Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Jenny91,

I am also from Belgium and am applying through the EU Window programme. Reading this, I feel totally discouraged. I have been gathering the required documents for some time now. I plan to study a Master degree at Sichuan University in September. I haven't sent my application yet but if there are only 45 places available out of 1000 applications, I don't feel so confident anymore.... It's infuriating because it is totally unfair. I personally find hard to tolerate 关系 in the CSC setting. The aim of the EU Window scholarship is to promote Chinese culture to all EU citizens - this means giving fair chances to all applicants. Yet, you say 75 people from Belgium have already received the scholarship!

Oh boy, stop it. Its a real world, just deal with it. Do your best and get rollin`!Myself I will need to translate two recomendation letters from english to russian and then back so my school head teacher would understand what to write, what a shame :(!  

Also, does anyone have an example of study plan for bachelor / language courses? How many words should it be? Thank you all

Also, it specifically says on the EU Window programme website:

11. Can I apply to the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in my country for "EU Window" scholarship?

NO. You can only apply to our office (Mission of P.R. China to the EU in Brussels) for "EU Window" Scholarship.

Hey, aymen!

I am applying to EU Window too, and I felt very dissappointed after Jenny91 post. I noticed that the number of scholarship actuallydeclines every year.

I won one year language courses scholarship in 2014 and the number of place in 2014 was 160, this year it is 147.In 2013 the number was 198!But I think it is essential that the funding is decling annually. 

I hope that there are still chances for winning the scholarship no matter 关系. 

Let's not hit the panic button just yet after Jenny91's posting. To be the bearer of such a message, I do believe that it is her responsibility to post further and follow up such a message with evidence that can justify such words. At the moment, no such justification of those words has been produced.

Jenny91, it is highly appreciated that you follow up your initial posting with further evidence to justify your words; otherwise, I can only classify your initial posting as hearsay and rumor.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Given that Jenny's post was shortly followed by three emails requesting I delete it as her teacher didn't want it posted, and her changing to an anonymous email address, I think it's probably true.

Anyone know which university this might be?

What exactly does 'submit docs in duplicate' mean?

Is it two originals OR one original and photocopy?

charis,

Would it be possible for you to include two originals for as many of the elements as possible, i.e., transcripts? Looking at the China Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program website, it does indicate which elements could be photocopies:

VI Application Documents(in duplicate)

1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (written in Chinese or English);

2. Notarized highest diploma (photocopy);

Prospective diploma recipients must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

3. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);

Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);

This should be a minimum of 200 words for undergraduate students, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for graduate students.

5. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);

Applicants for the graduate programs or the senior scholar programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor.

6. A CD of your own works (only required for arts students);

Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own musical works. Applicants for the fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.

7. Valid documents of your legal guardians in China (only required for applicants under the age of 18);

8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy), (written in English, only required for applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months, can be downloaded fromhttp://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org); The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.

9. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university (if available);

10. The copy of HSK Certificate (if available).

All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.10.

You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.

No application documents will be returned.

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=3157

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

1) Will I need to submit an Admission Letter from OUC in my scholarship application package (since I'm a current non-degree Chinese language student at OUC)?

2) I won't need to submit a Foreigner Physical Examination Form unless I receive the scholarship, correct? I've done the foreigners' physical exam in Qingdao in March 2015 for my Chinese language studies. Would I have to do it again if I receive the scholarship?

3) Do I need to write a study plan if I'm applying as a non-degree language student? If so, is it 500 words? I think you wrote here that I don't need to as a non-degree student, but in the 2015 application instructions (the "most up to date" info I can find), it says "A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)"  Source: http://www.eduembca..../info114611.htm

ling_ling24,

I am under the impression that you would need to submit #2 and #3 above, but not necessarily #1 as a language student applicant for a non-degree program. If you could get your hands on #1 though, that would be a nice bonus.

As for the study plan, I am just going to write in about 500 words, why I am interested in studying Chinese for a year, what I will do with such an opportunity while I am at whatever university and in China, and then ultimately, how can I use this for my future plans.

Good luck with it all!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Guys, do you think we have more chances of being accepted for the CSC if we apply directly through our desired school?

I've just received this email from SU:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in Sichuan University.

Does your application through our school? Or embassy or consulate? If you apply for the CSC through our school, you don't need the pre-acceptance letter.

Ms.Zhou

How does it work for quotas then, regarding EU students for example?

Hi aymen,

I would call and find out if at all possible. I called ZheDa and found the person super helpful. He said that I could apply straight to him and he'd help me with the CSC, but that was only for a specific program, not the entire school. He said that I wouldn't find the same kind of help outside of his program since other departments weren't oriented towards laowai and wouldn't know about the CSC process.

• Like 1

Also make sure you ask for a teacher! I called Xiamen and I couldn't get through to a teacher and the people answering the phone just read to me off the website (which I had already read and had nothing to do with my question)

ling_ling24,

I'm not sure how useful / helpful the following may be, but in regards to writing a Study Plan:

9. How to write a Study Plan or Research Proposal?

A Study Plan or Research Proposal states in details what you are going to do with the scholarship in China. It must include such information as the major you want to study in or the field of your research interest. It is of vital importance for those applicants for the graduate studies or senior scholar programs, so please make sure your study plan or research proposal states those information as specific as possible.

From http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/newsdetailen.aspx?cid=66&id=3074

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the Study Plan too much as a language student in a non-degree program candidate, just do that--in about 500 words...for the upcoming year...plan yer study!

8)

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times