Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Has anyone else had their account deleted on the CSC's site for online application? I filled the form out like a bit more than a month ago, but never printed the form. Went to do it today, and it said I didn't have valid login information. I recreated my account with the exact same login credentials as before, but obviously all my filled out info is gone.

i think im enjoying this thread so much more knowing that im not responsible for answering these questions.

i couldnt even if i wanted to - this seems to have changed a lot in the three/four years since i applied.

agency code. hah!

I don't think much has changed from last year, just maybe the CSC getting sloppier. I hope you are enjoying your American Chinese food like: General Tsao's, Kung Pao Chicken, Mushu Guy Pan, and dumplings filled with leftovers from the salad bar. I'll be treated to a nice authentic meal in Beijing.

Guys,

I'm preparing requirement materials now.. Such as diploma,trancript,recommendation etc.

Does anybody know?

If i aplly for several pragrams of CSC,will it be ok?I'm a bit afraid,because i've just called to CSC,and the woman said if I apply for more than one program,that will influence to each other,and i can not get any one.

Realy,need your help..plz..

you know, i really missed american chinese food while i was in china.

and now that i have it available to me, i just really miss real chinese food.

especially them crazy garlic eggplant dishes. gahhhhhhh!

RODDY, fedex me some food!

maybe i can think of a new thread that would warrant another free meal.

something along the lines of:

newbies of china, beware of:

baijiu - chinese for jet fuel

barber shops with two barber sign things out front (the swirly sign things, you know?) - they aint got not haircuttin scissors in there, honey.

kai bar in the backstreets of sanlitun is now a gay bar (so either you want to go there or you want to stay away, depends on what youre into)

no tipping in restaurants

how to recharge your electricity

how to unlock your iphone!

how to get onto facebook

etc.

unless it all already exists and im just not participating enough...

newbies of china, beware of:

baijiu - chinese for jet fuel

barber shops with two barber sign things out front (the swirly sign things, you know?) - they aint got not haircuttin scissors in there, honey.

kai bar in the backstreets of sanlitun is now a gay bar (so either you want to go there or you want to stay away, depends on what youre into)

no tipping in restaurants

how to recharge your electricity

how to unlock your iphone!

how to get onto facebook

Now that's a thread I'd like to see! :D

Especially the iPhone thing. I have yet to figure out how that will work (breaking contract with AT&T, etc). Of course, I also have yet to try to find out, too.

I registered a couple of months ago (around September last year) but when I logged in two days ago it seems that my account got terminated or what so I re-registered under the same name and password and was accepted again. I filled up the online application and downloaded the completed pdf copy.

If i aplly for several pragrams of CSC,will it be ok?

Are you referring to multiple major studies? Besides language study you should only be selecting ONE major.

@extrapages

My absolute favorite dish is garlic eggplant, but this is very hit or miss. Baijiu is also an acquired taste,男子汉!

Just an FYI about the iPhone, mentioned above. If your iPhone/iPod Touch has its hardware repaired in Chinese Apple Store, you WILL have a Chinese iPhone from that point on, including the missing YouTube app and GoogleMaps issues and other restrictions that entails (restrictions which won't disappear once you leave the P.R.C.). I'm not saying don't use one (mine's been a godsend for the dictionary alone) but its good to know, should any problems arise.

2 Brian US

Currently,i study in China University of Petroleum,and i'm fourth year student. So i'll get the bachelor degree this year,and I plan to carry on my study(Get master Degree in China)

I know, there are many programs of CSC,such as:1)CHINA/UNESCO - THE GREAT WALL FELLOWSHIP 2)STUDY IN ASIA SCHOLARSHIP3)CHINA/SHANGHAI COOPERATION ORGANIZATION SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME 4)DISTINGUISHED INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP 5)CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

And i have eligibility to apply for all of them.

However,yesterday i called to CSC(beijing office),the woman said if i aplly for several program,it would influence each other,and you might not get any scholarship.

So,Brian,what do you think about that?

@crisgee, thanks! I already finished the online application. Now I need to write the study plan. BTW, sorry for repetitively asking this question. Did you submit 2 recommendation letters and papers written/published? I'm planning to submit an executive summary of my thesis if I can still retrieve it.

Thanks again!

Recommendation letters - yup! Although some language applicants before have mentioned that they didn't and still got the scholarship. I don't want to confuse anybody, so i'm not telling you NOT to do it. Just get the recommendation letters just to be safe.

Papers published - no. I don't think it's needed for language student applicants. Only for Masters anf Ph.D :D

• Like 1

Brian,

Thanks for your response~~

You asked whether I had a definite question about successful language study applicants; if you have a friend or two who might not mind a couple questions from me, could you pass along my email address to them? I know Shanghai's universities quite well, but I only know 2-3 of the "top" Beijing universities; as I'm sure many are perfectly fine choices, I would be interested to know 5-6 that those who've already been studying in Beijing would recommend.

About the masters, have you heard of anyone either submitting 2 applications separately (ie one for Masters, one for language study), or being denied for a Masters but then offered a language study scholarship. Essentially, I really want to be in school next year; while I would prefer a Masters, I would rather play it safe and go for language study as I assume there are a lot more of these floating around...But if 2 apps are possible then...

