Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Yeah, the wait is killing all of us... I am the crazy girl who already bought her ticket, and I am still nervous.

I do not know exactly how it works, but if you apply directly to the University, you are applying to what is called the Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program, or 中国高校自主招生项目, which means something like "Chinese University Independent/Autonomous Recruitment Program". According to different sources, and I am not assuring anything since I am not certain myself, it is the University who decides who they take and who they don't. They review the application according to CSC guidelines and according to the number of seats they get from CSC every year, they select the students they want to enroll with a CSC scholarship. They then send this list to CSC, only for their final approval.

As read below (found on the CSC PAGE), in point 2 they mention that the nominated candidates will get the scholarships with the approval of CSC, on point 4 it states that what CSC does with the list provided by the Unversity is just review the eligibility and qualifications (in case the University missed something, I guess), and if everything is ok, they will send the admission documents for the sudents on that list to the university.
I believe, after some research and comments from previous applicants, that after the University confirms your admission into the school and program of choice, and they tell you you are on that famous list, your chances to get in are almost certain. The thing is, CSC reviews and approves the applications, because there will be students who get recommendations from more than one university (if they applied to more than one, and more than one accepted them), and CSC has to decide which university to place the student at (mostly it is the first one that sends their application in), and obviously reject the application from the other university(ies).

So, as far as I understand, as long as you don't have any issues with eligibility and qualifications, and as long as your university has confirmed your acceptance, you should not worry too much about the final CSC approval. It is only a matter of procedure.
(Only for those applying directly to the University).

1. University reviews the application documents and decides the nominated candidates.

2. Nominated candidates will get Chinese Government Scholarships to study in China with approval of the CSC.

3. CSC reserves the rights to decide the host university for scholarship recipients with multiple offers. Each scholarship recipient—even when admitted by multiple universities—will be granted no more than one scholarship.

4. The CSC reviews eligibility and qualifications of nominated candidates, approves the List of Scholarship Recipients, and sends the admission documents to universities before June 30th. University sends the admission documents (List of Scholarship Recipients, Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201)) to scholarship recipients

5. Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.

6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.

I don't want to raise expectations, since I know this is not something completely confirmed, but if there is someone out there who, like me, needs to make a decision or some kind of hint to make up their minds, maybe the piece of information helps...

I wish everybody all the best, and maybe see you in China?

I didn't apply with the University unfortunately. When I asked for a PL the Uni told me that I should put their agency number in the CSC form (I wasn't sure about this point so I asked them in the e-mail). I also asked my chinese embassy who told me I should put the embassy's agency number.  So I did that, I sent the CSC form (with the embassy agency #) along with some other documents to the Uni who then provided me with the Pre-Admission letter. Actually at that time I didn't know you could apply easily directly with a Chinese Uni. I thought It was only for specific programs. I had only heard about ppl applying with the embassy so that's why I got confused.

Now I don't know my chances to get the scolarship, I "only" applied to a 1 year chinese programme, and I could provide two letters of recommandations from associate professors even if it wasn't required. Also I think that the PL can increase my chances. But I still have doubts, since we don't know on what criteria students are selected. I sent the docs to my embassy who recommended them to the CSC, but I don't know if it means that my documents are receivable and that I'm likely to be accepted. Places are alloted according to CSC's quotas per country, right ? But is it also the case if you apply directly with a Chinese Uni ? I mean, are the quotas fixed by the Uni, the embassy or the CSC ?

@Lolo,

actually the CHINESE UNIVERSITY PROGRAM only applies for postgraduate programs (Masters or Doctorate), so you did the right thing applying through the Embassy I think.

I believe that for Embassy applications there is a quota per country determined by CSC, and they will accept a certain number of applicants from every Embassy around the Globe.

As for the University Program, I believe the CSC allots each University with a certain number of seats (for example, 60). And then the university selects among their applicants a number near the quota (for example, 65), in case some student gets the scholarship for another university, or is disqualified due to multiple applications, etc. CSC will just review the applications submitted for those students (65 in my example), and in case none of them was selected by another university and all are OK with their eligibility, then they will just approve the 60 first names on the list, and the last 5 will be dropped out...

As for the Embassy, don't knwo how the selection process works.... but good luck!

@I.carranza @Lolo

I hear you. Even though I have procured both an Award Letter from the Chinese Embassy in my home country and a Pre-admissions Letter from a university (albeit NOT from one of my top three desired universities listed on my initial online CSC application), I am not going to get my hopes up too soon; I'd like to have some sort of official notification in my hand first. I keep an amount of healthy skepticism as well, even if "the chances are 99%"...haha, there's still that 1%!

June and July will come soon enough and then we can deal with whatever news comes our way. I do my best to remain patient with it all and I try to keep my mind off of it in the meantime.

@I.carranza

All of that overtime may slowly be killing you, so I hope it all works out for you in the end--time for you to rejuvenate. Go get your study on and reclaim your soul!

