Chinese-Forums

2017 CSC Scholarships

Angelina

• New Members

Hello everyone!

I have one urgent question as I am going to apply in few days but couldn't get the information from Chinese embassy or Chinese universities. I am applying for a masters in IR taught in Chinese. I already have HSK 5 but I think it is necessary for me to have at least one more year of preparatory Chinese course so I probably won't enclose it with my application (as suggested by an embassy official) . Does anyone know how this preparatory course works for masters students?

All the information I found so far was related only to bachelor students. 

The situation is even more complicated because this year, no option for preparatory language study is included in the online application. I got pre-admission letters from universities, but they only sent it to me after I provided my HSK results and they don't include language preparatory study so I won't enclose them either. I want to find out what the masters preparatory course looks like - if indeed there is such a thing- and what schools administer it. If it would be a problem to get this preparatory yeas as a part of the scholarship, I would just rather enclose my HSK results and pre-admission letters in my scholarship application, hoping I will survive studying in Chinese without any preparation. I hope this is not too confusing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Wish everyone good luck with their applications !

• Like 1

• New Members

@MrDuque Thank you. The section for preparatory language study is not in the system no matter what you enclose with it, and I did not enclose HSK anyway. I think it used to be there before but this year they changed it. Now you can only specify "duration of major study" and that's all.

4 hours ago, flipp said:

@MrDuque Thank you. The section for preparatory language study is not in the system no matter what you enclose with it, and I did not enclose HSK anyway. I think it used to be there before but this year they changed it. Now you can only specify "duration of major study" and that's all.

Just include it in your duration of major study. That's what I did. 

Does the 2 years language programme available this year ? I saw on 2015 CSC Scholarships thread that some members apply for 2 years programme. 
I was thinking to switch to 2 years language programme since I haven't enclosed a pre-admission letter with me when I sent my documents to the embassy.
By the way, those applying for the scholarships, when does the results of your nomination/recommendation coming out ? I felt a little bit nervous since this week the China embassy in my country gonna send an email to all the 60 applicants that's nominated by the embassy. I made a phone call this morning to the embassy and there are about 300+ applicants this year.

• New Members
23 hours ago, hejmeddig said:

I actually didn't think anything of it. I didn't feel like any legal, moral, or ethical code was violated either. Is it maybe a bigger thing in other countries? Most Chinese university sites also employ this method of user-uploaded letters.

It does not necessarily break those codes, but it prevents many people from applying (in the case that the recommender does not want to disclose his/her letter, which is quite often true even if no bad things were written about the applicant). Workarounds can be found but they considerably complicate the entire application process. All US university application systems I have heard of use the "please provide the email of the recommender" system. Same goes with the Chinese university I applied to - that, in my opinion, is the system that finds the consensus between respect of privacy and simplicity the best.

14 hours ago, miss-kapa said:

You've  actually got it all wrong. 'Into one document' that meant 'into one PDF document'. Of course letters are two, but they are "merged into one pdf file". If you want to do it onlie just google: merge PDF online. If you want to convert PDF into JPEG or other format google convert PDF file.

Good luck with your application. 

I am aware of that possibility, but that was not the point. Thanks, though.

14 hours ago, mal530 said:

I agree. My recommenders were surprised to know that the letters could easily be read by me, but they thankfully agreed to write them anyway. I managed to avoid reading the letters altogether even when merging them, but it's poor design of the portal on the part of the scholarship council and could make it difficult for some people to get the letters they need. 

Exactly! I hope they change it in future years for the benefits of applicants, recommenders, and the clarity of the entire process.

I tried emailing the embassy, but got no response. Should I be trying to email the schools that offer the program I'm interesting in? I'll be going to the embassy to get the information in person. Does anyone know what papers I need to prepare?

Ah, I think I understand now. There's a way to apply to the university online. Is it possible to apply to more than one university? And once I've filled out the applications, what do I do then? How do I know if the university has accepted me or not?

Edited by xit

13 hours ago, dgb328 said:

It does not necessarily break those codes, but it prevents many people from applying (in the case that the recommender does not want to disclose his/her letter, which is quite often true even if no bad things were written about the applicant). Workarounds can be found but they considerably complicate the entire application process. All US university application systems I have heard of use the "please provide the email of the recommender" system. Same goes with the Chinese university I applied to - that, in my opinion, is the system that finds the consensus between respect of privacy and simplicity the best.

OK, I can see how it complicates things a bit. Though for me, it made it much easier to apply, but only because I didn't have to use these complicated workarounds that you had to (if I had to jumps through hoops to upload a letter of rec, I'd be annoyed too). I did my undergrad in the US actually and neither of my professors had any reservations about sending me a copy of the letter directly. I didn't apply to any US universities for graduate school though so I am not familiar with the application systems.

1 minute ago, pturskis said:

The letter with my application documents for EU Window was lost by Belgium Post. FML :(:(:(

Seriously? I'd contact the Belgium office if you can... That's so unfortunate.

@hejmeddig Had friends file a complaint/inquiry with BPost, but pretty sure it will take forever, if they can find it all. Most importantly, they do not know where it is at the moment, and the deadline is this Friday.

Also, the fun part is that there are no numbers to call in English, only French, Dutch and German.

@pturskis They speak English, so you might want to call them and try to find a solution to your situation. As a Belgian citizen, I can vouch that bpost really sucks. Had a few issues with them in the past, and try to avoid them when possible. 

@karakorumthose are definitely not Africans, must be from a specific uni. Anyways I submitted my docs to some uni by post in Nanjing and on the tracking system it showed me the location Shanghai on DHL tracking as the place it was delivered. I have never got any response now a week later from the Uni of receipt of my hard copy docs. I have emailed them and still no response. Has anyone experienced this and is Nanjing the same as Shanghai in terms of the tracking status??