Okay, thanks for both the answers and the time you're putting into this board. Seriously, nobody at most institutions can give a straight answer, so having you corralling everybody's past experience in one place is really helpful.

~Sebastian

Oops, sorry guys, one more question:

Brian, you've suggested sending the application to the Chinese consulate in Washington DC - Is this b/c you lived on the Atlantic Coast, so it was "your" consulate (I think I remember you said you were from Michigan??), or is it simply because this is the most put-together consulate and they actually knew about the CSC and understood what you were talking about?

I just cant figure out what the proper "dispatching authorities" would be. I'm not sure if it's the same consulate I applied for my visa (San Francisco, which is completely unresponsive to any attempts at communication) or whether it's kosher to send my stuff over to the DC consulate (as you had a good experience w/them).

~S

I know Shanghai's universities quite well, but I only know 2-3 of the "top" Beijing universities; as I'm sure many are perfectly fine choices, I would be interested to know 5-6 that those who've already been studying in Beijing would recommend.

This is not a CSC Scholarship question. The vast majority of foreign students in China are not CSC-funded. Do a search and lots of reading on the site here - not just this topic, which despite being wonderful, is only a tiny fraction of what we do. Then if you still have questions, start a new topic in the appropriate sub-forum explaining your situation, what you've learned, and what you need to know.

The same goes for the visa application process, information on accommodation, and university life in general. These are things more or less identical for all students, not just the CSC people, so the questions are better asked elsewhere.

Oh, and if you know Shanghai's universities quite well, we'd love a write-up in the Shanghai forum . . .

Roddy -

I can see your point, I didn't write my question out very fully. It's true that there are other topics devoted to language study in China. My question is for posters who are in Beijing on a CSC scholarship who might be reading this topic - I basically just want to know what schools they are at, and whether they would recommend these schools for the CSC; I guess my point is that it's easy to find information about what schools in Beijing have the "best" reputation/academic program, but I wonder if people who have won the CSC have a different take on what a good school in Beijing might be (ie the school processes CSC stipend quickly each month, or there are a lot of fellow CSC winners at the school who like it, or the school is helpful with re-applications for additional study).

About the masters, have you heard of anyone either submitting 2 applications separately (ie one for Masters, one for language study), or being denied for a Masters but then offered a language study scholarship.

If you are thinking about doing a masters then apply for this along with language study in one application. We don't know if you are more or less likely to receive the scholarship due to this decision, but that is what I did. In my case I applied for a masters and two additional years of language. I was only given one year of language training, but this might have something to do with my year spent at BLCU already.

I know one case of a student that did not reach the required HSK score the first year to start a bachelors. They were then allowed to take 1-2 semesters more language study while still on the scholarship. Not sure how this would work if you didn't pass after two years.

Brian, you've suggested sending the application to the Chinese consulate in Washington DC - Is this b/c you lived on the Atlantic Coast, so it was "your" consulate (I think I remember you said you were from Michigan??), or is it simply because this is the most put-together consulate and they actually knew about the CSC and understood what you were talking about?

I am from Michigan and I sent it to the D.C. office for those reasons. I do have contact information for the San Francisco and Houston consulates, but I think those applications are still sent to the D.C. office before heading to Beijing. There are many applicants that go through other consulates with no problem, but after seeing how the Chicago one is run I didn't want to take chances.

I'll send you the contact information for all of them.

In regards to schools, like Roddy just said, other threads will go into greater detail and be more helpful. To answer it in a nutshell, CSC scholarship students are limited to the schools on the list. In Beijing the most popular school is Beijing Language and Culture University. If a school has their own language program, it will be smaller and will probably be using BLCU books.

The stipends should be the same, but re applications may vary. I've heard sometimes Renmin University helping alter your scholarship and BLCU sometimes blowing you off. I've heard some schools get a bonus for having scholarship students and some seeing it as more of a burden. This varies so much with rumor and speculation that we haven't discussed it.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the information on this post, last year's post and the archived posts. Spent the last coupling of days going through the hundreds of posts - extremely useful. Some general questions:

1. Study Plan Length - sounds like this is quite ambiguous? Any advice on a "safe" word count? Would 1000 words be too much? (I recall Extrapages remarking she had submitted "a book" on her study plan...)

@ Brian US

2. I'd greatly appreciate if you can provide me with the U.S. contacts (including NY if available) if possible. I am from NY, but according to posts from previous years, it seems like NY is not accepting individual applications and DC would be the best place to send the app. Just wondering - has anyone spoken to the NY Consulate this year?)

1. Study Plan Length - sounds like this is quite ambiguous? Any advice on a "safe" word count?

I formatted mine like a cover letter to a job. It was maybe two or three paragraphs, so around 200 words? Whatever half a page would be.

I'll send you D.C. contact kayro, didn't even know there was a NY consulate. Looks to be six including the embassy:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm

The map clearly shows the growing influence of the Chicago consulate and their drive to the Pacific!