Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2012

Brian US

Apart from applying directly with universities I also sent my application over to my Embassy. The quota for my country was 7 only and I'm guessing 200-300+ applications which is kind of .... . I doubt my application was ever looked at. In such cases consul's "special friends" come first and I know it from someone who got the CSC scholarship as a result of it in the past at some unfamous university - he was a very average applicant...

Not that you shouldn't believe in this, you should but be aware of the competition you're dealing with...

@effeeali

The OAS is the Organization of American States, its a multinational diplomatic organization based in Washington, DC.They have a program with China to provide scholarships through the CSC(essentially the same scholarship). Irvin Alberto and myself applied to the CSC scholarship through their program. They are the third party that forwards the application to the CSC instead of a chinese embassy like most of you guys.

@ Zorina - wouldn't count on it. You're just killing yourself with these thoughts. Best thing to do is pick up the phone and call, simple as. Fudan never replied to any of my emails since May when I got admitted ot the course and knew nothing about the schoalrship - I mailed about 10 times and I don't blame them. There are thousands applicants and 90% are doing exact same thing.

If it's expensive to call then call from skype, that's what I did. Less than 1USD spent and I knew everything I need... the question is, was I give right information?

@ Fakher Alam - it's basically like politics. You have connections, you get it. If you know someone who knows the consul in the Embassy then you can find ways to let him know you're applying and get someone to talk to him (Im not necessarily talking about bribes here). It's like if you could make such decision, would you give it to a friend of a friend or someone you don't know? Obviously there're boundaries there and Im not saying each case follows the same pattern but surely quite a few places are taken by those with connections, not necessarily strong applicants.

Don't give up! Positive thoughts and I'm sure something will work out!!!

I feel like Im gonna get aheart attack. Even though I was told I was admitted and got highest schoalrship somehow I have worries they might change their decision or something. I need to see this on paper! Then Im going to get very very drunk! lol

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

• New Members

Does anyone know if Sichuan University sent results yet? I doubt I got the scholarship. I haven't heard ANYTHING. I sent my application through my embassy and never heard anything from the embassy OR the universities :(

The only thing I want at this point in life is go to China to study Chinese. I don't know what I'll do with myself if I don't get this scholarship.

@ eshton - since you haven't sent out your application to the Embassy in my opinion your chances are much higher. I might be wrong but i was told by a colleague to try find a way around and not apply via Embassy which is basically hit and miss. This is why I applied directly with some universities since organizations such as Confucius Institute etc weren't helpful at all.

The problem with Embassies seems to be the first selection. They have the quota that they may marginally exceed and that's it. If you're not on that list for whatever reason I guess 1. they won't tell you and 2. this is the end of the application process.

Hope everyone on here will get it! Think positively guys!

Even though I was told I was admitted and got highest schoalrship somehow I have worries they might change their decision or something. I need to see this on paper! Then Im going to get very very drunk! lol

lol feel the same...hope everything will be ok

@ Chillin Killin - pick up the phone and call, they'll tell you.

Wish I had good news for you, I applied for MBA (in English) at Sichuan Uni since I speak 0 chinese and their reply was the most ridiculous I have ever received... (I applied directly with them and heard back around late April).

They said that this year the competition for the program was very high and all applicants had at least HSK level 5 passed. On top of that there's a high chance they won't run the MBA this year for whatever reason but for sure in 2013. They still said that the committee considered me a strong applicant and would like to offer me a "special offer" - Chinese language course for 1 year on full scholarship. I'd need to get to level 5 in a year and then start my MBA in 2013.

So I messaged back (it was one of the first offers I received from any uni) saying that this sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it, what I need to do etc.

They messaged back that I need to apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship so I looked it up online and the deadline was all long gone. When I messaged the university they were like oh, sorry about that... not much we can do here. I lost it... Absolutely ridiculous... send a complaint email and never heard back. That was to be expected though.

If I was you I'd give them a call but they should have contacted you by now I think. Maybe your Embassy didn't even bother with your application like it most likely was with my case? Not sure and I hope it's not the case. Pick up the phone and call.

• New Members

@ diste01: Thank you for your advise. So i bought skype credit today and tried to call the university, they didn´t pick up - it was probably too late and nobody was there. I will retry tomorrow. Just one question: did you speak English or Chinese on the phone? Which is better?

Well, I've been noticed by my embassy that I got the scholarship for one year Chinese language program, so it looks like it's settled (Though I'll be absolutely sure only when I see the acceptance forms! Mistakes are not unheard off). On the one hand, I'm very happy and relived, this waiting was killing me! On the other hand, the embassy said I was accepted to Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan. Obviously, I did not applied to this University and province, and it's a little disappointing.

I checked up Changsha on the Internet, and it seems like a rather dull place. And I'm not sure that Hunan Normal University is that good...

From what I read on these forums, no chance for changing schools, right?

@tamir302 Don't be dissapointed that you were not chosen by the University you want to study. The first time when I applied for the scholarship I was accepted by the University that I've never heard before (but my chinese improved a lot, I met many friends & I don't regret about not studying in a big city). I think the most important is the reason why you want to go to China- to learn Chinese? (in smaller city sometimes the chances to learn the language are bigger, as there're more Chinese and less foreigners). or to waste your time?(I'm serious as I've got some friends who after 4 years studying in China are not able to speak Chinese). So you'd have a chance to meet more Chinese friends and to have fun with them. So just be posivitive about that! (my advice:"If you can't change the situation, change your attitude to it").

Waiting is soooo hard. Frankly speaking, if any University that has got my major will accept me (even not those 3)soon, I'll be the happiest person!:) So, guys, be patient, patient, ..patient........

• Like 1

@ Zorina - I speak 0 Chinese so I guess English :) but it depends what uni as well. I was applyng to Fudan, Renmin and Sichuan - they all speak englsih and it was great. I usually call after lunch their time and I always get through to somebody.

@tamir302 - congrats mate! Hope it's gonna happen. Im not sure about Hunan, never heard but who cares. You got the scholarship and you're the lucky one! Appreciate it! :) Im sure it'll be a unique experience there! Fingers crossed.

• New Members

@diste01 - Do you have the phone number to Sichuan University? I can't find it anywhere.

That story is so ridiculous, I am really sorry to hear that. I applied to the Confucius Institute Scholarship, and never heard back.

Thank you for all your help!