Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Well I applied for a Confucius Institute scholarship so I suppose the process is different from the CSC application. I know it is not the right forum for my type of application but what I am interested in is how quickly ECNU review applications. That is why I am looking to hear from someone currently applying to ECNU via CSC and willing to share his experience.

Why does everyone keeps mentioning that applying with the university almost guarantees you the scolarship ?

And nothing of the kind is said about the embassy application process? Why did I even apply with the embassy.

edit: actually from what I've read on the preivious years topics your chances to get the scolarship are also very good if your application gets recommended by the embassy. But it's still sometimes unnerving to hear so many people say they're successful with their uni csc application while the embassy squad stays silent until july...

@Lolo

People who applied straight to the universities are probably getting new info because they cut off the middle man. They already got into the university so the CSC knows they have somewhere to go. People like me, who applied to the CSC through the embassy/consulate have to wait longer. Probably because after our info goes through the CSC we have to wait to be admitted by one of our selected schools (which is probably the longest part of the process). 

People are staying silent because there is nothing new to report. The thread will probably go crazy come late next month though! 

• Like 1

Cantabille is absolutely right 

There is no straightforward answer on where is it easier to apply for the CSC Government scholarship. It depends on your situation. For instance, in my case, it is easier to apply via the embassy and win the scholarship simply because there are only few people in our country applying for it (around 10, where 4 to 5 will be chosen as candidates). Now compare this to Tsinghua, surely there are a lot of brilliant students applying for that Uni's scholarship slots. So I would be better off if I apply through my embassy where the competition is less intense. It all depends on the competitiveness of the scholarship applications, which is different for every candidate (taking into consideration your nationality, and your uni choices). 

As for the timing, Cantabille is right. This is also stated in the CSC website (on the tabs explaining the various scholarship kinds). Chinese University program scholarship (aka those who applied through unis) will get news earlier, June, simply because the process is much simpler and more straightforward, it does not need to go through the embassy's approval. The institution granting the award letter and the admission letter is the same. But this does not mean that it is easier to apply via the uni (just because they get news faster). It simply means that the process is much simpler.

For us embassy applicants, expect the results to come in on July. This has been the fact every year. So embassy people need to be more patient, especially given the influx of news mainly from CUP applicants. I received my scholarship news last year, July 28. This will also vary by country. But expect it to be during the latter half of july, that is when the news will come in. 

Roughly the process is: 

CUP Applicants: 

Applicant--> Uni--> CSC--> Uni-->Applicant [JUNE]

Embassy: 

Applicant-->Embassy-->CSC-->University-->CSC--> Embassy-->Applicant [JULY] 

As for my fellow embassy applicants, we are roughly on the stage where CSC forwards the application to the Uni. I've contacted Tsinghua and they have confirmed they received mine, first week of May. Now I have to wait until July. But rest assured, once you get pass through the Embassy and the CSC, you're good to go. 

@willamcarey,

ur post is very easy to read. I agree completely. Even the less popular uni has many people applied too. NENU has like over 700 applications directly sent to them this year. That's what the uni told me. It does not guarantee that apply to uni is easier. But the process indeed takes faster. Good luck to everyone and be patient.

Does anybody know if the CSC scholarship program is saturated by all the bursary requests or if it still has some ''financial room'' in it?

I have read somewhere that the number of foreign students actually in China has exceeded France's and the meteoric rise is still kickin'. 

Consequently, this would inevitably lead to more rejections this year compared to previous years: even lower-tier universities would be overwhelmed by all the incoming demands.

@karainbow how did u contact NENU, i sent my application to them in early April but i have never heard back from them. also my application status has not yet changed to currently checking. i think i was rejected

Does anybody know if the CSC scholarship program is saturated by all the bursary requests or if it still has some ''financial room'' in it?

I have read somewhere that the number of foreign students actually in China has exceeded France's and the meteoric rise is still kickin'.

Consequently, this would inevitably lead to more rejections this year compared to previous years: even lower-tier universities would be overwhelmed by all the incoming demands.

@breaknet,

it's hard to tell, but I was told by the embassy that the number of scholarships for my country (Costa Rica) was reduced from 81 to 41 this year. Initially, there were 120 applicants, but there are 2 filters, Ministry of international affairs will check your academic papers and a essay that you have to write about why you want to study in China and then (if you pass) you will have an interview with the embassy...after that only 60 people were left and allowed to send their applications. 60 people for 41 scholarships...my possibilities are high tho, I'm speculating that if the spaces were reduced in my country, maybe other countries had their spaces reduced as well.

Being honest with ourselves and based on the things that I have read on previous threads, Chinese scholarships are almost given to anyone that applies (eventho we all know how tedious the process and paperwork is) My friend was applying to get a Japanese scholarship and the paperwork and other filters were 100% more demanding than the Chinese. Maybe CSC realized that they were giving away too many scholarships.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

@karainbow how did u contact NENU, i sent my application to them in early April but i have never heard back from them. also my application status has not yet changed to currently checking. i think i was rejected

I got an email from them in late April that i has been selected as scholarship candidate. I have known a few people who applied to NENU and got the same email. I'm sorry to hear that, friend..

@lolo

Actually I did apply through embassy which encouraged us to contact our chosen university to inform them our interest and to "stay in touch".So I sent my award letter to Hebei uni of economics and business about 2 weeks ago and they asked me to send a scan of my CSC application to confirm my application number. I think after that, I guess they waited for my application pack been forwarded to them by CSC. Then last week, they emailed me to tell that they got my scholarship application pack and that they are going to accept me at their University. I had to send a copy of my passport 4 days ago. I hope it is for visa and admission letter. Still crossing my fingers and stressing over it though as I am still waiting for last approval from CSC. I will take it granted only when I have my admission letter, my visa and my flight ticket for China.

I'm a bit behind in terms of knowledge on visa application, passport issuing, and admission letter. Please kindly clear my doubt. I sent my application to my university. My copy of passport was attached. But i'm worried since my passport will be expired by March 2018. I am not allowed to extend it one more time since i already extended it twice so far. I need to register for a new one according to my country's policy.

Does it make it complicated for my admission and visa process? If i got selected, i will start class in September 2016. I am thinking to return back to my country during winter break (possibly January and February) to ask for a new passport. How it affect my visa because it was initially issued on my previous passport??? :cry::shrug:

@karainbow

I'm not really aware of visa procedures too but I think as long as your passport is not expired at your arrival in China it should be good. I don't know for your Chinese embassy but in my country they ask for at least one year valid passport to issue visa.Try to ask embassy what their standards are.

@Antsa,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I plan to ask the agency company that help in passport registration whether they have any idea on this matter. It will be wonderful if i can retain my old passport number in my new one.

But the application itself doesn't depend on the passport, right? Mine is going to expire in November this year, I plan to get a new one, if I get the scholarship, but I didn't do it just for the application.

@LaszloBalogh

I'm sure that your passport won't affect your application. You're going to be buying your own airline tickets anyways; I'm sure that they'll understand. When they send you a visa though then they might need your updated passport information. You could always bring both of them just in case.

For those with passport problems (e.g. immediately expiring ones), that is the same problem I faced last year. Don't worry, it's not a big deal. You just have to bring with you your old passport all the time, especially when you are applying for the student visa using a new passport.