Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Whenever I go to the hospital, I pay out of my own pocket. Is the medical insurance enough? Well, it is a bit of a hassle to begin with. What normally happens is you get sick, go to the hospital(s) covered by your medical insurance, you pay the bill and you submit a copy of the bill to your university. They will then decide whether or not your ailment coincides with what your insurance covers. They never really explain anything well enough, they don't specify what is covered and exactly how much. It's just ONE BIG HASSLE. So just try not to get sick.

So do you recommend me to contract a medical insurance by my own or not? I suppose it's necessary because I suffer a serious accident or disease. If I suffer that and I don't have a good insurance, hospitals won't treat me. What's better(and cheaper), buy the health insurance in my country or once I arrived in China?

@josesierrag

Hospitals wont treat you unless you pay them cash, no matter if you have insurance or not. However I recommend to get insurance in your home country as addition to the one chinese government provides.

@hannafit Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you! If you picked up Chinese quickly while abroad, the environment will definitely lead to leaps and bounds. I'm afraid I've been rather lax in my studies so I will need to catch up again  :wall

@insurance discussion: I went to China with an American 'international student' insurance purchased through a large uni system, which was mandatory for all students in my program. This insurance cost quite a bit given its international coverage, and still had rather terrible coverage. In Chengdu, there was only one hospital that it covered, and it was meant for 老外. For me, it worked out quite well as my bill was $450 and the insurance covered every yuan, but two of my friends went for minor ailments and the insurance wouldn't cover the $200 consultation fee since they weren't actually sick. Since you're more likely to suffer from 感冒or拉肚子 than some infection or illness, I wouldn't necessarily suggest paying out for the high cost international insurance.

• Like 2

@Alex Hart 

Well I've never been to China so this will be my first time. When I was in Germany I came back fluent so I really hope the same thing happens when I go to China. I studied one year of Chinese at my university so far. I've started to study again this summer by going over my textbooks, practicing writing, and doing mock HSK tests but I only got in about 6 hours this week...not too great either  :conf

And thank you!! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and being classmates!!! It's super exciting!!!

Has anyone who applied for the bilateral program got there acceptance letter yet?

Tsinghua seems to be quite confident that I got the scholarship but if I don't get the stuff soon it will be pretty problematic: I got accepted by my university as an exchange student at Tsinghua for one semester and if I don't get the CSC scholarship I have to manually try to get a dorm room and the online application for this will open at 25. Juli, so I hope I get my stuff before!

Also does anyone know who to contact when you want to "upgrade" your dorm room? As I understand it CSC is only paying the lowest class of rooms and I would like to get a single room or a shared dorm where you live with someone but both get a separate room. 

Even I just got my provincial scholarship and the result was out on 21st June. When i tried contacting uni they said it will take one and half month to reach the documents so I arranges  DHL express pickup from the Uni. Now the documents are with me. But i am still confused with my JW202.

Guys I am one of the guys who got scholarship confirmation around early June and the documents were sent to me but there was some mix up at EMS and i ended up receiving documents in someone's name. I have been communicating with the school and assured me that CSC will reproduce another set of docs for me but up to now nothing has materialized so far. I last sent mail on Friday 8 June and the guy in Charge told me not to worry myself. 

What do u think guys.

I never contacted CSC direct i am trying to follow protocol