Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2011

Brian US

Brian,

Thanks for the great info; I started my app last night. I'll post updates on how it's going, and if I run into any interesting situations, I'll post updates here to share.

Okay, good luck to all the folks applying this year, and thanks to everyone from past years who has shared info.

• New Members

Hi everyone! Im from the Philippines. Been in China 3yrs now. I wanna ask what shall I do if I want to apply for scholarship when im here in China?

Im currently studying a bachelors degree in Xiamen University(self paid)and was hoping to get a scholarship for my masters here in XMU. Other posts I saw are for students in their own countries and contacting their respective Chinese embassy.

Is their a way I can do the application here in China without going back? please any help would be great! thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I wanna ask what shall I do if I want to apply for scholarship when im here in China?

You may still apply, but you must send your application to the Chinese embassy in the Philippines.

• New Members

Hi,

I know this has been discussed extensively in past threads but I'm still unsure about the 'foreigners physical examination form'.

I have read and heard from lots of people that their examinations from their own country have not been accepted when they get to China. My friend at BLCU (where I will be studying) says that hers was not accepted so she said just get it done in China... however, BLCU emailed me saying that I must get it in Australia.

Any tips? Should I risk arriving with nothing? Or just get it done here in Oz and do it again in China if I must?

I have read and heard from lots of people that their examinations from their own country have not been accepted when they get to China.

Edit:How do you know you will be studying at BLCU? Are you going through the CSC?

I had my physical and STD testing done in the states, but BLCU did not accept them either. As far as the CSC goes, you should still get a physical done and send it with your application. If they even look at it is up to debate, but I suggest including all required materials.

Odds are, if you are accepted, you will need to get another physical done through the enrolled university. I know it's a pain and not clear, but better go through with it just in case they decline your application over it.

@nataliew

If you're applying through the CSC, or similar program, a medical is required as a part of the application. Many universities also share this requirement if applying directly. Its likely to ensure that, when going through the immigration formalities (which require the test), students aren't sent home due to a pre-existing condition making them ineligible for Chinese residence.

Most people's problems, with the medical test, seem to happen while applying for their residence permit in China, and not during the application phase. They usually fit one of two categories: 1) The results are deemed not valid or incomplete; 2) The results are out-of-date (more than six months has passed). In both cases, you will be asked to take them again, in China, for a fee...and assuming medical issues arise you'll be fine.

In my case, I did one medical exam while applying (November), and since it would have expired by the time I started at the school (the following September) I just had a second exam before departing. During registration, a doctor took a glance at the results and stamped it as approved ^^

Hey warrenzy,

According to this link: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/website.aspx?language=en&website_id=24

you cannot apply for CSC scholarship because you are current Chinese university student, but you can apply for Distinguished International Student Scholarship.

But you can still try contacting Philippine embassy as others suggest.

Hi everyone - just a quick heads up for those sending applications to the DC Office. According to an email reply I just received, it seems like the person in charge of this person has recently changed...

@ Brain US

I've send you the updated name and tel number via PM.

• New Members

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I have been accepted for the scholarship already and am about to head off in a month - so this is for the residence permit.

In Australia we didn't have to have a health for the application - well not at my university anyway?

Cool, well I might just get my doctor to sign off on as much as possible here and then see what happens when I get there. It's just so much more expensive getting everything done in Australia!

• New Members

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum thread and getting really excited so I gave CHED a call to clarify a couple of things. A bit of bad news on the Philippine front-- just got off the phone with Ms Cora, OIC at CHED and she just informed me that they are now limiting scholarship winners to government employees. Apparently the Dept of Foreign Affairs complained that they were choosing private individuals as winners while there were a bunch of perfectly willing and able government employees who would go and were guaranteed to come back to the Phils, in contrast to regular ol citizens such as myself.

Sucks.

I need a little advise here, when I applied at Tsinghua late last year, I applied for 1 year of Chinese language schooling and got accepted (but I am not sure if I am going to pay for 1 year of tuition fee when I arrive this Feb). I am planning to apply for the CSC scholarship and based on some posts, Tsinghua does not accept CSC scholarship for Chinese language student. I also checked their website and CSC scholarship are for undergrad/masters/and Ph.D only. My problem is "what if" I got the scholarship but I am currently enrolled in Tsinghua, what will I do? It's ok for me to transfer school as long as I get the scholarship.

@seven13

I think I misread your post: I thought you had already received the CSC scholarship and had been admitted to Tsinghua.

When you applied for the CSC scholarship, did you submit the Tsinghua admission notice as part of your CSC application package?

My understanding is that if the school as already admitted you, you submit the admission form as part of the application, and the only thing that remains to be determined is IF you get the scholarship (the school has already been decided by your admission notice). However, I don't have any direct experience with this scenario.