Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

To anyone who's having problems accessing the CSC website, I just received an email saying that the site can only be accessed between 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (Philippine time). They conduct daily maintenance outside those hours.

Hi! I would like to ask regarding the application to our selected universities. I am applying  for Chinese Language Course for 1 year. In CSC website,  it mentioned that it is compulsory to have the pre-admission letter. Is it okay if I only got 1 pre-admission letter rather than all 3 selected universities? Since I only apply for Language Courses. Is the pre-admission letter is actually is the same thing as an offer letter?

Thank you, everyone! Have a pleasant evening! 

@AprilWMS thanks for that helpful tip, though it would be handy for them to notify somewhere on the website or the application saying that..... my home university never mentioned anything either (Im only trying to go on exchange this summer).

My application said to apply 'before' mar 6, but I don't know if that means by the end of the day Mar 6 or if I was supposed to have applied by Mar 5. Because if that is the case then I have missed the deadline since it is already 9pm Philippines time.....

So I am also curious if anyone has been able to by-pass the deadline of doing it online? Because my program does not even ask for us to mail the documents in, it only asks for online which I thought would have been easily done, but with this problem that is not the cse. 

@korilives

You're right, it would have saved a lot of applicants from the worries of missing their deadlines. I couldn't find anything about that information on the internet either. I wouldn't have known if I didn't ask some of the relevant personnel here in my city. But yeah, it came really late. 

I'm not too sure if the deadline is really a "dead" line either. I surfed on older forums (starting 2007, 2011, 2012) and there were several people who applied after the deadline and still got the scholarship. They didn't follow instructions to the letter either. So just try submitting your application.

And lol, I'm in the same boat. The deadline was supposed to be April 1. However, I was informed today that I should submit the hardcopy application to the City Government which will endorse it to the Chinese Embassy in my country. And surprise surprise, the deadline is today. But then, I guess I still have the option of directly mailing the embassy. 

Hi guys, is it alright if I ask for your critique of my study plan in this forum or should I ask in a different forum instead? I made a draft last night and I want to edit it after I hear your feedback and suggestions. I'm really lost on what to write on my study plan and it came out far longer than it should be. I just wrote whatever was on my mind. It would be great if you can suggest which parts to cut, which aspects to emphasize, and if there is anything that I've missed. I am open to criticisms, constructive or not.

Hi April, I read your study plan and I would say that you conveyed your plan very well. Although I think it would be better if your rearrange the paragraphs based on sequence: your motivation to study in China, convince the selection committee on why they should give you scholarship, you mentioned that your family is struggling financially but you should be aware that hundreds or even thousands of applicants are also struggling financially so you should stand out from the rest.

You mentioned you are interested in learning Chinese, place that paragraph in the beginning and not towards the end because that can highlight your intention to immerse yourself in Chinese culture. Then place the paragraphs in sequence as to what will you exactly do from your first year to nth year. Finally, end the study plan by pointing out again your strengths. Remember that you need to convince a foreign government to give you  their money for free.

I'm from the Philippines too. I exactly know the feeling applying for this scholarship. 9 years ago, I don't know any Chinese too. You will enjoy the journey. That's for sure. May God bless you. You are free to ask me anything and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.  

was planning on applying, but the deadline was 1st March this year so i missed it. 

The website is http://www.edu-chineseembassy-uk.org/publish/portal24/tab5260/info94460.htm

@dami1221 how did you manage to quote me (i haven't sed a forum in years, oops!)

anyway, it seems that different applications windows have different deadlines then, directly with unis has a later date, and the eu window does too i think. i only just got my hsk result so i couldn't have applied for that either. are you doing a master/doctor or bachelor course/language?

On 3/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, AprilWMS said:

Hi guys, is it alright if I ask for your critique of my study plan in this forum or should I ask in a different forum instead? I made a draft last night and I want to edit it after I hear your feedback and suggestions. I'm really lost on what to write on my study plan and it came out far longer than it should be. I just wrote whatever was on my mind. It would be great if you can suggest which parts to cut, which aspects to emphasize, and if there is anything that I've missed. I am open to criticisms, constructive or not.

