Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

12 hours ago, m.lee said:

Also it says “those withholding x1 visa or x2 are not eligible”, by that do they mean those who are going to have the x1 or x2 visa cannot apply? Or those who do not have it cannot apply? I’m really confused 

It means that people who already have X1 or X2 visas in their current passport cannot apply for the one semester scholarship.

http://www.confuciusinstitute.ac.uk/education/scholarships-to-china/

http://www.tju.edu.cn/sie/en/jxj/kzxyjxj/

I have an X2 visa from last year which means I cannot apply for the one semester scholarship.. 

11 hours ago, 安妮 said:

And for visa if u have been in China for more than one month then u can't apply coz u already had X1 so for  those withholding x1 visa or x2 are not eligible mean that applicants who have already been in China for whatever the reason art not eligible just for this scholarship {one semester} for the rest of the scholarships are eligible so no problems with people who applied for example for one year and they have been before in China

X1 visas are issued to students studying for more than six months in China. X2 for less than six months.

@m.lee

13 hours ago, m.lee said:

Because it’s a requirement of my degree to do one year in China so I’d rather not apply for a one semester scholarship if it means I’m not allowed to stay for two.

Perhaps you can contact someone at your university. Given the unexpected situation perhaps they will be able to help with funding, or if your program is linked to a CI then I wonder if they can pull some strings to save face.

Re semester length.. If you apply through this scheme as a scholarship student, I don’t think they would stop you enrolling as a private student for an additional term, if language courses are listed in your chosen universities website.

also I would be interested to know what credits you would miss out on just from studying for one semester only.. even if it’s a requirement for a full year. While not ideal you will need to speak to your degree program administrator about this.

@AaronUK I don't think it's the official advice. The CIS website has the email addresses of universities listed, also many unis have a special page on their website that is about CIS scholarship with email address to use in case of any questions. I remember that someone on this forum has argued that emailing universities may be a bad decision if there is no emergency, but I don't think it applies to all of them. I think some of unis would rather appreciate your commitment and interest when you email them

hi all, just want to share some progress.

I am from indonesia, applying for mtcsol at fujian normal university. 

I am not a CI student, get my recommendation from local CI (partner uni with fujian normal)

14th may 2018 (morning) : interview with FJNU 

14th may 2018 (night) : progress into step 4 (院校审核 - 预录取)

still waiting for stage 5. 

Hi guys, is the applications for the 1 year scholarship really over?

I had some problems and I couldn't send my application yet. If it's true it's so unfair, they should've waited for the deadline, check everybody's applications and only then make decisions.

Have any of you guys tried to reach Hanban? I'm panicked because I have waited for it for more than one year and I can't lose the opportunity. 

@h.p it seems like it is, but there's no harm in trying. None of us really knows how the system works

@A_G apparently once it used to be only a formality, now it definitely is more than that. Both last year and now many people had their applications moved back after already reaching stage 4. 

• Helpful 2

Hello, so after giving up on this year's scholarship because of the quota problems, mi CI told me they are working on it. So at least now I have 1% of hope. The thing is, every year my CI sends around 10 students to China. This year it would be zero, because of this new strange way of "filtering". So, my CI is angry at hanban, and they are asking for more quota I guess.

@这波不亏,666。 Only case I know is people arriving at the university 10 days before official semester starts, but it depends on the uni, as some might not accommodate you in advance, while others have no problem. Last year, I got my scholarship on june 30th, after that had to buy the plane tickets, wait for the papers to arrive from China, with those papers do the visas, etc...If you plan on staying outside the uni, then I guess there's no problem in going as soon as you are accepted and finished with all the paperwork. However, keep in mind that your Visa could expire before you finish your studies if you go too early!

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, 地球人 said:

Last year, I got my scholarship on june 30th, after that had to buy the plane tickets, wait for the papers to arrive from China, with those papers do the visas, e

How long did it take for you to receive all the documents for the visa after your reached stage 5?

• Good question! 2