Chinese-Forums

2018 CSC Scholarships

Angelina
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

1 hour ago, 谢恩灵 said:

Yeah you should just email them they are pretty good about responding. I'm on the list for CSC http://international.swufe.edu.cn/info/1062/1474.htm

@谢恩灵 Congratulations! That'sgreat. I just got a reply from them saying if I haven got a mail yet that means i have not got the schoalrship. But on their website, they have not put up the list of University scholarship- BELT and Road Scholarship program results. Any idea about that?

Are there any MOFCOM scholarship applicants here? If yes has your status changed from "Submitted" to "In progress" yet?

And after you submitted after attending interviews is it possible to withdraw make changes and resubmit? 

• New Members

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if my questions can be answered right now since they're relevant to the 2019 csc, but I'll ask anyway. 

In my case, I'll be graduating from university in 2019 and I was looking to apply to study Chinese for the year after that. I've already studied Chinese for 2 years and when I do the scholarship I'd like to be able to continue from where I left off. 

So my questions are:

1. Is there a program that exists that would allow me to do just that? 

2. Would that program require a certain Hsk level? If so, which one? 

This seems like information I should be getting from the links, but every time I've tried to look and understand, I get confused. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

• Like 1

We are in probably the exact same situation. I am myself a Chinese Language student in the second-year as well, and I have already applied for CSC scholarship, right now I am looking forward to the result. I guess we may have different methodologies when it comes about how each university works internally speaking, so in my case, I decided not to think too much about what happens with the university in my country while studying abroad in China. That doesn't mean anything reckless, it just means that, if I am going to get the scholarship for this year, considering that my university has no experience with students like me, I will probably have to freeze my year. Anyway. answering to your questions, as far as I heard, when you get the scholarship and go to the prior university, they will be checking(or at least question) your Chinese level and after that, you will be sent to a certain class level, along with other students. This semester I have been in China(i still am right now) to study Chinese through an exchange students' program. In the beginning, I told them I got HSK Level 3, so they placed me to a B-Class level in which you would prepare for HSK3/4. So it was almost the same level. And the levels were from the lowest one, A, to the highest, D. The only thing I cannot tell is whether this situation applies to other universities as well, especially when dealing with students from a government scholarship. But if this is the case or at least similar, you will be placed to a certain class based on your approximate level. Taking HSK is a good option to see which level you actually are prepared for, but it's not compulsory and the classes taken won't specifically stress on the HSK vocabulary. If there are other people who got in a similar situation, I hope they can answer you better than me, even I got to experience the things in China for now, I think it is going to be a little bit different if I am going to go next time. And also, the things and the way you study it in your university won't match almost at all with the stuff which you may learn in China. That is probably not possible, with the exception of two partnership universities which may together establish a special class that would start from the foreign university and continue in the Chinese one, but I quite doubt about that...

@Shyni

@Shyni there are quite a few Chinese language programmes both in the PRC and RoC.

In terms of HSK it depends - always go for the highest you can achieve.

There are then three options for you:

MA (taught in Chinese) - looking at a institution for it's literature/language programme that's taught in Chinese would probably be a good way to build on existing skills. That said I don't think a scholarship would necessarily come with the language lessons offers to English language MA students. But these will require a specific - many want HSK 5 for Liberal Arts and HSK 4 for Science

MA (taught in English) - there are programmes like Fudan's Chinese Language and Culture MA that offer a good grounding in the language side of things but all courses in China will include some Chinese language too - that if you're at a good university will be tailored to your talents and level. (I've included a screenshot of the modules on the Fudan course)

Pure Language Course - this often won't be certified like a degree etc and will be purely language teaching and as I haven't looked at applying for this I can't offer any advice, I've included a chart I found on CUCAS - perhaps the institutions themselves might be able to help further? 

I suspect there's probably a better place in the forum to ask than this threat, as this seems mainly concerned with the details of scholarships rather than course choices so knowledge of courses outside of people's immediate interest/what they applied for might be quite limited. I found this chart on

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 19.02.38.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 19.06.30.png

• Helpful 1

For type B, on the official website of CSC "The CSC reviews eligibility and qualifications of nominated candidates, approves the List of Scholarship Recipients, and sends the admission documents to universities before June 30th". Would the CSC portal of anyone of you guys changed from "In Progress" to Accepted or something else?

@Tuppy I applied through Type B also. My progress hasn't changed (still in progress). However, a few days ago, in the application portal of the university I applied to suddenly added a scholarship duration to my student information. When I asked my university regarding this, they told me to wait for official announcements, so I'm not sure what's happening in the process exactly. I guess we have to wait till the early days of July for official notice (if they do follow the June 30 deadline).

• Thanks 1

@MSG9 As my understanding, CSC should send the approval list along with other documents back to our university. And It is depended on the university to announce it officially if the CSC actually done that on 30th June. Probably the status would not change anymore even after the official announcement. The worse thing in my situation is that the staffs they never answer my e-mail even I mail its to 2-3 related offices. Thank you for sharing your case.

• Helpful 1

@Tuppy I heard from previous years that CSC almost never updates the actual site (people have mentioned that it remains "in progress" even till the time they've already received the scholarship and/or they've already arrived in china) so I doubt they ever update it. What I've grown to realize from the application process is just to be extremely patient because eventually they would reach out to you if news comes out. Good luck to you! 谢谢你, 朋友

• Helpful 1

@MSG9@Tuppy thanks for this information. It seems universities and tutors don't know all that much about this process. 

My tutor didn't even know Type B Scholarships were to do with the University selection and thought it was all down to CSC for example
He's since told me that the ISO think that because they haven't heard anything (this was about 10 days ago) they don't think the scholarship chances are too good.
If the results are only released by the CSC on the 30th of June this seems a bit hasty? 

• Like 1

@tomovhell The CSC website stated that (as was mentioned before by @Tuppy) Type B scholarship are reviewed by the universities and then sent over to the CSC for finalization. But ultimately, as far as I know, the huge chunk of the reviewing process is done by the university. It's quite sketchy also even in my university because I applied for the university-based scholarship, but they told me that they recommended me for the Type B CSC/CSG Scholarship so I guess it really depends on the university who they want to nominate? But who knows really. Haha. I do think it's quite annoying how the deadlines are off, but the only thing we can do really is wait for the results at this point.

• Thanks 1

ECNU told me to apply for csc in may,  csc portal shows in process. 

ZJU never contacted,  I emailed to ask if I was rejected, since i never recieved any email about the csc nominee list. But I was told to wait till the end of July for results. csc portal shows submitted.  

anybody received any email from ZJU about CSC?

Can “in progress” status mean also rejected? I mean, my status changed rather quickly after I submitted my application through the embassy. And since I still don’t have a nomination email by any university I’m pretty scared..

My second choice told me my application did not reach them and the first one is Peking. It’s hard to believe Peking would accept idk ? 

2 hours ago, Katoo said:

Can “in progress” status mean also rejected? I mean, my status changed rather quickly after I submitted my application through the embassy. And since I still don’t have a nomination email by any university I’m pretty scared..

My second choice told me my application did not reach them and the first one is Peking. It’s hard to believe Peking would accept idk ? 

The same happened with me tho. Like, the status changed quickly to "In Progress" but I guess it's pretty normal(?) 

Even I mailed my university choices, but they literally didn't answer my query or rather misunderstood my question so I gave up. Let's hope for the best!

• Thanks 1