philosophy and Chinese Medicine.

Scholarship recipients of the English-taught programs or those with adequate Chinese language proficiency do not need to take Chinese language courses.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Edited by Chris Two Times
  • Like 1

@TommyH16 Thanks, I applied for an English taught Masters program directly to Tsinghua and then applied separately to the China Embassy in NZ for CSC scholarship. I had an interview with the admissions office of this program last week and I've got a good feeling but wish I had sent in my application earlier as I didn't have a pre-admission letter to go along with my CSC application. The staff at the Embassy was nice though and said that I can send in my pre-admission letter at a later stage when I receive it. So fingers crossed that I'll be able to get it soon!

@Sula, congratulations! Looks like you're on a sure path to the scholarship. I also applied to a Masters program at Tsinghua, the MA in Global Business Journalism, but I left it quite late and only applied in March and had my admissions interview last week. I have applied to the China Embassy in my country for CSC scholarship, so got my fingers crossed for that.

Which Masters program did you apply for?

@trocadero

I have applied for MSc in Advanced Computing. Submitted application directly to Tsinghua in December. Did not apply for CSC scholarship at that time, but the ISO emailed me in late March and told that they have nominated me for the scholarship and i have to fill in CSC form and email it to them before 28th march. Hopefully, i will get this scholarship.

When was the due date for the embassy in your country? Good luck to you, fingers crossed.

Have anyone applied to Beijing Government scholarship?

• Like 1

hey @trocadero and @Sula 

glad to see some fellow Tsinghua aspirants. I applied for an English taught program (MA in Chinese Politics, Foreign Policy, and International Relations). I applied quite early for a preadmission letter (late December 2015), and I received a pre-admission letter from them second week of March. Similar with @trocadero's case, our embassy back home was also quite generous in accommodating my pre-admission letter since I gave it to them past our country's deadline (March 5). I was also awarded an Award Letter for CGS opportunity by my embassy, some time last week. 

Now I am in the waiting game, tracking my documents making sure that they get at the right hands. I really hope I get the scholarship. 

Hello all.

I a new member in this forum. Have applied doc to the uni in Dec 2015. Got a reply from them a week ago.

Thanks for applying to Tsinghua University. We are delighted to inform you that we have nominated you as the candidate for Chinese Government Scholarship. The final result will be notified after the evaluation by China Scholarship Council and Tsinghua Scholarship Council.

Hopefully will get the scholarship to study my Masters.

Good luck to everyone who is also waiting for results.

I got different replies from Harbin Institute of Technology, first they said they will give me announcement about how much seat they will get from CSC and told me to wait the final announcement in June so i just will wait until the times comes but suddenly they sent me an email on last Friday while im working and tell me that i successfully passed the university selection with new subject email 'Harbin Institute of Technology' (i feel little bit teary while i read their email, thanks God )

before i always make communication in one subject email 'HIT-Chinese Government Scholarship' which more than 50 email communication & replies during my application period from Nov 2015-Feb 2016 (I noticed this details whether im successfully granted or not with their new subject email because i just read on their website that applicant who accepted by university will be automatically granted CGS )

But still im not sure if i will get scholarship 100%.

I still will wait final announcement thought on June. And do their instruction to refill the "online enrollment" on their university website.

Anw nice to see Tsinghua master applicant ^^, greeting from Harbin master applicant (Computer Science)

@Sula 

I think you got it for sure, since Tsinghua already "recommended" you for a scholarship spot. Besides incomplete doc materials and eligibility issues, I can't think of any reason why Tsinghua and the CSC (MOE) won't grant you the scholarship. What could possibly go wrong?

@williamcarey @sula the due date for CSC scholarship was later in my country, 1st April, so I only sent through my documents about 2 weeks ago. The the MA program at Tsinghua I went for had the last around application deadline of 20th March, I got my documents sent to Beijing a week before that. So I'm pretty late to the game... hopefully everything works out.

I agree with @williamcarey, @sula you're pretty certain to receive the Scholarship if you've been recommended by Tsinghua. I missed the deadline for Tsinghua recommended CSC scholarship for my program but hoping that I'll be able to get through with the China Embassy in my country. Going to keep busy from now until June to stop myself fixating about this. Waiting for application results is never pleasant for me but it's been really helpful to read about other applicants' experiences. Jia you everyone!

