Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Your situation is an interesting one.

At the very least, you will have to pay for your tuition in February 2011 as your CSC application results won't come back until this summer (should be before July 31st, 2011). Other than that, everything else is conjecture. Hopefully, someone else has experience with this situation can chime in. Perhaps, the CSC will extend your Tsinghua study period to include all of 2011-2012, rather than your current period of Feb 2011 to January 2011. Or, maybe they will assign you to another school, and you can just forfeit the other half year at Tsinghua. However, this is conjecture on my part.

Anyone have some experience with this?

• Like 1

@seven13

Maybe you can just apply for the scholarship as usual and don't mention that you are in Tsinghua. Then if you get the scholarship (presumably in another school), just forfeit the 2nd semester. Although i don't know if you can still get your money back.

@seven13

What crisgee said sounds like another strategy, which really leaves you with two strategies:

A) Submit the Tsinghua admission notice with your CSC scholarship application. Possible Outcomes: A1) Your CSC scholarship is successful and you may use it at Tsinghua; A2) Your CSC scholarship is successful, but you are assigned to another university starting next Fall (forfeit second Tsinghua semester); A3) Your CSC acpplication is denied because Tsinghua doesn't accept scholarship students (however, we don't know this to be true -- they might accept students who started their studies there and then were rewarded the scholarship).

B ) Don't submit the Tsinghua admission notice: B1) You're application will be treated as a normal application, you can list your top three schools, and hopefully, you'll get one of them.

I think option A sounds more promising, but more risky because of the A3 outcome.

@everyone

I'm currently on a one-year language study scholarship, and I want to apply for two more years of Chinese language study, take the HSK, and then apply for the CSC master's degree scholarship once I have my HSK score. My question: Am I permitted to apply for the CSC scholarship three times? Has anyone here received the scholarship more than twice? Or, do you know someone who has received the CSC scholarship more than twice?

Plan A (Three CSC Applications In-Total):

1. First Application (Completed)

One-Year Chinese Language Scholar (2010-2011)[in Progress]

2. Second Application (Apply this year)

Two-Years Chinese Language Scholar (2011-2013)

3. Third Application (Apply in 2013 with HSK score)

Two/Three-Years Master's Degree Scholar (2013-2015/2016)

Plan B (Two CSC Applications In-Total):

1. First Application (Completed)

One-Year Chinese Language Scholar (2010-2011)[in Progress]

2. Second Application (Apply this year without HSK score)

Two-Years Chinese Language Scholar (2011-2013)

Two/Three-Years Master's Degree Scholar (2013-2015/2016)

@crisgee and @Helios, it will really depend on how I will pay my tuition at Tsinghua. Because in their online application, they asked me if I will be studying there for 1 semester or for a whole year. I chose for a whole year. I am not sure if they will ask me to pay per semester when I arrive there this February or just a single payment for a whole year of studying.

I'm still waiting for the admission notice from Tsinghua.

@sama

Study Plans have been discussed in this thread (2011) and last year's thread (2010). Please use the search bar function in the top right corner of the page and search "Study Plan" in both this thread and last year's thread to find your answers.

• New Members

Hello!

Please help-csc! I am a Ghanaian, I want to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarsip but the procedure or rather the challenge is driving me crazy. I emailed the CSC through through oyf@csc.edu.cn but I had no response. I then called the CSC through 008666093977, an officer picked my call and forwarded it to a different officer. I ask about the 'Honourable' agency no for the dispatching authority in Ghana. He told me that I had to contact the Chinese Embassy in Ghana. I emailed the chinese embassy through chinaemb_gh@mfa.gov.cn, but have still not gotten any response. I then called the embassy through 00233302777073.A lady picked the call and informed me that the embassy deals only with visa applications but not scholarships. She directed me to the scholarship secretariat of Ghana. As usual, I called them(002330302662681) but as if by design they also told me there is nothing like that on their table! I almost gave up then through Google search I got to know this wonderful forum. Can someone share his success story with me! Now, should I continue to apply through this embassy ? In which other way can I apply? What is meant by 'notarized photocopy' and ' guarantor charging your case in china' as seen on the forms.