Hi April,

Assuming you are still trying to apply even with the confusion of the deadlines. I agree with some of the critiques that came through from someone else.

First off, dont dive into YOU (especially negative aspects of your life and the hard process of this application) right off the bat. You want to appeal to the committee and discuss the PROGRAM and why you think its AWESOME. Why China? Why this specific school? Why this program? You are not applying simply because you get scholarships but because you are passionate about immersing yourself in a new country, etc. For example : Hi I am April, an 18 year old student from the Philippines. I am eager to apply to _____ for ___ in China for many reasons. China is rich of history and culture, China's school system is world renowned, China provides ample opportunities for learning, etc. You would obviously expand on this a bit. 

After you get into a bit about why you really want to go to China, then you start talking about YOU. Why are YOU awesome? What are you passionate about? What do you strive for? What are you dreaming to do with your life? Then find a way to link that information to how China can help you achieve those milestones and can help you unlock your potential. 

IF you really find it necessary, you can talk about financial hardships and whatnot - but the committee is probably more interested in what you are going to do while studying there and afterwards. How are you going to be a good ambassador of this given university? How can your intercultural knowledge not only help you but help the community on and off campus?

I hope this makes sense. Right now your study plan seems like you are slightly complaining to a friend about this lengthy process, rather than trying to really show a selection committee that would give you $$ to go to school why they should select you over other people. 

This is your chance to SHINE. Talk about what interests you, your accomplishments (have you lived or travelled anywhere abroad before for a long time?; do you do clubs or activities or volunteering that can apply to this), etc. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

When sending two sets of hardcopies tothe university for CGS-University program application, do we send two reference letters each for two different sets or just one set of two orginal signed reference letters form professors?

On 3/3/2018 at 4:39 PM, RichS said:

I haven't been able to access it last two days either, or the Xiamen admissions website for that matter either.

So I just eceived an automated reply from Xiamen that their webste is under maintainence and will reopen only on the 21st of March

1 minute ago, Sa R said:

So I just eceived an automated reply from Xiamen that their webste is under maintainence and will reopen only on the 21st of March

Sorry which website will reopen Mar 21? the xiamen website or the China Scholarship Council (http://en.csc.edu.cn/) website? 

Can you post a photo of this announcement?

@Sa R about the recommendations, u are to get two different documents from 2 profs or associate of your uni. Make a copy each of these forms, then in mailing them, the originals are to be bound with the original copies of your documents while the two photocopies goes attached with the duplicates of your documents. These two sets of bound documents can den be placed in an envelope correctly addressed before mailing.

Note: try to arrange docs in d order instructed by d school

Best wishes pal

Is it possible to apply for the scholarship through several different windows (thus increasing the chance of receiving a scholarship). for the master it seems i can apply through the eu window or directly to the uni, i am thinking it may give me better chances. Also does anybody know if we could apply for Confucius or provincial scholarships at the same time?

@RichS me neither. I cannot open Xiamen admissions website for a couple of days. But i havent applied for the scholarship yet and i am afraid website is down until 21th march. then what am i supposed to do? as i have to look all the progress from their website :(

@Bedan Adjuster

Thank you ?. I have already restructured my study plan. I made it late at night and posted the rough draft. I cringed a bit when I reread it actually because it felt a bit shallow to me. 

Wow, a fellow Filipino, awesome! And lol, I do have questions, thank you for asking ?. Does this program have a limit on slots? And is it okay if I mail my application package directly to the embassy? I was told that the deadline for the submission of the hard copy to the City Hall (Davao) was yesterday because they still need to endorse it to the embassy. Is it fine to submit the application without the endorsement? 

• New Members

Hello, I am oscar from Mexico, I have a question, when is the deadlimit to apply to the schoolarship? because I want to enter to the chinese schoolarship page but I cannot, so I want to prepare everything in advance to send all my documments. Thank you. Other question, Can i send recommendation cards from the last years or must be from this year?