Chinese-Forums

2019 CSC Scholarships

lethargica
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

Hi @GabrielaVD I certainly didn't get the scholarship because I was rejected.

When I passed the preliminary review, my status on their admission platform changed from "In Process" to "Waiting for academic review" and they sent a message explaining that I have passed the initial review and that my application is now being sent to the department I applied to where a professor will accept me as his/her supervisor if my study proposal falls in their research interests too.

Received another message a week later that said my study proposal and research interests did not get chosen by any professor in the department and as a result, I was rejected. My status then changed from "Waiting for academic review" to "Rejected" and that was the end.

You shouldn't be worried. To each their own. 

Applied "Type B".

• Like 1

1.  Is the linked site just information about Scholarship opportunities available at different School in China, or is it an organization that offers scholarships? 
  2. If Confuscious requires HSK level 3, but I could probably pass HSK4, which should I sign up for? 
  3. If I already have an undergraduate degree, is there still any scholarship program that would consider me?

@Mohamud and @BM As already said by @philippo in many of his posts, the status on the CSC page bears a significance in your application progress but not a 100% surety of getting the scholarship. 

Why? Many instances have been given of people getting the scholarship when their status was still "Submitted" and others being rejected though theirs had changed from "Submitted" to "In progress". This was evident in many cases last year if you read through their forum. 

So yes, it may be a good sign if the status changed, but there is still that possibility of not getting the scholarship. Wish you guys well.

• Like 1

good day guys

i did an application with shandong university  and got this reply "

The program you applied is overdue now or has changed, please delete your original application and re-submit again, please contact the International Students Admissions Office if you 
have any questions"
I couldn't delete and obviously created a new account for another application.
i later got another reapply saying :

Dear Applicant,

Do not worry. You can ignore that message. It won't adversely affect your application.

Am now confuse since have already reapplied thinking my previous application was cancelled.

i will like to know if this can cause my application negatively?

• Like 1

@BaneGlory You could probably get the answers to your questions on this website.....

http://www.campuschina.org

1.  Is the linked site just information about Scholarship opportunities available at different School in China, or is it an organization that offers scholarships? 
  2. If Confuscious requires HSK level 3, but I could probably pass HSK4, which should I sign up for? 
  3. If I already have an undergraduate degree, is there still any scholarship program that would consider me?

Hi, thanks for responding.

1. If I'm understanding correctly... what I'm reading here from the site you linked , it appears that CSC or Campus China is a Chinese Government organization that offers scholarships, separate from but perhaps in conjunction with, those offered by the Confucius Institute & individual Universities.  Do I have that right? 
  2. Not on your link, but on the HanBan-CI site I think I figured it out: For one year of Confucius it looks like I need either an HSK4 180 + HSKK Intermediate 60 or an HSK3 210 (TCSOL is HSK4 270). For a semester, an HSK3 of 180 or any score is required. (Teaching masters is HSK5 210, HSKK Intermediate 60. Teaching bachelors is HSK5 210, HSKK Intermediate 60.)
  3. I know there are are some non degree, or post graduate, Scholarships but I'm still not sure if any of these scholarships are fair or very few. 

On 4/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, 디에고 said:

Same case here !

no worries about that. I have two type A applicatiosn, one is submitted and the other one in progress

As others said I dont think we can know much about the process by the csc webpage status

hope for the best

• Like 1

@BaneGlory Partly right. Ok, let's see if I can explain a bit. The website just provides information on the various universities in China, programs, scholarships, etc. It's not the website (as an organization) that provides the scholarship. It only gives you information you might need.

The scholarship in itself is offered by the Chinese Government. There are other scholarships too, some offered by the university you are applying to, others by the province in which the university is located.

Check this link for information on Confucius Institute Scholarship........

http://cis.chinese.cn/Account/Proceduresfor?lang=en-us

The Chinese Government Scholarship is open to all(undergraduate, graduate, non-degree) as long as you apply within the deadline and meet the requirements.

9 minutes ago, CubePhil said:

Check this link for information on Confucius Institute Scholarship........

http://cis.chinese.cn/Account/Proceduresfor?lang=en-us

Okay yep, yeah that that was the source for all of my information on HSK test requirements. I think I understand how Confucius works now:

1. A scholarship is coming from China/Beijing/HanBan/Confucius, it's all the same source/thing administrated by the Confucius Institute (孔子学院).
  2. Confucius institutes are located all around the world, running semi-autonomously, usually within the Chinese or Asian studies departments of universities. 
  3. HSK Tests are always a requirement, they are administered at Testing Centers which are at these International Confucius sites. 
  4. Universities in China may give scholarships of their own (the Confucius Institute may or may not be aware of scholarships granted by specific universities).

32 minutes ago, CubePhil said:

as long as you apply within the deadline and meet the requirements.

Thanks again for all the clarification and help.

Is it just me or is it really difficult to find and schedule the HSK test? I registered on the official registration website, however they don't have anything resembling a good list or search or map of test centers.

I found this schedule:

https://www.chinaeducenter.com/en/hsk/hsktestdates.php

And this list of centers:

https://www.chinaeducenter.com/en/hsk/hsktestcenter.php

However it's hard to match them up when you're selecting a drop-down center from the registration website, and it doesn't seem like the match.

It sucks because there was a Registration date on April 14th, and I found that schedule on the 15th. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, BaneGlory said:

If Confuscious requires HSK level 3, but I could probably pass HSK4, which should I sign up for? 

Go for HSK 4 and Intermediate speaking if you can think you can pass with at least 210 points and (assuming you are applying for Chinese language courses).

http://www.chinesetest.cn/goKdInfoOrPlan.do

^^ the official HSK website lists all the test centres.

Edit: you should be replying in the Confucius Scholarship thread if you want help related to the CIS.

14 minutes ago, 芒果乾 said:

^^ the official HSK website lists all the test centres.

Edit: you should be replying in the Confucius Scholarship thread if you want help related to the CIS.

The website has a drop down with test center names but those do not always include city names. As far as I can tell the closest center is San Francisco which is insane because I'm closer to Los Angeles.

I haven't taken practice test yet, I doubt they exist for HSKK speaking, hard to know how well I would do, especially after a 300 mile drive. 

5 minutes ago, BaneGlory said:

As far as I can tell the closest center is San Francisco which is insane because I'm closer to Los Angeles.

美国洛杉矶加州大学孔子学院 is on the list. You need to go through the whole list as their organisation of centre names are not that good :lol:

8 minutes ago, 芒果乾 said:

美国洛杉矶加州大学孔子学院 is on the list. You need to go through the whole list as their organisation of centre names are not that good :lol:

Do you know what the name of the UC Santa Barbara one is? 

E: 加州大学圣芭芭拉分校孔子学院

http://www.hanban.org/confuciousinstitutes/node_42926.htm

For UCLA it says they're offering a test in 2006 and at UC Santa Barbara it says 2012. Awesome.