Chinese-Forums

2019 CSC Scholarships

lethargica
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

4 hours ago, hy said:

wasted

Because as I didn't apply to the schools, it seems like my chances of being admitted are zero, even though I could get the scholarship. To be honest, from the embassy they told me that it depends on CSC and the school, but I'm not so positive about that. I have been thinking of applying for CIS

@xbyren I think you should just wait for results instead of jumping to conclusions. The Chinese dont really follow standard processes like the rest of the world XD l know of people who have applied and sent their documents perfectly and didnt get it, and people who sent papers with some mistakes and were awarded the scholarship. 

2 hours ago, GabrielaVD said:

think you should just wait for results instead of jumping to conclusions. The Chinese dont really follow standard processes

I think you're right. But at the same time I'm in a "particular" situation: as I applied for a one year Chinese course + master in Chinese, I would prefer to get the CSI for one year, get the appropriate hsk certificate and then apply for the Chinese master's CSC in the following year in the school I really want to, rather than doing the one Chinese year course and the masters at a school that I don't like. Yet, as the course and the master are all in Chinese, I don't know if I would have more chances to get it...

I appreciate all your comments

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, BaneGlory said:

Do you think it's smarter, and better, to look for scholarships done by schools instead? 

You need to look at the individual universities in what scholarships they offer. The deadlines for Type B CSC scholarships have probably passed by now. You might be too late for the CIS to start in September as most deadlines are in May or mid June and you need HSK/HSKK test results as part of the requirements. You may be able to apply for a semester study to start in March next year (CIS).

Good luck!

4 hours ago, xbyren said:

it seems like my chances of being admitted are zero

By not applying at all, the chances are definitely a big fat zero :lol:

You said you are at HSK 4 and wanting to achieve HSK 6 within one academic year.. that may be possible but you will need to work your backside off as the jump between 4 and 6 is huge.

3 hours ago, GabrielaVD said:

The Chinese dont really follow standard processes like the rest of the world XD l know of people who have applied and sent their documents perfectly and didnt get it, and people who sent papers with some mistakes and were awarded the scholarship. 

I think the Chinese follow the standard processes like the rest of the world and place huge importance in what you write in your study plan/personal statement :wink: 

1 hour ago, 芒果乾 said:

not applying at all, the chances are definitely a big fat zero

I have applied for the scholarship, but not for the schools.

1 hour ago, 芒果乾 said:

You said you are at HSK 4 and wanting to achieve HSK 6 within one academic year.

I have hsk 4 on paper but currently I pass hsk5 easily. So I guess that with hard work I could achieve the hsk6 target

• New Members

Hi guys, so I am in this situation

My target university accepted me and I also passed the review (type B), but because I got another scholarship to do research in the US, I'd like to take the chance, while I'd prefer to wait for CSC to next year.

So what Im asking is: what happens if you reject the CSC and apply next year? You dont get it?

Cheers

• Good question! 1

@NAINU235 I hope you don't mind if I point this out. Csc don't like awarding scholarship and people rejecting it. I have heard so many stories of people turning down csc and csc blacklist their names from future applications. So many people wish they get in and some  people reject it???. It's rather unfair I may say. I had a friend that turned it down and later decided to accept it but he was denied it. This has been happening and that's one of the reason @jabri the school he applied to now demands you pay an acceptance fee which they would refund you when you get to china. It shows you dedication to be committed to such scholarship. 

You make your choice. U can still try csc lata but I doubt if it would work but their is no harm in trying. Because some school have there main list and also the waiting list. Once somebody rejects his scholarship, they would give it to someone else so it was not waste.

Congrats on your American scholarship ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaquelle Mckenzie said:

“Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best.”

That's really appreciated right now!

• Like 1

Guys and girls: what would you do?

I have applied for a general scholar (Chinese language) scholarship via:

* the UK Chinese embassy.. 1. Shanghai Jiaotong (SJTU) 2. Fudan 3. Donghua

* the EU Window.. 1. ECNU 2. Tongji 3. Zhejiang Uni

The status of the UK Chinese embassy application has changed to "in progress" and the EU Window is still at "submitted". This is my order of preference:

1. SJTU

2. ECNU

3. Fudan

4. Tongji

I really want to get into SJTU.. even more than ECNU or Fudan. I am thinking whether I should withdraw my EU Window application as it could affect my UK Chinese embassy application (as the CSC chooses the university for you). SJTU accepts general scholars as I looked at the EU Window winners list last year and around three people got a general scholar place even though SJTU does not specifically state they accept CSC general scholar applications on their international students website nor does CSC mention this on the campuschina.org website.

After the application status changes to "in progress", then there is no option to withdraw. So.. should I withdraw the EU Window application now or leave it as it is? The EU Window is competitive as there are only 115 or so places on offer this year, not sure how competitive the UK side is. I am aware that the application status does not mean much so I could still be rejected by all three universities or CSC on the UK application.

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

25 minutes ago, 芒果乾 said:

should I withdraw the EU Window application

i think we are on a similar situation.. I have been thinking of changing my major from master to Chinese language course... My application on embassy is already in progress, but the EU one still submitted... I dont know how a change would affect the application right now

Hi guys, I got a response from Peking, they said "如果学校收到你的申请材料就会审核, 具体结果请咨询使馆" 

This means that as long as they receive my docs, they will evaluate them

So as Im recommended to CSC by embassy, Im confident they will send my docs to my preferred unis, and they will check them..

• Like 1

• New Members

@GabrielaVD  I want to study at Fudan University in Shanghai (The 1 year Chinese Laguage Course, NOT a degree) AFTER my undergrad here in Canada, so i there would only be a few months left to my bachelor when i apply for the chinese language program.