Hey sama

3. Study or Research Plan: In the previous years, they required all applicants to write something like a personal statement that was no less than 400 words (THIS IS STILL TRUE FOR EU APPLICANTS and probably for "degree" applicants), but now, you can just write in a few sentences that you would like to learn Chinese. Feel free to write a full "study plan" if you'd like - check out the archived thread for more information.

Don't think you need to write about your childhood and hobbies. Your future plans after studying in China would still be pretty much relevant though. :)

@nana

Now, should I continue to apply through this embassy ? In which other way can I apply? What is meant by 'notarized photocopy' and ' guarantor charging your case in china' as seen on the forms.

Typically, the CSC applications are handled by either a Confucius Institute in your home country, a school in your country that has relations with the CSC, or the Chinese embassy in your home country. Brian US, do you happen to have contact information for Ghana? In my American experience, the Chinese embassy handled my CSC application.

Notarized photocopies are copies of primary documents that have been verified by a notary public. Essentially, there is a third party that verifies that the primary document has been copied and no alterations have been made to the copy of the primary document. The notarized copies have equal legal weight as the primary documents.

The guarantor is kind of a weird part of the CSC application. Essentially, the guarantor is someone who lives in China. Beyond this, the guarantor doesn't really have any purpose. Just find someone who lives in China and fill in their contact information.

Hi all,

I graduated in 2009, worked for 6 months then went to Tsinghua to study Chinese for the Spring semester of 2010. I thought it would be a good experience - I had no idea! I had an amazing time!

Anyway...I've been dying to go back ever since I returned to the UK in Sept and the CSC scholarship presents a glimmer of hope! I phoned the Chinese Embassy here in the UK today. I was told that graduates who were not in further study were not eligible to apply and in any case, applications are only received by certain Universities or Confucius institutes.

I've perhaps been daft and missed an obvious mention of this somewhere, but I was under the impression that graduates who were no longer studying were eligible, so long as they were under the age of 25?

Would be very grateful for some feedback from other UK applicants, or anybody else.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian US, do you happen to have contact information for Ghana?

No, sorry.

@xiaohouzi

Pretty sure somewhere on this thread it was already debated if you could apply for a CSC scholarship post graduation in the UK. Didn't see anything new on this, so the best I can do is give you the EU contact and you can try from there.

• New Members

Hello everyone,

I've read the whole thread trying to find an answer to my question, but although some people had similar ones, I guess my case is a bit of a special one.

Here's the thing: I'm currently doing a Master at Tsinghua University, and I want to apply for the CSC next year for the second year. On the CSC website, it's written that I am not eligible for the CSC since I'm already studying n a Chinese University, but I read that a few on this forum were in Chinese Universities when they applied and that it wasn't a problem. So my question is: can I apply, and, since I'm already doing a Master, how should I do it? Is the procedure different in any way? And if I can't, is there any other type of CSC I can apply to, such as the Distinguished International Student one that I vaguely heard about?

My second question is this: if I can apply, is there any way I can do it through Tsinghua or through my embassy in China directly? Because applying to the CSC in my country is a bit different from others, apparently: to do it, I should take an exam in the Chinese embassy in my country, which I obviously cannot do since I will be in China at the time.

If any of these questions have been answered before, please let me know, and otherwise I hope one of you can help me. I keep reading different things and I'm quite confused right now?

Hi

I'm from Australia - therefore interested in applying for the scholarship in Australia. I'm a bit confused. Some of the posts back in late 2010 seemed to suggest that scholarship applications for 2011-2012 courses have already begun but the csc website says that the time for application is from Jan to April 2011. Can someone clarify this?

Also, can someone post the actual address that we need to send phsycial Australian applications to?

Thanks!

Also, can someone post the actual address that we need to send phsycial Australian applications to?

I don't have the actual address, but I can send you the contact information for Australia.

I am unable to find the agency number for Yunnan University on the given list

It's debatable on what agency number to use, but you may also try the code for the embassy you are applying to.

@ Brian US

It's debatable on what agency number to use, but you may also try the code for the embassy you are applying.

can you plz explain how we can apply the embassy! am from algeria and I plan to continue my Master, I read in CSC website that I must apply the HEIs office in Bepjing and enter the agency number of the university select, but I wrote in many website that many applicats search the agency number of thier embassies, can you explain me plz where I must send my docs?