@Lolo

I am in a similar position: I have also "only" applied for one year of Chinese language study in a non-degree program. Like you, even though it wasn't required, I submitted one letter of recommendation from a Chinese professor at the university where I got the Pre-admissions Letter from. I hope it helps!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Meanwhile, airplane tickets are getting more expensive! Hurry up CSC!!!

Haha! If I were into conspiracy theories, I would say that the CSC is in cahoots with the airplane ticket cartel.

AIRPLANE TICKET CARTEL: "Keep 'em waitin' so they have to buy overpriced airplane tickets at the last minute."

CSC: "Sounds good! We'll help you out in forcing these poor students to shovel their wheelbarrows of hard-earned shekels your way, so you can then help us out and give us a cut!"

[HAND SHAKING ALL AROUND THE SECRET CSC-AIRPLANE TICKET CARTEL MEETING ROOM]

Or something like that.

8)

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 2

AIRPLANE TICKET CARTEL: "Keep 'em waitin' so they have to buy overpriced airplane tickets at the last minute."

CSC: "Sounds good! We'll help you out in forcing these poor students to shovel their wheelbarrows of hard-earned shekels your way, so you can then help us out and give us a cut!"

[HAND SHAKING ALL AROUND THE SECRET CSC-AIRPLANE TICKET CARTEL MEETING ROOM]

Chris Two Times, you made my day. 

But seriously, air tickets prices increase 200% with summer vacations...have to bleed for that air tickets

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I know you all will do great, so try and keep the worrying to a minimum!

I have a quick question. If I received a pre-admission letter after receiving the scholarship (I did not apply directly to any schools beforehand), do I need to send it to my local embassy to update them or just wait until June? 

Thanks.

Guys,am happy to be part of this forum ( am a JJC) and I have alot of questions to ask.

I applied for MSC in bioinformatics ( in university of science and technology of china JinZhai Road Baohe District,Hefei, Anhui) under CSC-USTC scholarship. I checked the school portal, they are on the third stage( which i have passed all) remaining two stages( final review by school selection committee and by CSC), I hope am still on the track like everyone here?.

What's it about pre-admission letter ( I geuss that's for those applying through the embassy, am I right? I couldn't go through all the previous post. Help me with an answer).

Is there any African in the house?

Nigerian?

Please, I need ans, ans, ans...

@ igzhbt

Sure, we are everywhere. The good people of Nigeria are everywhere! When I began reading your post and saw 'JJC', I immediately thought you could be a Nigerian since I am not aware of any other part of the world that uses that term.

Yes you are most likely still on track. I say most likely because from my understanding of the processes, the time for school decision should be over by now. All agencies (Chinese University, local Chinese embassy in one's country or academic organisation) should have made their decision by 30th April of every year. 

They submit a list and substitute list to CSC for final approval based on the quota given to them. CSC makes a decision at around June or July and forwards approved candidates list alongside Visa application documents to the agency. The agency contacts the candidate and the candidate gets plane ticket and reports at the designated school on the date that will be found on the admission letter.

Some schools normally publish the names that they have recommended to CSC while others do not. The school I applied to does not publish their recommendation list. They publish after CSC has made their decision.

However, I called the admission office and somebody confirmed to me that my name has been forwarded to CSC as a recommended candidate.

Another way to find out if your agency (Embassy or University) has recommended you is by checking your status on the CSC application platform http://laihua.csc.edu.cn/. If it says 'The application form is currently checkin' then you know that your documents have been sent to them by the agency for final decision.

By the way, where are you in Nigeria?

Cheers and good luck.

• Like 1

I'm applying for the EU Window scholarship and my status has changed to "checking"!

I know many people think it is not so important, but can somebody explain me what exaclty it means? I read something about it but I can't remember...

Another one for "checking" here!

I didn't want to get into that game of looking back at the CSC application website, but I thought "just this once" and logged in and checked. I was pleased to see my status as "checking".

Haha, and then I logged back in a second time just to check if it was still at "checking".  :lol:

Yeah, in past years, there were different interpretations as to what it really meant when one's status changed to "checking". I am going to go with Cantabile's response and presume it is a promising sign this year.

WOW! It's already May 15th. In half a month it will June and then we will be close to getting answers. Patience, my friends, patience.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

@samrat: What do you mean by "really long time"? How many weeks are we talking here?

My guess is that the application has been moved on and is being looked at by...somebody...somewhere.

I know, I know, that's not really helpful. I guess this status change is simply a straw of hope for us to grasp onto. What it really means is anyone's guess.

I'm not sure that the status will change again. In past years I believe that it changed once to "The application form is currently checking" and then it's left at that.

Would anyone like to call an Embassy and/or CSC to attempt to get some clarity on this status change conundrum?

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Hmmm, so seeing a lot of people saying their status has been changed to "checking"... I sort of panicked that my status is still only just "submitted". So I emailed my country's embassy to ask about this and they replied to say they still haven't gone through NZ's applications yet, which is why it's still "submitted". :-? resisting my very strong urge to say... CAN YOU PLEASE HURRY UP!!! But gotta stay pleasant  :lol:

• Like 1