1) Which scholarship (CSC,COnfusius, etc?) did you apply for when you signed up for a 1 year chinese language program ?? Did it cover all the tuition and accommodations cost??

2) HOW and WHERE (consulate, website,etc) and When did you apply?

3) Do you also have to apply for the university program On the University Website? If yes, Before or After applying for the scholarship?

4) How much are the language programs as I can't seem to find the costs on the web sites (in general)?

5) What were the prerequisites to be accepted?

Thank you for your time :)

Im 19 yrs old and I will be 21/22yrs old when i graduate from my bachelor here in canada. I speak french and engish fluently

Bonjour, @julien13

Im gonna try to answer as clear as my English allows me XD, but take into account that I can only speak about the Chinese Government Scholarship type A, this is applying through Embassy, not directly to university or Confucious Institute. I know a bit about these as well, but the CGS is my personal experience ?

12 hours ago, julien13 said:

want to study at Fudan University in Shanghai (The 1 year Chinese Laguage Course, NOT a degree) AFTER my undergrad here in Canada, so i there would only be a few months left to my bachelor when i apply for the chinese language program.

R-you can apply as long as you are 16+, having an undergrad to apply for a one year language course is not necessary. I interrupted my undergrad half way through it and then finished it when I came back. I would advise you that Fudan is super competitive, most foreigners choose it as a first option, so the chances to get in through scholarship are hard, l think itd be easier to get in a language course there as a self funded student. Im not saying tdont apply there if thats what you want, but they can only accept a certain amount of scholarship students so its difficult to get in there cause of their cuota I think

1) Which scholarship (CSC,COnfusius, etc?) did you apply for when you signed up for a 1 year chinese language program ?

R- CSC type A

Did it cover all the tuition and accommodations cost??

R- yes, but it was cause my uni (Chongqing uni) and other 20 unis dont  charge anything when accepted by CSC. I think the rest of the unis have a fee once you are accepted but I dont know how much. It covered 3000 yuan which is a lot in CQ but I think that amount is just barely to live through the month in SH or BJ. Accomodation is always covered, you get a room with a roomate. The only thing I had to pay with my tuition was electricity bill, books at the beggining of the year and my food, of course, but this was all cheap in CQ. It might depend on your dormitory, tho, a friend of mine had to pay the internet as well.

2) HOW and WHERE (consulate, website,etc) and When did you apply?

R-I applied through my Embassy. In my country the Foreign Office has a section of foreing scholarships, so I just had to wait until they opened the on for China , in February. Its usually open between January and April, but through Embassy you got to check your countries requisites and daedlines. CSC only opens in Jan-Apr, and everyone starts in Sep. As for the how, the scholarship annnouncement you can see it in campuschina.org, in the scholarship section.

3) Do you also have to apply for the university program On the University Website? If yes, Before or After applying for the scholarship?

R- ok, so there is CSC type A (Embassy) and type B (applying directly to the uni). Type B do not cover language students, only Master and Pdh. With Type A is not a requirement (even if part of the applicatiom is an admission letter, but this is not a requirement) to apply to the program UNLESS the universities (you can have 3 options) specifically request this. You would have to check every uni you choose special requirements (such this, or english level) to apply as correctly as possible. Its not difficult, every uni accepting CSC students have a page about the scholarship.

4) How much are the language programs as I can't seem to find the costs on the web sites (in general)?

R-you can find the cost of the programs in campuschina.org and cucas (please google cucas china, they have a lot of info, they help with self funded students applications so just use them for info, not related to CSC). I have to advice you that CSC only covers up to 30,000 yuan programs.If your program is more expensive you pay the difference or you get relocated. Language programs usually cost 18,000 yuan.

5) What were the prerequisites to be accepted?

R-Please look at campuschina.org for a detail answer. For language students, as far as I can remember are your transcripst from high school and the latest one from uni. Some physical exams, there is a template of the exact physical exam, just google china physical exam for foreigner if you are curious. The application form online, that you can find in the front page of campuschina.org but would have to make an account. I dont remember what else, but applying for language is easy, especially compared to applying to Master and Phd (Im waiting on results for a Master at the moment)

Thank you for your time :)

R-De rien ?

Im 19 yrs old and I will be 21/22yrs old when i graduate from my bachelor here in canada. I speak french and engish fluently

R-thats great, please take into account that you need to proof your English level with Toefl or some other Eng exams, so you can take it with time before you have to apply. Also, speaking amy other language than Chinese wont help much haha well, in SH theres a lot of foreigners so you are not very 'forced' to speak Chinese. In CQ well, English you could only speak with some people, a lot of foreigners didnt have a good Eng either, but in SH is not a problem, I think.

do you know if I can apply throught the Consulate and not the embassy?

R- Honestly, not idea. In my country there is only an Embassy, but I think Ive seen in the forums that Americans usually send their docs to nearby Consulates and I guess the Consulates send the docs to the Embassy altogether. You have to find out how the process is in your country

Bonne chance!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, GabrielaVD said:

I think Ive seen in the forums that Americans usually send their docs to nearby Consulates and I guess the Consulates send the docs to the Embassy altogether

Not sure what the consulate does with the application, but I am American and sent my application to the local consulate. Each consulate has their own Agency Number

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 6:43 PM, lecerzu said:

I asked SRE if they know when will they notify the pre-selected candidates, and they just replied me there was no pre-selction process this year, since they sent all applications to the Chinese Embassy.

Hi @lecerzu

I was thinking of this comment you said since I havent gotten any new info from SRE or Embassy, yet. I was thinking, in the online application, did you upload your docs already translated by official translator? I did this, and I was waiting for pre-selection to send them again, but do you think if there is no pre-selection this year we'll just be given the accepted or rejected results?