@williamcarey thanks for the kind words

Hope so, just feel nervous untill will receive official acceptance letter and CSC documents.

@Budi S

Makasi, cool to see someone from Indonesia. And fellow IT programmer. =)

Good luck with your scholarship in Harbin. Why did you choose HIT?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to bring to your attention the importance of checking with the embassy in your city of origin (in my case, Vancouver, British Columbia) about the CSC application procedures. Don't rely on everything the CSC website or the people in this forum say. Treat it as just a general overview, but do your own research. This is because the application procedures and deadlines across countries and cities can vary significantly. Also, it might not be the embassy of the home city or capital of your country, but the capital of your home city that you may need to look up for application procedures.

Because I’d not known prior that I’d to go to AVED’s website (the education division of the capital of my home city) and not the Education Office, Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in Vancouver, for the most updated CSC application instructions, I didn’t know until a few days prior to the application deadline that the deadline was Feb. 29, 2016. I thought it would be much later, in late March or early April, like the embassies in other countries. It was a very stressful period. Thank goodness my friend from back home helped me get the documents in, almost in time.

This was the link to the application procedures for my hometown: 

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studyabroad/docs/Chinese-Government-Scholarship-Application-Procedures.pdf

Note via the link above that:

- Unlike what the CSC websites and many other embassies require, I didn’t actually need to mail duplicates of everything (paid an extra $10 Canadian for 2nd copy of my official university transcript)

- Had I known I didn’t need to include a certified diploma, I wouldn’t have had to pay $16-something for express delivery ('cause the certified diploma was time-consuming to get, further delaying the mailing of all my documents)

• Like 2

ling_ling24,

I'm glad you mentioned this--very wise words indeed. Thank you for mentioning this as I wanted to write such a reminder to people sooner about this and I'm glad you took the words out of my mouth.

To the forum:

I find that more and more people are coming in with very general questions and expecting to get answers here, so I encourage you to simply read page one of this thread (my opening post) and also to do your own homework and directly contact the people who are directly connected to your situations--that's where the best answers are. Don't simply come into these forums and say "hey, what is the answer to my question here?" That certainty won't be enough for your situation. Again, please do the legwork on your own and directly contact representatives in your home country to get the specific answers that you need to fit your particular situation.

Once again, the posts here give a general overview at best. For you to get specific answers to your specific situation, please do your homework and directly contact representatives in your home countries who immediately pertain to your needs and your situation.

Continued good luck to all in the application process!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 3

Very well worded, Chris. Glad that we're both on the same page. I did notice that you wrote in the main page of this forum that we should check with the embassy of our own country, but perhaps it may need to be bolded to emphasize its importance.

Nonetheless, I'm still very thankful for this thread and you've helped us tremendously, Chris. :) Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

putonghuastudentmark

Hi all,

I have applied for 1-semester course in Chinese Language in ZheJiang university in Hangzhou.

Contrary to many people in this discussion, I have purely submitted my application online through http://ciss.chinese.cn/ScholarShipSite/FormWrite.aspx. I have included everything including the tuijianxin from my local HSK center in Sydney. As I am doing 1-semester (or 5 months) my understanding is the medical form is not required because I'm on the X1 student visa which is for less than 6 months and exempt from physical examination form.

It seems that people in this thread are applying to Bachelors degrees or longer running degrees.

Is anyone also applying for the 1-semester Chinese Language course?

I submitted on March 23rd and below is the latest status from the self service website.

申请进度:“推荐机构择优确认中”  

(translates to 'recommendation mechanism is in the confirmation process' but I am not sure exactly what this means. Does it mean someone from CSC is verifying the material submitted, or is it with the University? )

Is anyone here using this website? If so, what was your experience?

Cheers

If you get the preadmission letter from a university. ..how likely is it to be placed in that university? for example universities from C9 alliance. Has anyone been accepted or not accepted by any of this high demand universities?

Hi everyone! I'm glad that I've joined this hype train for the 2016 CSC selection process.

Fortunately for me, I have received an email telling me that my provincial government in Canada (Quebec province) has accepted to support my candidacy for the CSC process. I don't know how this may influence the outcome of the selection, but I'm glad that they are advocating for my cause. :)

Furthermore, I have applied for the CIS Scholarship for Guangxi Normal University (2016-2017) and for a master degree in China Ocean University (2017-2019). Glad to meet some people who would be chosen / interested to go study at these institutions.

Can't bear the wait game though!